The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
GMJimmy

Coil spring isolator

Does anybody know if they used a rubber isolation seat cushion where the front coil spring seats at the top of a front 68 C10 coil spring?
GMJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Coil spring isolator

I've always seen them metal to metal
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
GMJimmy

Thanks for the reply. I kinda thought it would be metal to metal but wasn't sure. I've got a bit of an issue where my truck sits an inch lower on the right side (front and back) than it does on the left side. Rear springs appear to be equally compressed but hard to measure. I think I'll have to pull the front springs and check or replace them. Anybody have any suggestions on a stock spring? I have drop spindles but I believe based on how they look (old) I think the springs are original??? They don't look like they've been cut but I won't know for sure until I get them out.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
GMJimmy

Ok I took the springs out and who ever put them in cut them with a torch. They seem to be pretty close to the same length 12-1/4 inches but the right side spring looks a little different near the cut and appears to be flatter. Hard to understand without pics but I'm going to replace them anyway.

QUESTION IS with what? Measured from the floor to the bottom edge of the fender this truck sat at 27-1/4 on the left and 26-1/4 on the right. What I'm trying to figure out is what springs do I buy? It has Russell drop spindles but I don't know how much they drop and I can't find any info on the spindles at all. Basically Russell drop spindles don't exist??? Anyway if anyone could give me measurements of their drop springs and possibly some measurements from the bottom of the spindle where it sits on the lower ball joint to the center line of the spindle it would really help me figure out what I need to do.
Thanks in advance!!!
Jim