The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2024, 11:14 AM   #1
novaX522

Just when you think you’re caught up….

Been driving my 72 around since a mechanical overhaul. Hauled chairs to my daughters. Took wife to dinner, and buzzing around town in the truck. I took it to the car wash to rinse out some dirt in the bed and smelled hot brakes. It took a little effort to get it to go , like a brake was stuck. Drove it back home and touched the wheels. The passenger rear was hot. I did new brakes and drums, so I figured I had it adjusted wrong. Got the tire off and the drum came off fairly easy. Found some brake dust in the drum. I didn’t see anything wrong with the install. I remembered this side was wet and dirty when I rebuilt it. I guessed it was the brake cylinder and replaced it. That area is dry now. I looked under the axle and found a trace of axle grease coming out.
I’m guessing the axle bearing and seal are bad. As hot as it got, I’ll have to check the axle surface for damage, might need offset bearing. If I’m gonna tear one side apart, I might as well do both sides. My dad taught me years ago if there’s a problem on one side, the other side is probably not too far behind.
novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
68bowtie

Re: Just when you think you’re caught up….

Bummer! Hopefully you pin it down the first shot and get it fixed.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:00 PM   #3
Sheepdip

Your Dad is a wise man!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:36 PM   #4
PbFut

I raced around in a BMW for about 15 years at most of the west coast tracks. One weekend I rolled off the trailer to find that the left front wheel bearing was bad. I had missed it during my check out before I left the house. I called a fellow racer who was a parts manager. He had not left for the track and agreed to bring me a replacement. He asked if I was sure I did not want 2. The cheapskate that I am, I said no, 1s good. By Sunday afternoon the left side had also gone bad. I had to load up early. Those bearings failed within hours of each other. Quiet and smooth to kicking back the brake pads kind of bad. Who would have thought that two sides would fail together. If you are not very familiar with the repair, do one side at a time so you have a reference.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 03:20 PM   #5
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Your Dad is a wise man!
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2024, 03:26 PM   #6
novaX522

Next road block, the bolt that holds the center pin in is broke off inside the center section. It came out easy, that’s when I realized it was half gone. Someone in the past broke the bolt and stuck it back on and left it. 😡
Poor design by GM. Well back at to see if I can get the rest out.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2024, 03:38 PM   #7
dmjlambert

Getting the rest out is medium difficult. For me it took patience. Here is what I did. If I didn't have that compact air drill so I could get just the right angle, I would have bought the extractor kit with long drill bit. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841065
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 05:00 PM   #8
novaX522

I should’ve watched your video first. I actually did drill a hole through a bolt to use as a guide, but I don’t have the long drill bit. I fought it for several hours with no luck. I got out my cutoff wheel and cut through the carrier and cut the bolt. I got it out, but ruined the carrier. Great time for an upgrade. Since I’m in Iowa, I’ll drive down to Quick Performance. They have a great deal on a posi center with gears and bearings. Old center was non posi, with 3.08 gears. They offer several gears, I’m going to go with the 3.42 gear.