The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #1
4:30

Best HID kits.

I've gotta 2011 Silverado and I'm wanting to put HID's in the headlights and fog lights. I know the cheaper brands are bad about having a short life. What's the best brand to get?? Thanks!
4:30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:41 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Best HID kits.

Really??? I mean seriously Really????, Unless you put in some form of a projector headlight with a way to control the glare from a HID light, you are going to blind every person coming down the road at you. The HID fogs will do the same. I had a fellow that was working at my nuke plant for the refueling outage that had a new Dodge that would just outright blind you and to top it off, he ran the headlights and the fogs just so he could see the deer that he was scared of hitting. I met him every morning when I got off work. He got my brights and fogs in response every time, along with my comments that most people should not hear. I am running High wattage bulbs in my 2011 GMC from Vision X and they do really well for illumination, they do not give off the glare that you get with HID.

I have a set of HIDs in my garage for my Pontiac G8, that I got from DDM Tuning. Many have had good luck with them.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
eager_adventurer

I recommend Recon HID Light Kits. Got mine from 4wheelonline.
eager_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
theastronaut

Don't put HID's in a halogen housing. You won't be able to see as good as before since the light pattern will be scattered everywhere- not focused where it should be. You'll also be blinding oncoming traffic.

You might find plenty of forum post approving of it, or have buddies telling you that it's ok and that they "never get flashed"... it's really easy to find uneducated advice, is that the kind of info you want? It's illegal for a reason.

Why do you need such bright fog lights? Do you live somewhere that has thick fog often? Fog lights are only to be used when you need to light up the area **directly** in front of the car so you can see to stay in your lane. They're not made to help with down-road vision at all. Don't waste your time/money trying to upgrade the fog lights if you don't actually need fog lights. If you need more down-road lighting then you'll need driving lights that only come on with your high beams.

If you actually want better performing lights then you'll need to upgrade your wiring, housings, and bulbs. Not just throw in HID kits... those are not an upgrade in any measurable way. You might get some "cool points" from your buddies who don't know any better, and tickets if the local cops know that you have them.

If you're wanting upgraded lights to be able to see better then there are options out there. Let us know what you're trying to do and we'll help.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Bad70sbchevy

Posted via Mobile Device
Bad70sbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
Bad70sbchevy

DDM Tuning. Just put a 55W 8000K kit in my 2010 Silverado at the beginning of the year and they are awesome. I did it solely for better lighting out in the woods and it is literally a night and day difference between them and the stock lights. The only downside is the connectors that come with the kit don't fit as good as OEM (but they do work). As for the blinding people comment, it depends on the housings. The 07-13 silverados silverados stock housings do a great job at focusing the beam on the road and not at other driver's eyes. If you are really worried about it you can run aftermarket projectors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
Cooper197

There can be a night and day difference between halogens and HID's, but thats nothing compared to retrofitting HID projectors into your halogen system.

The Retrofit Source (TRS) sells great HID kits and projectors. I'd highly recommend looking into their products.

If you're just going to put HID's in the Halogen housings (which I strongly urge you not to do) I'd stay away from DDM especially if you are going with 55w. They tend to have issues with the ballasts. I've ran them on 2 of my cars (with full projector retrofits) and both had ballasts die within a year. The ballasts I got from TRS are 3 years strong now, love them.

On another note with HID's, don't go out and get anything higher than 6,000K. Even 6000 is very blue, and higher numbers don't mean higher light output. ~4,500-5,000 tends to be the sweet spot for headlights and ~3,500-4,000 for fogs. Go any higher than that on either one and you will blind people and lose light output.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
Bad70sbchevy

I haven't had any issues with mine yet (55W ballast) and typically from everybody on other forums typically have good luck with DDM, but I'll take a look at TRS next time I go buy another kit. Its hard to beat the lifetime warranty that comes with the DDM kit though. Only reason I went with 8000K bulbs was on the DDM 55W ballasts, they tend to give a lighter than normal color, i.e., the 8000K bulbs looks like a 6000K, but I do agree with you that running anything higher than 6000K, you are just asking to get pulled over (too blue/purple).