The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
Deltaskier

Need advice 84 c10

Sorry for this newb question that you guys have probably seen a million times. I would really like to air ride an 84 c10 but just can't justify the cost, especially since I haven't ever even ridden in one with air ride.

Here's my situation. I have an 84 GMC 1/2 ton with a straight 6. I plan to put a 454 in there so right off the bat I need new springs. Not liking the price tag associated with air bag systems, I saw other lowering kits online. Specifically the cheap 2" kit that came with lowering springs. I need opinions on these please. Or opinions on the best way to accomplish lowering the truck slightly, getting stiffer springs to accomodate the big block, not breaking the bank, and not bouncing the fillings out of my head from a rough ride.

I'm technically not a fan of lowered trucks, I prefer 4x4's. But I can appreciate the look of a little lift to give the truck a good stance. The only thing I have ridden in that was lowered was in the early 90's in a friend's mini truck. I definitely don't want that rough ride.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:55 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Need advice 84 c10

I would run oem springs and get drop spindles,This way you get the 2 inch drop and still have a oem height spring in it for the ride.And keep in mind ride quality is springs shocks and tires.A taller side wall tire will ride smoother then a shorter side wall tire.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
D13

The big block will lower your truck. Buy new Moog HD springs and a spindle kit. After you drive it a couple months like that, you can trim the coil to get your final height right.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Deltaskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
The big block will lower your truck. Buy new Moog HD springs and a spindle kit. After you drive it a couple months like that, you can trim the coil to get your final height right.
I think that's the plan if I keep it. I'm starting to consider dumping it before I get too much invested in it. Two project 84's might be a strain on the wallet and therefore the marriage.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote