The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
rickoner

My Drive-way Build - '65 short pants

Figured I might as well start a build thread on here since I've been using this site for information and motivation for my truck. Well, it all started a couple of months ago when I was search the internet for a project truck. I was looking for an original patina'd short bed. That's when I came across this '65. Owner said there was only one small hole in the floor and the rest was solid. For the pics that I got, it did look a very decent truck. So, we struck a deal and I got the truck shipped from Mississippi to Pennsylvania. Here's one of the pics that I got from the seller.

Looks nice right? Go through the brakes and suspension. Then get it running, fix the small hole in the floor and cruise it around town, right? Well once it was delivered, that plan went out of the window. The rotten panels include both floor pans, inner & outer rockers on both sides, outer A-pillars both sides, both inner kick panels, one cab corner, the panel above the windshield and the inner roof skin. Oh well, that's the risk you take when you buy something without being able to check it out in person. I'll post pics of the rot when the surgery begins. I ordered and have already received all the patch panels needed for the cab.

Wanting to convert to 5 lug and disks I pick this up on craigslist out of an '85 C10.

I was supposed to get a whole set of wheels with it but the guy I got them off of didn't have one pulled off when I picked them up. I drove about an hour to pick everything up and couldn't stick around because of plans. Besides it was starting to rain pretty heavily. The guy told me that he was planning to coming down by neck of the woods the next weekend. I took him for his word that he would give he the wheel. Yup, you guessed it. He didn't my answer calls or texts and has disappeared. So I'm hunting for another wheel and it's proving to be more difficult than I anticipated. I've hit up three u-pull it yards and have came up empty. Does anybody have a lead on where I might be able to source a used one at. Here's what I'm looking for. Looks to be a 15"x7"

Jumping ahead a bit, I ordered a couple other parts, pulled the front clip, yanked out the 283 (wound up being seized) & TOTT and pancaked the crossmember 2". I also remounted the crossmember 1" forward to center the wheel up in the fender.

That brings us up to this past weekend. Next post will bring everything up to where I'm at now.

Thanks for looking.
rickoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
C@rnut001

Re: My Drive-way Build - '65 short pants

Good luck with your new project '65. I am interested to see how much rust you ended up with once you got the truck in your possession. It looks like it will be an awesome truck though, so keep working towards getting it together.
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Welcome aboard! Sometimes beauty is only skin deep.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
1963c-10

Welcome and congrats on the new project. Sorry the last couple of deals haven't gone as planned, but now that you have it home it looks like your off to a good start. Try craigslist on the rims....I see them pop up quite frequently. And check the forum classifieds too.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Ta2Don

Nice to see another one being saved from the crusher...

Gotta love PO's, Not!!!

I'm in and watching your progress...Have fun...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

It really is unfortunate that some people are dishonest.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
rusty76

I'll be watching
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Blue666

Welcome from a former resident of Canonsburg.
Blue666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
Monte's62

Welcome and I'm looking forward to your build.
Monte's62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
rickoner

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes gentlemen. I really appreciate it.
I'm going to catch the thread up to where I'm at now. Nothing has happened with my truck but I did find this on craigslist last week and picked it up last weekend.

Drove 4 hrs one way, but it has a lot of parts that I was looking for. Especially the BBW. I've been busy drilling spot welds for what seems like forever and the results are not what I was hoping for.

Lots of rust was lurking inside. The two panels that I was really hoping to use ended up having heavy scale rust that when chipped away exposed holes. The inner roof panel I'm going to scrap and continue to look for another one. I'm hoping that I can patch up the rear panel. The rusty parts are right above the window.

If I can find a couple small window panels, I think I can cut some patch panels out of them to patch up the BBW panel. We'll see though.

I'm almost done stripping the parts cab of everything usable. Then it's off to the scrap yard and I can get a parking spot back. Even though the sheet metal is a bit rough, it was still a good buy. I got all of the custom cab trim pieces, auto column, auto pedals, bench seat, cluster with gauges, gas tank, dash, and all the glass.

I already replaced the cab mounts and hopefully I can get started on the sheet metal replacement soon. It's going to depend on the weather though. The forecast is for rain for the next week. I'll keep the thread updated as soon as there's some progress.

Thanks for checking in.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #11
Lowl!f3

PM sent......

Last edited by Lowl!f3; 06-19-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Lowl!f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
rickoner

Thought I'd give a quick update on the slow goings on my truck. Not much progress but I'm slowly moving forward. I got all of the parts stripped off of the parts cab and scrapped the remainder. All of the ball joints and bushings are on order also. So once they come in I'll be able to get the front suspension back together. Can't wait to see it back down on it's wheels again.

Yesterday, I spent a little bit of time and started on the rust repair. Started on the worst side. All I got done was removing the rocker but at least now I can see what's going on. Here are a couple pics of what I'm working with.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #13
NEWFISHER

Good news, they make all of the panels you need reproduction and you will be a better welder when this is over. Hang in there and keep posting pics!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
rickoner

Spent some time working on the sheet metal replacement. I got to say I felt really overwhelmed and in over my head. This is the first time that I've ever attempted this much sheet metal replacement by far. But, after diving in it's not that bad at all. I think the best thing that you can do to prepare for something like this is to have a game plan. After that, let the body saws and grinders loose and let the sparks fly. Don't be afraid of messing up, IT'S ONLY METAL! At least that's what I tell myself. haha. I got all my patches from Top Banana and so far they fit... ok. Don't expect them to drop right in. You'll more than likely have to cut you panels into smaller ones and piece them back together. Anyways here's a few pics of the progress so far.

Well that's a giant hole now isn't it? Next are a few pics after I spent a bit on the replacement panel. I removed a strip by the tunnel as those lines didn't line up at all. The mount hole needed to be moved as well. It wasn't even close.

The mount hole went from this:

To this:

Overall everything is fitting decently at this point. This is the biggest let down of the panel, but it's fixable.

Wound up a bit short on material on that one. Wouldn't be a big issue if I had access to a brake but I don't. Would anybody close to Pittsburgh with one be willing to bend me up a few pieces? Hopefully I can make some progress today. Tomorrow starts a week of 12 hour work days, so there won't be any progress then.

Thanks for looking guys.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
rickoner

Progress has been slow and steady with an emphasis on the slow part. But progress is progress none the less. Front suspension is back together. Had the lower arms blasted and I threw some por15 on them along with new bushings and ball joints. Also installed new upper arms and drop spindles.

Then there's the body work... It's taken me a really long time to get to the point that I'm at now, but I feel that I'm getting the hang of it. So hopefully the rest will go a bit quicker. Anyways here's the pics of where I'm at now.

I went from this...

to this...

to where I'm at now...

I'm hoping to get the rest of the inner rocker in this week so I can hang the door back on.

Thanks for looking.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
neglected61

makes me want to fix my rust... looking good!
neglected61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

You are making great progress. Keep it up.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:58 AM   #18
collins10672

very nice work
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #19
1963c-10

Great progress and hang in there...your almost done with it!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #20
step65

Nice work I look forward to watching your progress.
step65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
Bomp

Sorry you had to deal with all the flaky people in the beginning. See it didn't stop you from taking on huge project and doing a great job at it.
All the patch panels I've dealt with all seem to need just that little bit of persuasion to fit properly.
Sub'd
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #22
Bigru

Nice work, keep it up.

1983 Short Fleet (Under construction for my 13 year old son)
2008 GMC Denali
2012 Harley Roadglide

Follow me on Instagram: Ru_django
Bigru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #23
hotrod66

wouldn't feel bad about the rust heck even down here in texas most look like that. look at it this way you know what you have after all the cutting and welding, it will be like a new truck. just keep up your chin and the good work!
are you going to keep it a 283?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #24
rickoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neglected61 View Post
makes me want to fix my rust... looking good!
Thanks. It's not a terribly bad job, but I can't wait until the metal work is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
You are making great progress. Keep it up.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins10672 View Post
very nice work
Thanks. I"m not doing as nice of a job as a lot of guys on here but It's my first time doing this sort of thing and I'm learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Great progress and hang in there...your almost done with it!!!
I'd say about 75% done.... with the first side. lol Some much left to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by step65 View Post
Nice work I look forward to watching your progress.
Thanks, brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Sorry you had to deal with all the flaky people in the beginning. See it didn't stop you from taking on huge project and doing a great job at it.
All the patch panels I've dealt with all seem to need just that little bit of persuasion to fit properly.
Sub'd
Thanks. Well, I guess you win some and lose some. I'm just on a streak of bad luck, But it can't last forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigru View Post
Nice work, keep it up.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod66 View Post
wouldn't feel bad about the rust heck even down here in texas most look like that. look at it this way you know what you have after all the cutting and welding, it will be like a new truck. just keep up your chin and the good work!
are you going to keep it a 283?
Thanks. The floor rust I've come to accept, but the roof still irks me a bit. Since they're not offered in the aftermarket, I'm sure it's going to be tough and expensive sourcing the inner and outer roof panels that are in good shape. Hopefully, I can find another BBW inner panel for when the roof comes off too.
Nah, the 283 was locked up solid. I was toying with the idea of an Isuzu 4bd diesel, but I'm probably gonna throw some kind of lsx in her. Can't really beat them for price, reliability, mpg's, and performance.

Now onto today's accomplishments. Finished the rest of the inner rocker. Just have a little more welding and grinding left and the driver's side is done.

Then my buddy gave me a hand hanging the door back on. Feels good to actually be bolting parts back on even if it's just temporary. Hopefully the outer rocker will fit.

slowly but surely.

Thanks for looking.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:19 AM   #25
gulfcoast66
64-66 CHEVY JUNKIE

Looking Good Dude!!
2017 GMC Serra 4x4 5.3 Vortec, 4l60-E
Do It In A Chevrolet
gulfcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote