The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
86k5silverado

86 K5 Blazer, running like crap

Alright so here's the rundown. The vehicle is a 1986 Chevy K5 Full size Blazer with a stock 305, Rochester Quadrajet 4BBL and zero engine modifications. About 3-4 months ago I was driving on a my local parkway home from school when I noticed that the gas gauge was practically one E. Seeing this i decided I drove the truck pretty hard in efforts to not only get to work on time but the the nearest gas station. In any case, after I got off the parkway, the truck was running a bit rough than usual. Mind you, this truck always ran well but not perfect. I just figured it was because the fuel pump had sucked up some sediment from the tank and clogged the fuel filter. Keeping this in mind, that weekend I replaced the fuel filter in the carburetor and called it a day. Truck ran fine for a week or so after but then started to develop the problems it has now. When you first start it up, it idles real rough, almost like its barley running for a few seconds until I give it a few shots of fuel and it smooths out. After the truck warms up to operating temperature, I'll pull away from where it's parked and give it a gentle acceleration like I always do. The truck will run fine for a few minutes but then it starts to screw up big time. From a stopped position, I'll give it the same gentle acceleration and the truck bogs right down. I have to take my foot off the pedal and practically floor it in order to get going at a decent speed. Once I'm moving, the truck shifts hard form second to third (automatic transmission) and just has no power whatsoever. I'l have my foot to the floor and be doing only 25mph. If I'm out on the parkway where the problem first began, the truck can barley make it up the hills with my foot to the floor. Now here's where the confusing part comes in. Some days the truck will run like it always did before with no problems and be like brand new. Other days, it will run like a genuine P.O.S. It's not weather conditions because it's run great and poor in rainy cold conditions and ran great and poor in warm and sunny conditions.
What I've done to the truck after this problem is such...
-Replaced Fuel Filter
-Installed In-line filter between tank and fuel pump
-Installed brand new fuel pump and fuel line from fuel pump to carb
-Rebuilt Carburetor(new accelerator pump, new gaskets, new automatic choke housing, new needle and seat, adjusted float level)
-Replace distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs
-Eliminated Catalytic converter
Also to note is that there is a ticking that I hear on the drivers side that has always been with the truck since I first bought it. It's gotten increasingly louder since this problem has come up. I feel it's most likely an exhaust leak but my father who is an experienced mechanic seems to believe it's slop in one of the push rods. One more thing to note is that recently the truck is running pretty rich on the bad days. I pulled the plugs in cylinders 2 and 4 too see if they're fouled up. 4 was fine but two was coated in oil. Don't know if this has any relevance but figured I might include all that I can.

I know that was a lot of info but I've tried all that I can and all other threads I've been looking at haven't helped me much. I'm only a 19 year old college student thats mechanically inclined but I'm the most experience in working on these trucks. I appreciate all the input I can get from my elders. Let me know what you guys think and all replies are much appreciated.
Thank you,
CJ
86k5silverado is offline   Reply With Quote