The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #1
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

1963 C50 Clutch issues?

Howdy guys!

I am currently looking at buying a 1963 C50 that I found for sale, the problem is that it has a non functioning clutch. Owner says that he replaced the Master Cylinder, apparently these trucks had a combined cylinder for the clutch and brakes?

He says he thinks the slave cylinder is bad, it sounds like he is tired of messing with it, but it is not a system I have ever messed with.

I am wondering if parts for it are available and if there are any upgrades that are recommended? Ideally I would like to just put a hydraboost on it with a separate slave cylinder, not sure if anyone makes off the shelf parts that can do this or if I would have to fabricate it?

The truck is really clean, almost no rust and just a couple of dents, but it is also 500 miles away from me which complicates things as it is a bit larger than any trailer I have access to (which is why I am looking at getting it to build a tow rig)

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:20 PM   #2
62c30

Re: 1963 C50 Clutch issues?

If the slave and master is the same as my 62 c30 yes they are available. I have not messed with anything bigger though. Just make sure to get a new one or a reman that has been sleeved. I had put a rebuilt one on and it was pitted pretty bad and the fluid would bypass and it didn't work very good.
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:16 AM   #3
Agv63

Funny this should come up for discussion.
I actually looked at a slave cylinder this morning on amazon forr my buddy as his one is worn out.

Link attached.

Adriaan.

https://a.co/d/h0P1q6c
Agv63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:36 PM   #4
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Thank you for the info.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:38 PM   #5
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
If the slave and master is the same as my 62 c30 yes they are available. I have not messed with anything bigger though. Just make sure to get a new one or a reman that has been sleeved. I had put a rebuilt one on and it was pitted pretty bad and the fluid would bypass and it didn't work very good.
I was kind of surprised as this will be my first 60-66, The oldest I have had before this was a 67, and everything up till the 80's had a mechanical clutch.

I saw that CPP makes a vacuum booster kit, and found a video of the install, it seems to me I could do the same thing with a hydroboost, then would need to run new line which is a good idea anyways.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:39 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

This system is easy to work on & is a good dependable system. You can put a kit in the present cylinder. These cylinders generally don't get pitted very badly as they get a full stroke every time they are used. A run with a wheel cyl. hone & a repair kit & bleed the system, should fix it up.

George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
Pick121

Mr. Beast! There is a ton of great info here on 60-66 but I also welcome you to raise the question on the Heavy Haulers Forum “Beyond C30…the Heavy haulers!” http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=239
Those folks are very well equipped to answer C50 questions.
I also have a ‘64 C10 and a ‘63 C50 so I jump from forum to forum.
A photo of the firewall would help and also what engine and trans it has. My ‘63 C50 has a separate Master Cylinder and clutch but I have seen the combined MC and Clutch on ‘62 and earlier.
Here is how mine is, stock setup, the combo system will have 2 metal lines from the bottom of the MC
Attached Images

Last edited by Pick121; 12-15-2023 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Missed info
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 11:41 PM   #8
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick121 View Post
Mr. Beast! There is a ton of great info here on 60-66 but I also welcome you to raise the question on the Heavy Haulers Forum “Beyond C30…the Heavy haulers!” http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=239
Those folks are very well equipped to answer C50 questions.
I also have a ‘64 C10 and a ‘63 C50 so I jump from forum to forum.
A photo of the firewall would help and also what engine and trans it has. My ‘63 C50 has a separate Master Cylinder and clutch but I have seen the combined MC and Clutch on ‘62 and earlier.
Here is how mine is, stock setup, the combo system will have 2 metal lines from the bottom of the MC
I am definitely going to have to dig into that forum! Think I have it figured out as far as the brake/clutch system goes. Have 3 different trucks I am looking at right now, we will see what happens, still need to get my 80 sold first before going and grabbing one.