The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

Vent by passengers feet!

Planning the process of installing interior. There is a vent down by the passengers feet which appears to be operated by a spring loaded gadget. Is this connected to the heater / vent controls(there is a wire attached)? Also have people simply eliminated it when redoing interior? Does it have a an additional function I might be unaware of? Is it an intake for instance and necessary to the heater function??
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
eighteenninetytwo

Re: Vent by passengers feet!

still needing a bit of advice on this? Specifically is this vent by the passenger's feet a necessary item for the functioning of the heating systems? I'm planning on a soft top so actual ventilation isn't a concern.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I thought they only vented outside air into the passenger compartment. I use mine in the summer, they really do help keep cool with no AC.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
eighteenninetytwo

There is a spring tensioned gadget and a single wire to the actuator. How does this work??
Old 12-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

LMC usually has an exploded view online, here's a link to where a member rebuilt his: LINK.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 12-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
SilverMiner

It seems to me that the OP is specifically asking about the passenger side vent of a rig with AC, which is considerably different than the manually operated vent found on non-AC trucks and rebuilt in the Restoring Rusty thread.

I've been following this thread because I also have a vent sitting on the floor of my garage that I'm wondering if I'll be able to reassemble. It is vacuum actuated with a fairly complex spring arrangement. I'm worried I may have lost critical parts, so my plan is to head to the junkyard once it warms up a bit and hope that I can find one there to examine.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMiner View Post
It seems to me that the OP is specifically asking about the passenger side vent of a rig with AC, which is considerably different than the manually operated vent found on non-AC trucks and rebuilt in the Restoring Rusty thread.

I've been following this thread because I also have a vent sitting on the floor of my garage that I'm wondering if I'll be able to reassemble. It is vacuum actuated with a fairly complex spring arrangement. I'm worried I may have lost critical parts, so my plan is to head to the junkyard once it warms up a bit and hope that I can find one there to examine.
He is. My 79 has been under a cover so long I forgot about that arrangement. In which case swapping in a manual vent assembly from a non-AC truck might make more sense for you than blocking that off. If you're still not planning to run AC.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 12-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
eighteenninetytwo

AAAAH thank you. Yes the existing vent is from the old A/C but that has been dispensed with as I'm going to be running a soft topper and humidity is not an issue here. I'd assume that the manual vent is the same on teh C10/20 and K10/20 trucks from 1975 also that do not have A/C. Guess its another trip to pick n pull. Also if I do that then mine would be available for dispatch thereafter.