The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Recommendations for some 6.5 components

Anybody recommend a particular brand/model?

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Recommendations for some 6.5 components

It really does depend on what type of music you listen to.

Personally, I love MB Quart, Focal, JL Audio, and Arc Audio.

The performance of the speakers is also going to depend heavily on tuning, amp selection, speaker placement and signal quality.

I remember that you're having a set of kick panels made for your truck, so the placement is near perfect. Now, if you don't want to put speakers in the dash (not sure if the truck originally came with them) then I suggest the Focal 165KRC's matched with an Arc Audio amp. Either the KS300.2 or KS300.4 (which can be painted to match your truck), the KS125.2 Mini or KS125.4 Mini (which can be hidden almost anywhere in the truck).

Also, it depends on how much you want to spend. Let me know if you want more information. I can gather part numbers and MSRP on certain products.

http://www.focal-america.com/

http://www.arcaudio.com/products.asp

http://www.arcaudio.com/amps.asp

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
C10 Club Tennessee

I listen to Van Halen, Leppard, Crue, you know, good music

My body guy has some 6.5 component pods that he had made for his truck but decided not to use them. He said I could have them if I wanted. Looks like they'll mount really well down by the kick panel.

Reasonably priced

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4

Last edited by 5150; 11-17-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Ok, you and I listen to alot of the same stuff.

I'd go with either the Focal 165KRC's, or a set of MB Quart Reference speakers. Maybe the Premium's if you don't mind dropping the extra coin. Feed either set with a good amp and you'll hear notes and tones you didn't know were there. You'll also here all the background noise from the super old recordings...

I haven't found any "remastered" recordings of Stairway to Heaven or Freebird, but I'll let you know if I do...

Side note: If you don't mind dropping the extra coin, get the MB Quart Premium components. You'll never want to stop listening. Every tone, symbol, guitar string, everything is so clear. It's hard to put into words really, but it makes you appreciate the music that much more...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
C10 Club Tennessee

ace, where are the best prices at? besides the normal ebay stuff

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I don't trust ebay for anything any more. There's alot of fake product as of late popping up on ebay.

I'd check with a local shop and see what they can do for you. I'll look around for a "licensed" online Focal dealer and also one for MB Quart. I get all my parts through a local shop...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
imillionmax

www.onlinecarstereo.com/ has a ton of stuff and really good prices, especially on sale items. They also have very great feedback
imillionmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
AZGrower

A great low end set would be CDT Audio CL-61A.
Can be had for about $150

Higher end like Dynaudio can be found for about 4 bills. I also like the Image Dynamics CSX6 set.

Or you can go with an active set like some Seas CA18rnx mids and LPG 25nfa tweeters, but require an actively controlled crossover network to separate the frequencies to the appropriate speakers.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
AZGrower

Yes, this a great resource! I have bought several pieces of equipment from them with no problems and they have great pricing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imillionmax View Post
www.onlinecarstereo.com/ has a ton of stuff and really good prices, especially on sale items. They also have very great feedback
Old 01-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
frostie_122

How much do you wanna spend? Didn't you want them to be water proof?
if waterproof is what you want JL audio is the best marine out there. If not a big deal Hertz/Audison makes entry level to super high end components that will blow you away. I've sold/heard/and seen many many speakers in my career in the mobile audio domain an nothing comes close.
frostie_122 is offline   Reply With Quote