The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
69 customcamper

69 396 carb recomendations

Hello Folks,

Common perhaps annoying question. I have a 396 custom camper and currently have a quadrajet that was reman by Holley 5 years ago. It is seeping out the top from the gasket and the accel pump shaft leaks. Overall does not run good, smells rich etc. Motor has 1500 miles and is bored .060 over. It has an edelbrock 2161 Manifold with divorced choke. Would you put another quadrajet ? Im tired of this as I have trouble shortly after getting them as I have a beautiful looking one from I just bought and the mixture screws do not respond (No vacuum leaks) and the tabs that hold the choke pull off are broke off enough to where there is nothing to hold it on tight. I think these carbs are getting to old and the re builders keep putting them together with bits and pieces of old carbs. I do not have the correct original which is why I keep buying rebuilt ones. I have a cam in it that is good for low rpm range torque and wonder if there are other options that would be reliable and good on fuel. I do not need mega horsepower although I realize for this motor it must be the right CFM. I do not think an edelbrock carb is the way to go...... I wish carter was still in buisness !!! Good ole carter AFB.

Mike
69 customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Mike C

Re: 69 396 carb recomendations

I would go back with another Q-jet. Personally, I think they work great. The JET Stage II on my Jimmy is over 20 years old now. Run it enough so the gas goes bad and that's all it should take.

If your old one is completely whooped, just get another. I like electric chokes over the divorced setup, but run both. We are building a Jimmy for my kid and just put a JET Stage I on the Performer intake and used the Divorced choke on his.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

I second what Mike C says. I'm no carb expert but the Q-jet in my '69 (350 engine) has been running perfectly for 22 years after I put a "rebuild" kit in it. I've had NO PROBLEMS with it ever. But I don't fool around with chokes since the weather is moderate here in Studio City. Maybe it gets colder in Glendale, but I never see a use for one. I do keep the fast idle system working though.
I don't know anything about Holley rebuilding Q-jets but you should just do it yourself or pull one from pickyourpart and "rebuild" that. Just get some carb cleaner, some compressed air and a kit. The only part of the process that is remotely difficult is getting all of the dangling parts into the right holes when you put the top onto the body (or whatever the correct terms are). You can do this! -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
geezer#99

Did you know the eddy carb is just a modern version of an afb.
Your leakage on your present carb is from flooding. A high float or bad needle/seat. Both easy to fix. Get a good carb kit.
Or call Sean. He’ll build you one.
https://www.smicarburetor.com/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
ncpetersc

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Your leakage on your present carb is from flooding. A high float or bad needle/seat. Both easy to fix. Get a good carb kit.
And maybe double check fuel system upstream for contamination. Filter at inlet, and if you have another filter.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Or www.cliffshighperformance.com

Cliff can sell everything you need to properly repair your carb AND calibrate to what you need to your exact engine, AND his parts are ethanol resistant!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Way back in 1992 I sent my Q-jet to The Carburetor Shop in Ontario CA. IIRC, the shaft bushings were worn out and I suppose the carb was in need of a rebuild anyway. They went through it, re-bushed it, and gave the primaries a slight overbore (said to boost low-end just a bit). It was returned ready to bolt on & go.... no adjustments needed. I *think* they are still in business, though the listing I found online appears to be next door and the last four of the phone number are different.

Anyway they are kinda more-or-less in your neck of the woods... maybe worth a look if you decide to have yours rebuilt?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
68Gold/white

The carb shop is now the post 4 recommendation, Carb shop owner Brad Urban died several years ago.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 customcamper View Post
Hello Folks,

