The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Razz11

Need some thoughts on a long time/sentimental 59

I’ve been through a whirlwind with my 59 Fleetside. Traded it -> inherited it back, sold it -> bought it back, bought a Camaro to swap -> changed my mind, tried to sell it -> got shut down by the wife...

I’m at a point that I think I’ve had it so long and the dream I have for it is almost too big for me to complete. In its current state it is a fine “original” driver. I can take it out for a week here and there and it does fine.

Looking for some advice...

The options I am considering now:

Sell it and buy a 67-72 stepside to mess with... (I pretty much have it sold for the price I want if I choose to)
This is the option I have been leaning towards. That pickup is my favorite by far and one I have wanted forever. This option may cause some “family groaning” which is why I haven’t done it yet.

Leave it as is and try to enjoy it a couple times a year for what it is. Find a cheap project to tinker with to keep me busy. It is starting to rust a bit in the hinge pockets and steps. I’m afraid if I do this it will rot away before I get enough $$$ to really rebuild it.

“Build” it cheaply this winter to make it a better driver that I can enjoy a little more. I would leave the body as is and just do the drivetrain for now. This way sounds great, but I only have about $5k to work with right now and I’m terribly impatient. I’m afraid I’ll get it torn apart, run out of free cash and never get it back together.

If I choose to do the drivetrain now, what does everyone think is the best way to go on a budget? I want a better ride, a V8 and auto trans, and better brakes.

Go with posies, keep the straight axle, disk brake conversion, etc. On paper this sounds like the best, but I’m afraid I’ll not be impressed and want to ifs it later? Any opinions on that?

Buy a $3k-$4k Camaro and do the front stub, rear, engine, and trans. This is appealing because finding a motor/trans for the same price is hard to do. The downfall is chopping up the frame.

Go with an aftermarket Mustang II Front. I don’t even know where to start with this one? Again, could I even do it with an engine/trans and rear end for my budget?

I’m just kind of lost with where to go from here. I can’t just let it sit as is unless I find another project. I don’t want to get so deep that it’s in pieces for years. Selling it seems like my best option. The only hang up there is that it is sentimental and I could regret it later down the line.

Anyone been in a similar situation and how did your choice work out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Razz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
mikebte

Re: Need some thoughts on a long time/sentimental 59

Sounds like you have a lot of wants and dreams. As do we all, after all that is part of what drives us.
Sounds like you may need to make yourself a time line or goals chart. What are you going to be doing with the truck? Racing, cruising, Looking at it (my old neighbor would by stuff simply to look at it and drink beer) car shows?

Myself, I put disc brakes and power steering on the old axle, no need for IFS.

Tell me a little more about your truck, and
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Razz11

Just cruise it honestly. I would like to take it from fun to drive because it’s old to fun to drive because it’s fun to drive. I would like to be able to drive it daily in the summer and have a little pep under the pedal when I mash it and also not worry about being able to turn or stop when needed. Doesn’t need to be crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
joedoh

have you ever built a truck? generally speaking, you will rarely do what you have never done. another way to say it is "past performance is the best indicator of future performance". a lot of guys like having a "project" but it usually just sits around as a project. you should get a goal instead, and speaking flatly your goal shouldnt be the "chase" of a new project. its easy to buy more parts and hard as hell to install them. use that as your guide, because buying a posies axle wont install it. buying a camaro wont install it.

my advice is to find a done truck of the same year that you can drive and judge on its characteristics and then swap your sheetmetal over. it will be done in weeks, and will cost less than buying and installing all of the parts yourself. if you truely arent sentimentally attached to it, then buy a done truck and sell the one you have, and enjoy the money and time savings.

if you HAVE built a truck before, then what is the hold up? life sure, family sure, but those arent really going to stop. cram the truck in wherever you can and remember that any progress is something done towards the goal.

edit: thats a nice start!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Razz11

I have built a few different rigs. The work isn’t what is holding me up. Really what is holding me up is the fear of not being happy with it when it’s “done”. I don’t want to spend the cash or time away from my kids and then be unhappy with how it turns out. I know right now in my life I’ll only be able to do a few things each year and it will “never” be done. I don’t like starting things and not finishing them.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
joedoh

I think you fit the "buy one done" and swap over the sheetmetal. your truck is a shortbed that runs and drives, so if you swap sheetmetal between two trucks you can sell the other, which would be harder to do if your truck was an inert longbed. add that realistic sale price to your 5k budget, and you could be driving this year. you will know what it drives like before you buy it too.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
mikebte

IMHO, I would put a power brake kit and steering box on. You will have that done in no time. You will be able to drive it and enjoy it all while feeling safe. It will only take a smaller budget and less time.
Than you can just enjoy the truck. If that is not enough do as mentioned and buy one done.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
_Ogre

nice looking truck, i'd drive it

sounds like you like the look but not how it drives or handles,
not sure you'd be any happier with a stock 6 cly, 3 on the tree, 67-72
v8 is easy as these trucks were designed for a sbc, it's a basic bolt in
auto is a little harder, as the motor mounts and trans mount need to be reworked
handling is harder yet and takes a lot more fabrication work/skill,
once you change to ifs, you also need a newer column and whole brake system

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Drive it into the ground and enjoy it! Clean up the brakes replacing what is needed and leave the drums, just drive it!

