The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Lrall

Lightbulb Post your brakes!!

I want to see your guys brake master cylinder locations(on firewall or under cab) and any details what you guys went with, tips, advice etc etc. It would even be a bonus if any of you s10 frame guys have brakes all squared away already. I think what I'm going to do is run the MC under the cap, with a dual diaphragm system and have a remote resivoir for easier maintenance. There was a vendor at the car show i went to today that helped us with this. He said we use the supplied bracket, mount it on the frame, then just bend the pedal through the floor where it needs to go.
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
54 jimmy

Thumbs up Re: Post your brakes!!

i used an 85 full size blazer brake pedal,booster,and master. i would sugest you use the s 10 brake pedal,booster,and master. it's not hard to mount them under the dash plus you will have the proporshing valve witch you will need. i got lucky the p valve that i had from another s10. the bracket bolted right in the same place as the s10 one with the booster bolts. the lines lined up as well. don't have any pix but it's not hard just measure twice cut the hole once, and put your steering column in to make sure there will be no problems with them touching anywhere. have fun braking you ride
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Lrall

Re: Post your brakes!!

Would the s10 being manual make a difference? the 48 will be auto now. Other than the pedal being small? I guess i hadnt thought of that, the MC is already integrated into the s10 frame too....hmmmmm
Old 01-22-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
prostreeter58

Here are a few pics of the firewall mounted system that I used on this build. My other one has the power booster/master cylinder under the floor. I decided to go this route on this one for "ease of serviceability" since I plan on driving this one almost daily...................
Attached Images

prostreeter58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
Lrall

Thanks a bunch for those pics, plenty of steering column to booster clearance? Also, what column did you go with? We were thinking Ididit or Flaming River one? What are you doing for pedals? buying aftermarket? Could you post up some pics of the other build for comparison? If we go the underfloor route we would use a remote reservoir, which would make it easy to service. Not a knock on you but i wanted to go underneath the cab for that really clean look, we have the s10 booster and MC already, so that would probably be the smarter way to do it.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 AM   #6
prostreeter58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrall View Post
Thanks a bunch for those pics, plenty of steering column to booster clearance? Also, what column did you go with? We were thinking Ididit or Flaming River one? What are you doing for pedals? buying aftermarket? Could you post up some pics of the other build for comparison? If we go the underfloor route we would use a remote reservoir, which would make it easy to service. Not a knock on you but i wanted to go underneath the cab for that really clean look, we have the s10 booster and MC already, so that would probably be the smarter way to do it.
I used the ididit column on both trucks....(35" to give me a straight shot to the rack).....as far as the pedals?....they came with the booster kit, it was a very complete kit and installed very easy. The one with the booster under the cab was the kinda the same. It came with the brackets needed and I cut down the brake arm and had it chromed. I think that ether way you go you will be happy with your choice.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:01 AM   #7
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreeter58 View Post
I used the ididit column on both trucks....(35" to give me a straight shot to the rack).....as far as the pedals?....they came with the booster kit, it was a very complete kit and installed very easy. The one with the booster under the cab was the kinda the same. It came with the brackets needed and I cut down the brake arm and had it chromed. I think that ether way you go you will be happy with your choice.
Thanks, ill have to kick around the ideas a little bit, bounce it off my autos teacher. What do you think about the remote reservoir idea? Any pros/cons to firewall/under-cab mounting? The only thing i can think of is how much cleaner it would be and serviceability.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
prostreeter58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrall View Post
Thanks, ill have to kick around the ideas a little bit, bounce it off my autos teacher. What do you think about the remote reservoir idea? Any pros/cons to firewall/under-cab mounting? The only thing i can think of is how much cleaner it would be and serviceability.
That is it.........serviceability and appearance...............I think the remote reservoir is a great idea. Is it hidden?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #9
Lrall

the reservoir would not be hidden unless you came up with an idea to hide it. Id much rather have a silver can(stainless with a hose going out the bottom) than a big brake booster and MC. I just went down and looked at the frame and booster. The booster mounts inside the cab so i think ill go that route, itll just be the MC on the firewall, which wont be so bad. And, the undercab deal was like 325 from the vendor but we found ones for 180 on ebay, but i dont wanna screw with that. I think s10 brakes all the way around, since the proportioning valves are already there and such. Ill just have to see if i can get the brake pedal to work and not have it in your lap.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
pgf545

I did something a little different on my dad's 52. We did a underdash unit. Here are a couple pictures.

Bernie
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
Daniel U

I chose function over fashion for the underhood. I want it to look semi-factory. Not 1954 factory, but an updated GM factory. Here's a shot of mine:
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
CAL 58 GMC

I went with TCI's frame mount.
Attached Images

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 01-22-2008 at 03:32 PM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote