The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
lkt1954

One Piece Window Conversion

I'm putting a one piece window kit in my 69 C10. So far here is what my research has found:
1) Two kits- Brother's Kit and One Piece Products.
2) Most post on here that I have found about these products are old (5+ years).
3) Both products seem to according to various post have both installation/function issues.
4) Numerous post on staying with vent windows.

With all that said I have always liked the look of the one piece windows and hate vent windows.

My question here has anyone in recent years (last couple of years) installed either product and what are your thoughts? I would think over time these products would have been improved to resolve some of the issues I have read about in various threads.

I'm leaning toward the One Piece Products due to the fact I'm not thrilled with the filler piece on Brother's kit. However the price difference makes on think hard about the two kits.

Any thought or comments on recent installations/improvements on either product?

Thanks
lkt1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:14 PM   #2
OneBad71

Re: One Piece Window Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkt1954 View Post
I'm putting a one piece window kit in my 69 C10. So far here is what my research has found:
3) Both products seem to according to various post have both installation/function issues.

With all that said I have always liked the look of the one piece windows and hate vent windows.

My question here has anyone in recent years (last couple of years) installed either product and what are your thoughts? I would think over time these products would have been improved to resolve some of the issues I have read about in various threads.

I'm leaning toward the One Piece Products due to the fact I'm not thrilled with the filler piece on Brother's kit. However the price difference makes on think hard about the two kits.

Thanks
I would like to know too
OneBad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:56 AM   #3
1967-C10

has anyone tried to adapt stock 73 later windows, into 67-72 Trucks ?
1967-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
lkt1954

bump...bump
Anyone installed either kit in the last year or two?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2022, 04:09 PM   #5
OneBad71

Quote:
bump...bump
Anyone installed either kit in the last year or two?

Thanks
I can't believe no one has done this on their truck lately?
Old 09-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #6
Grumpy old man

it just dosen't seem like a very popular option ,, All I've read about them is sloppy window action up/down and relying on an aftermarket company to provide replacement parts down the road is risky at best , I don't know why anyone would remove the vent windows that are a classic look to our trucks ? It's a look more seen on custom built show truck trailer queens that just don't seem to live long after being chopped up to achieve the "look" some are after . They are built for the show circuit and after being campaigned thru the show circuit to show off the one off built parts they are sold at a discount compared to the build price and the next one is built to continue the cycle of selling parts .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-C10 View Post
has anyone tried to adapt stock 73 later windows, into 67-72 Trucks ?
What would the advantage be? They still have vent windows.

I really think the one piece glass has fallen out of favor. The vents serve a purpose if you don’t have a/c you would have to open the window for any type of air movement .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #8
OneBad71

Actually the vent window is removed and the door has just one main glass panel. More like a modern truck. I like the look and was never a big fan of the wing windows. We all like different things. I'm sort of committed to going that route, so i'm hoping for good luck.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:33 PM   #9
roboticjunky

I ordered the one piece window kit from Holley (which owns Brothers now), but they don't have them in stock. Bought it 3 weeks ago and says that it will probably take a month and a half to get it.

I went with the one from Holley (Brothers) because it will work with the bear claw style door latch. I also don't care for the vent windows. Especially after rebuilding both of them on my truck and the truck has been inside the whole time and the rubber on the seals cracked already. I don't remember which company the seals were; maybe Precision or Softseal. I also just like the look of the one piece window.
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:56 PM   #10
68 C10 Driver

Have you searched YouTube? Dumb question, I know, but I thought I would ask. Usually the individual making the videos will often times do an assessment of the product.

Good luck with your project!
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:47 PM   #11
dagnabbitt

If they ever perfect the one-piece I'd be kind of interested... but it seems like everyone has problems with them. When they build a better mousetrap they might move on to the one-piece window.

I like my "cigarette windows", but if I didn't like them, I would use some black rtv to seal them properly and remove the handles.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:09 PM   #12
Dugouthouse 04

Quote:

Thanks
My problem with the one piece is the doors,where the vent window goes has a wider spot and I have looked at a bunch of trucks with the one piece window and have yet to see a good solution. I haven’t see with door felt or rubber that if you look close it’s just a mess.Just my opinion and someone out there probably has a solution that I haven’t seen, but Like my vent windows.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dugouthouse 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:57 PM   #13
Fusco5724

I installed the Brothers kit in my 67 and left them as manual windows. Wasn't too hard to do. I love the look of them but the windows are really hard to wind up and down. I've adjusted and lubed them numerous times and nothing seems to make a difference. If I had to do it all over again I would stay with the vent windows.
Fusco5724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #14
54blackhornet

I was at a body shop a while back and came across a 69 C10 that was getting new doors installed. Manager said the old doors where butchered up while trying to install one piece glass. Just saying !
Old 10-07-2022, 06:33 PM   #15
OLDROCK&ROLLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I was at a body shop a while back and came across a 69 C10 that was getting new doors installed. Manager said the old doors where butchered up while trying to install one piece glass. Just saying !
You don’t butcher the the doors the only thing you cut are your window tracks. I’ve had my for 18 years.
Old 10-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #16
54blackhornet

I guess you have never seen what a 17 year old can do with a welder ?
Old 10-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #17
OLDROCK&ROLLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I guess you have never seen what a 17 year old can do with a welder ?
OK I see what you mean.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:54 PM   #18
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugouthouse 04 View Post
My problem with the one piece is the doors,where the vent window goes has a wider spot and I have looked at a bunch of trucks with the one piece window and have yet to see a good solution. I haven’t see with door felt or rubber that if you look close it’s just a mess.Just my opinion and someone out there probably has a solution that I haven’t seen, but Like my vent windows.
Posted via Mobile Device
That makes an additional issue come to mind. The doors over time get pulled from the inside panel when being closed. This widens the gap between the inner and outer panels. The factory sheet metal strap between the outer skin and the inner can crack and break. The problem was bad enough that the 72 trucks came with the extra screw in the door to alleviate the problem.

When you install the one piece window you end up removing all the little bit of strength that is at the wing window thus increasing the likelihood of the gap between the inner panel and the outer spreading apart.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:04 PM   #19
nightrider388

I looked at a truck with the brothers version and due to the seals drying and shrinking they had pulled away from the doors some. The was noticeable when the windows were down.
nightrider388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:10 AM   #20
tutone

Back in to middle 90s when "street rodding" was popular, body mods like the one piece windows and v-butted windshields was what everybody was doing. I built a 38 Chevy coupe. I don't have a before shot of this car on my phone, so instead I will post a Google photo of one and one of the finished car. The doors on a 37-38 have a slight compound bend to them. The moment I cut out the vent window structure, I opened a "pandora's box" of trouble. I started with the pass side and cut and welded, fitted, cut and welded some more. The tracks were off a slight amount from side to side. The vent windows were designed to make the curve in the door less of a problem. Air flow sucked, They always had a little wind noise but they turned out ok. As good as I could hope for, I guess. Probably 80 hours total on both doors. Cost was -0- as I did it all, made a glass pattern and had door glasses cut. I won't do it again but when you get there, post pictures.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #21
OLDROCK&ROLLER

Quote:

Thanks
What did you decide vent windows or one piece?
Old 12-09-2022, 06:17 PM   #22
OneBad71

I've pretty much committed myself to the Brother's one piece kit. I put an order in awhile back but haven't heard anything yet. Backordered ?
Has anyone else placed an order and waiting also ?
Old 12-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #23
roboticjunky

I ordered the Brother's one piece kit with medium tint from Holley back at the beginning of September and haven't received it and haven't gotten any updates either. I just checked Holley's website and it says Estimated Ship Date: 01/13/2023.
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #24
OneBad71

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticjunky View Post
I ordered the Brother's one piece kit with medium tint from Holley back at the beginning of September and haven't received it and haven't gotten any updates either. I just checked Holley's website and it says Estimated Ship Date: 01/13/2023.
I order just clear glass probably around that time and haven't heard anything either. I guess were waiting for the same boat to come from China or ?
Old 12-12-2022, 11:58 PM   #25
lkt1954

OLD ROCK&ROLLER- I'm really leaning toward one piece products for my windows. The reason is they do not have the little filler plate for the bottom from corner like brother's has.
When I talked to them they take about 4-5 weeks to get, I'm going to wait till I get closer with final assembly to order (cab just made it to the paint shop to get the firewall, jams and interior painted). Maybe is Christmas doesn't break the bank, I might order after the first of the year.