The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
dion
72 Cheyenne

arggg!!! stranded

I've been having starter problems, they work fine for a few days and then crap out. I can't see to figure out what the problem is.

So today she was starting but made a little screech, but would start. So I stop at the Bank on the way home and yep you guessed it, when I went to start it the started wouldn't engage. I moved the flexplate around still nothing. So I had to get a tow.

What sucked is that the entire time I was trying to start it there was a ferd parked next to me with a couple guys sitting in it and then when the tow truck showed up yep you guessed it again, another ferd. A ferd towing a Chevy, what a shame. At least the ferd stalled when we went to take off, I think my girl made that happen
1966/67Stouts

Last edited by dion; 07-07-2003 at 10:59 PM.
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:16 PM   #2
Class of 69

Sorry to here about the starter problems....and a ferd towing it!!! Are you installing rebuilt one's?? They can be a real pain!! I usually rebuild my own, so I know what I have when it's done. Be sure to use a heavy duty solinoid, not a cheap standard one!! They can be the cause of more trouble than the actual motor
Old 07-07-2003, 10:44 PM   #3
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

As far as your starter problems go.....

When i bought my truck, it would never want to start after it was hot. The starter wouuld turn over really slow, and make a god-awful grinding noise. Pretty embarsing when i was parked in a lot with people around, lol. I put 2 different starters on it, and the problem was still there. Then, when i got my motor rebuilt, i had the shop give me a new flexplate. Using the same starter, it completley fixed the problem. Also, you may want to buy a heat shield for your starter ($25 from Summit), and a starter brace. The starter brace keeps the starter from flexing by bolting the front of it to the engine block. The brace is available for $5 from any Chevy dealership.

Also, sometimes mine wouldn't engage, and i found that by loosening the starter and then tightening it back up again, it would engage and i could drive the truck.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:56 PM   #4
woodrow59
OzarkHillbilly in Atlanta

I agree with class,,,,,, if you're having starter problems, get a new one, not a rebuilt one. I had a '70 that I put 2 or 3 different "cheap starters" on and even put on a new flywheel. Still had problems. Took it to a guy that put on a new Delco-Remy and it was fine after that !!!!

68 Longhorn C20 Custom Camper (sold)
woodrow59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:14 AM   #5
krazy_texan

if you are running headers on the truck like me, then keep an extra sylinoid lying around because i burn through one about every four months and i bet you that i could replace one on a 350 in record time
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote