The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2024, 11:39 AM   #1
Joyridin

Holes in door panels

My truck has a set of door panels from a 72 C10. I like the panels and would like to keep them on the truck. Somebody drilled holes in the panels around the edge and used screws to hold the panel in place instead of clips. There are about 6-8 holes.

The panels are in beautiful shape except for these holes. Has anybody found a good way to fill them so they are not noticeable? The panels are black.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:50 PM   #2
PbFut

Re: Holes in door panels

I don't think you will get the fill to match texture of the panel. The hole will always have a mark.
As for fill material, I would think the plastic bumper repair stuff would probably be your best option. And a lot of patience.
Would a trim button designed to cover a screw look better. BMW used them on interior trim 25yrs ago.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:45 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Re: Holes in door panels

That would be difficult to make not noticeable. I remember back in the 70's and 80's seeing ads on TV about vinyl repair kits, and they have the vinyl fill and a variety of different texture things that you stamp on the surface as it's curing in order to make the texture. Some use heat and some do not. If I were to try something and didn't find a kit with a texture that was close enough, I would try putting a thin coat of WD40 to act as a releasing agent on some of the panel where there is not a hole, and spread a 1/4 inch thick blob of clear RTV on there to create a texture stamp. After it cures for a couple days, peel it off. Then practice using it as a stamp to smash on and texture whatever product you patch the holes with, probably waiting until that product is almost set. Use some sort of releasing agent on the stamp, probably some WD40 would serve that purpose.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote