The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Progress Pics FINALLY!

Hey All,
After finding the parts truck I needed, I finally am getting something done to the 70. I got the disc brake setup mounted today (7 Jul 03). Worked out pretty good. I had to enlongate two holes on the frame (marked 1 in the pic. One on each side) and I had to drill 2 new holes (the 0 in the pic. Again one on each side).
I'm going to start transfering all the power brake stuff over next.
Mike
Attached Images

John 3:16
2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:15 PM   #2
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

On the above picture:
The holes marked with an X were A-OK. Didn't have to do anything with them.

This pic:
Here is an overall shot. Since this pic was taken, I got the steering gear bolted up. The tie rod is sitting where it is supposed to be.
Mike
Attached Images

2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
Old 07-07-2003, 08:56 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Cool, I am gonna be doing that myself in the not too distant future!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:41 PM   #4
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I'm lost, why did you have to play around with the holes?
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:03 AM   #5
beau396

I had to grind out a couple of the holes when I did that on my '67 to get the bolts to thread into the cross member fron the inside frame rails.
'67 C10 short box fleet side wood bed small rear window frame off restoration. 396BB,Th400, ps, pwr disc 5 lug, posi 3.07, 2000 Suburban 60/40 pwr seats, 2.5" front drop 4" rear, powder coated running gear.
beau396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:31 AM   #6
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Gee_Emm:
The two holes I had to enlongate were off around 1/8". It was just enough that I could not get the bolt started even using a pry bar to try to line things up. The other two holes were not even close. I knew the two holes were going to have to be drilled before I even started on this project from the research I did previously.
So far this has been a pretty simple operation.
My next project is adding the brake booster from the 78 Sub.
From what I've been told, the brake booster stuff will bolt right up. The rod from the brake pedal to the booster may need to be tweaked a little.

krue:
SO far, this is the way to add disc brakes to these trucks if you have drum brakes. I found my parts truck at a low dollar car dealer. The truck was sitting in the back without an engine and trans. It was marked $300. I got it for $100.
Mike

Mike

2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
Old 07-08-2003, 06:34 AM   #7
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

One other thing. After I get wheels back on it, I'm taking the whole works to the car wash to get the grease and gunk off. I had pulled the parts Sub to the car wash and got some of it off, but with the fenders and fender wells on, I didn't get it too good. My brother and I was going to put the assembly in the back of the pickup, but it was going to be a pain to get it out of the shop with the Sub blocking the overhead door. I'll just spray it down with Easy-Off oven cleaner and pull it to the car wash. I'll then primer and paint it black. Should look spiffy then.
Mike

2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup