The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
steve aleve

S10 Swap with Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft

I know I have seen it here before but I can't find it now. I am looking for info on an application for an AD truck with an s10 swap and how to best use the steering shaft from a Jeep Cherokee. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: S10 Swap with Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft

its too short, but the DD end is the right size for an s10 column and the splined end is the right spline for a S10 box. It is also collapsible, which is nice, and you can use some of that collapsible part to "get close" on the length instead of being dead nuts perfect on the length of a DD shaft and two u joints. It also makes it easier to install.

but a new one is $100, and you need a piece of DD to lengthen it, and you are welding on a critical steering component which doesnt bother some (me included, although my choice is not to). I use the borgeson telescoping shaft and two new u joints, no cutting or welding and it fits right in for about $280. its all about how you want to go.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
Leadbelly

With all of the references to the jeep columns out there, no one seems to reference the specifics on the jeeps shaft ends. The damper end (upper) is 3/4 DD? Steering box end (lower), 3/4-36 spline?
Anyone know these?
Leadbelly
Leadbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbelly View Post
With all of the references to the jeep columns out there, no one seems to reference the specifics on the jeeps shaft ends. The damper end (upper) is 3/4 DD? Steering box end (lower), 3/4-36 spline?
Anyone know these?
Leadbelly
the early cherokee is the one we are talking about, and it fits an s10 column and steering box. it has two u joints, one end with a 3/4" DD female so you have to take the stock s10 flex joint off and get to the male at the end of the steering column. since its an s10 box the other end has 30 splines 3/4" sized.

I have one in the garage, it makes a nice upgrade to a stock s10, it is the right length for that application. I think I bought the one for a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, definitely not a grand cherokee, and I think the interchange is 84-90 Cherokee but dont quote me. Ironically, most of those years used a standard GM steering column with a Jeep steering wheel.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
Leadbelly

Thanks, exactly what I need to know, not what I wanted to hear, but saved me a mistake. Not an option unfotunatly for my 63' swb. My steering gear is 3/4" - 36 spline (manual, not power). Upper is easy as it is a smooth 3/4" shaft... a little grinding and it is 3/4 DD. Looks like a cheaper option vs CCP or Borgsen is out. Maybe a shaft from an Astro van?
Leadbelly
Leadbelly is offline   Reply With Quote