The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
ericjon262

headlights???

anyone use something like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-5-75-H5...165293&vxp=mtr

I'm considering buy them for my GMC what do you guys think? I saw another set that was cheaper, but they looked a little ricey...

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
guzzidude

Re: headlights???

I like those better than the ones with the visible bulb reflector. Never used them, but my old Avalance, the PO rigged of some ballasts from a toyota with HO halogen bulbs. worked well, but it was geri rigged so I took it out. Could be another possibilty if done right from the pick and pull
guzzidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
ericjon262

if I do it, it won't be rigged up(hense me looking at glass housings instead of cheap plastic...)

Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Hawghauler

The housings are fine, but I think you would regret the xenon/halogen combo.
I made the mistake of buying a set similar to these for my Harley. The hid works ok, but the halogen high beam was totally worthless.

If you want hid setup this way, you need to get bi-xenon for both high and low beam in each bulb. As your putting them into a GMC, your not really needing high/low on both bulbs. It would be better to buy separate hids for each bulb and keep them separated like they came from the factory.

I would recommend moving to h4's, but you are going to want to get a headlight relay harness setup or you'll burn out your headlight/dimmer switches.
Your original bulbs don't draw anywhere near the amps that h4's draw and the headlight/dimmer switches are built for a lot less amp draw.
You can get a relay kit from LMC or other classic part stores for about $30. It's well worth doing even if you stay with the original sealed beams because it will make your lights brighter and reduce wear on you headlight/dimmer switches.
The relay harness draws power for the lights directly from the battery instead of going through the headlight/dimmer switches. These switches now only power the relays, so they will last much longer.

Another thing to note is that you're probably going to have to open the hole in your headlight buckets in order to fit the h4 bulbs into them. H4 bulbs have a larger rear port. Your original sealed beams buckets don't have a big enough hole in them to accommodate them. Opening it up more is not difficult, I did it on my chevy in about 1/2 hour with some tin snips, and then filed them smooth.

I really like the look of the h4's even with the lights off. With them on WOW!
Good luck

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
juniorlp81

Ya I have them on truck here's a picture at night cheaper if you by it all seperate
(Headlights) http://m.ebay.com/itm/130962775967?nav=WATCHING&sbk=1
(Hids) http://m.ebay.com/itm/140971133086?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
Attached Images

juniorlp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
juniorlp81

Here's a shot from the front.
Attached Images

juniorlp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
JDizzle

I'm thinking about these lights these lights for my GMC. They are the housing only and sold per housing. I couldn't find anybody running the 5.75 lights but I found some jeep guys running the 7" light. Just do a quick google search and you'll see the results.

Whatever you end up deciding, I would take Hawghauler's suggestion and go with a bi-xenon HID kit.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
ericjon262

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
I'm thinking about these lights for my GMC. They are the housing only and sold per housing. I couldn't find anybody running the 5.75 lights but I found some jeep guys running the 7" light. Just do a quick google search and you'll see the results.

Whatever you end up deciding, I would take Hawghauler's suggestion and go with a bi-xenon HID kit.
see, I like those so much better then these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-75-H5001-H...item5659adc98e

it sucks though, because all of the good looking light options seem to be double the price of the ugly ones...

I will do the bi-Xenon kit instead of some kind of hybrid setup, that sounds was more logical. it'd be cool to see a legit projector mounted in the housings you linked to, I bet that wouldn't look too bad.