Common perhaps annoying question. I have a 396 custom camper and currently have a quadrajet that was reman by Holley 5 years ago. It is seeping out the top from the gasket and the accel pump shaft leaks. Overall does not run good, smells rich etc. Motor has 1500 miles and is bored .060 over. It has an edelbrock 2161 Manifold with divorced choke. Would you put another quadrajet ? Im tired of this as I have trouble shortly after getting them as I have a beautiful looking one from I just bought and the mixture screws do not respond (No vacuum leaks) and the tabs that hold the choke pull off are broke off enough to where there is nothing to hold it on tight. I think these carbs are getting to old and the re builders keep putting them together with bits and pieces of old carbs. I do not have the correct original which is why I keep buying rebuilt ones. I have a cam in it that is good for low rpm range torque and wonder if there are other options that would be reliable and good on fuel. I do not need mega horsepower although I realize for this motor it must be the right CFM. I do not think an edelbrock carb is the way to go...... I wish carter was still in buisness !!! Good ole carter AFB.

Mike
From way over here I would say that your float level is off. Quite possibly from a leaking brass float or a saturated resin float. That would cause the fuel level to be too high in the bowl and to cause all the symptoms you are encountering. I would try installing in a different float and setting it to the correct level before doing any carb swapping.
The problem with your other Q-jet may be that it was off a much smaller engine and the idle circuits are too small for your 396. ( they came on engines as small as 230 cubic inches) Or it got water in the float bowl and the idle passages are corroded shut. Any 396 to 454 CI Quadrajet carb can be made to work on your truck. The Q-jets came in 2 basic CFM ratings. 750 and 800.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #10
mike16

Edelbrocks Q Jet is an 850. I thought buick made an 815 in the early 70's

Edelbrocks AFB is so similar to the carter that the tune up and rebuild kits are interchangable. AFB's are great. They dont have the support to do infinite tuning like in the old days But if you search edelbrock or some of the dedicated vendors they have the parts to get it set up right and easy. its an easy carb, dual quads are even cooler.

You can down load a set up guide from E's website. No need for quackery or witchcraft.

why not Holley's?

Last edited by mike16; 09-13-2018 at 07:40 AM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
Dirt's72

I have a 69 custom camper with a 396 as well. I would recommend posting a want to buy ad looking for an original rochester numbered carb for that engine and year. Mine says 29214. The correct number listed on the carbs unlimited website under muscle car info tab is 7029214 which is specific for 1969 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton 396 engine for use with either auto or standard transmission. I'm not sure why mine does not have the first two numbers the"702" but I believe it to be the original one to the truck perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in. I did the same thing with my 72 one ton big block that had a junk remanufactured carb. After looking on the board here for a couple years I found the correct number carb and had it rebuilt here in Albuquerque at a local carb shop. I was very happy with how it ran with when it was installed.
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #12
Ironangel

Find you a good Quadrajet and then learn how to tune it...I sent a Summit Quadrajet that was supposed to be a stage 2 350 SBC carb to Cliff Ruggles. I explained to him that although new, the carb never worked and that I wanted it set up for a BBC 408 (060." over 396) just like yours. Six weeks and $385 dollars later I got a carb that to this day never needed anything but an occasional idle adjustment. These old gen 1 Chevy's MUST have some warm up time! Even in the heat of summer, they need a few minutes to warm up and run right. You wont find any other carb that gives you the mileage a Quadrajet will give you nor will you find one that gives you/your motor the balls to the wall performance when those (biggest of any carb) 2-1/4" secondary's open up and let them pony's breathe..."Just Sayin"
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #13
mike16

Other members on the board have had good experiences with this carb rebuilder mentioned by Meangreean71. The carb is all but perfect.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=770108

So shop around for a good carb and a good rebuilder, avoid the unwarrented cult following some rebuilders have.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #15
demian5

I do carbs a ll the time on anything with a carb. Bikes, cars, trucks, generators, lawn equipment...

Don't be afraid of rebuilding a carb. its pretty easy, just don't lose anything, follow the instructions in the package and clean it really good.

Then a good base setup will get you in the ballpark before bolting it on and adjusting from there. I always require that i install the carb myself and dial the carb in on the vehicle afterwards. This eliminates errors of someone else and them saying its a carb problem.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote