The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
panhead59

Panhard bar ?

Working on a 68 SWB. I'm removing the springs, panhard bar and shocks getting ready for a 4/6 drop. Is the bolt that mounts the panhard bar under frame threaded through the bushing? I have the nut off, and have the bolt spinning freely. A few smacks with a small sledge hammer and it's not budging. And it's not unscrewing like it's threaded. Just beat the %^&* out of it or what? Also having trouble loosening the bolts under the top of the springs. A 4 ft. bar wouldn't break em loose. Got em soaking in Kroil and will get a better impact gun I guess. I am gonna hate to get out the sawsall and then drill 'em out!!!! Suggestions?

Last edited by panhead59; 07-02-2017 at 06:45 PM.
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
panhead59

Re: Panhard bar ?

Would a propane torch like you would use for plumbing get those two upper coil spring bolts hot enough to help loosen them up ?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
68c10airstream

Panhard bar has bushings on both ends, it's not threaded. If you plan on replacing the panhard bar might as well fire up the sawzall and cut the bolt off inside of the frame mount next to the side of the panhard bar bushing because the bolt is seized. to the bushing metal sleeve.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
panhead59

I was afraid of that. I just thought that since I could spin the bolt freely that it wasn't seized. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes I guess. I'll try heat on those upper spring mounting bolts but I have a sickening feeling that it's sawzall and drill time for those as well. Fun ,fun.