If you want something more, buy another truck the same year and sell that one, then "make" that other truck this truck in your head and enjoy it.

I know I have done stuff like that, like my grand mothers dishes (from the 40's). There were a few broken, there were no bowls. I found some on ebay and bought them mixed all together, they are now ALL my grandmothers dishes, you get what I mean?

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
Razz11

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
nice looking truck, i'd drive it

sounds like you like the look but not how it drives or handles,
not sure you'd be any happier with a stock 6 cly, 3 on the tree, 67-72
v8 is easy as these trucks were designed for a sbc, it's a basic bolt in
auto is a little harder, as the motor mounts and trans mount need to be reworked
handling is harder yet and takes a lot more fabrication work/skill,
once you change to ifs, you also need a newer column and whole brake system

I think you’ve pin pointed one of my hang ups. 10 years ago or probably 10 years from now I would already have this thing torn apart. I’ve just got so much going on right now. I think I’m afraid of tearing it down and opening a bunch of other cans of worms so to speak. I’ve been a part of a 72 build from the ground up.

I think I want more of a bolt on/modified/upgraded stock equipment project at the moment.

I guess that narrows it. Would I be happy with rebuilt/upgraded straight axle stuff and a V8, or do I just need to punt it and move on...

I also don’t “love” the appearance. It’s fine and it looks good, but I f*cking hate blue!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #11
1project2many

Funny, but I was pretty sure that was eastern MT as soon as I saw the 2nd picture.

I ran my truck all over Big Horn County unrestored. It's a V8 truck with a four speed so it has plenty of power. But there weren't any extras. It's pretty easy to enjoy fighting no power steering, no power brakes, and lotsa cab noise when you're young. Not so much after a lifetime of working. Getting into a project like you're describing can be an escape. When the vehicle gets done it's great but the time spent on the project is worth just as much. So if you don't enjoy the work of building a truck then I'd recommend you let that outfit go. The '67-'72 trucks are less work to drive, quieter inside, have more room in the cab, and are still worth more on resale generally than '55-'59s. With the 67-72 you can get the power steering, power brakes, the split brakes system everyone wants, and even factory AC if you look around.

And it almost sounds like the '59 will find its way back home anyway.

Last edited by 1project2many; 09-24-2018 at 08:59 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #12
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Sounds like your trying to talk yourself outta keeping it...if that's the case then let go of it...they do make some stuff that'll take care of that blue paint though..if you decide to keep it and want all those upgrades, i dont know if you could do it for 5k...it sounds good in theory but its always the little stuff that adds up fast and will blow a budget...if your gonna keep it then id find another frame and build the bottom end like you want while you still drive the truck...when you get it all done then swap the body over like was mentioned earlier...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #13
Black_Sheep

Make it safe and reliable then enjoy it until you have the time and funds to do it up right...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #14
Razz11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Funny, but I was pretty sure that was eastern MT as soon as I saw the 2nd picture.

I ran my truck all over Big Horn County unrestored. It's a V8 truck with a four speed so it has plenty of power. But there weren't any extras. It's pretty easy to enjoy fighting no power steering, no power brakes, and lotsa cab noise when you're young. Not so much after a lifetime of working. But if you don't enjoy the work of building a truck then I'd recommend you let that outfit go. The '67-'72 trucks are less work to drive, quieter inside, have more room in the cab, and are still worth more on resale generally than '55-'59s. With the 67-72 you can get the power steering, power brakes, the split brakes system everyone wants, and even factory AC if you look around.

And it almost sounds like the '59 will find its way back home anyway.
You might be right about that.

I think another thing that has kept me from digging into it is that I’m afraid when I make big changes I will lose what I love about the truck. I love that’s it’s work to drive, clunky, underpowered, loud, bouncy, etc. I also think what I love about it keeps me from driving it more.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz11 View Post
You might be right about that.

I think another thing that has kept me from digging into it is that I’m afraid when I make big changes I will lose what I love about the truck. I love that’s it’s work to drive, clunky, underpowered, loud, bouncy, etc. I also think what I love about it keeps me from driving it more.
Well, that makes some sense. I didn't make big changes underneath mine. I found a way to install a sway bar and a larger tie rod and that's about it. And I did that before it was restored. It's still running the same brake shoes and shocks that were on it when I dragged it out of Nebraska in '93. I found a Hydrovac unit from a '65 truck which I'm going to install for power brakes, and I'm working on figuring out a way to install a power assist steering from another vehicle.

But I think a mild V8 swap would make it a little more fun for you.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #16
lv2tri2

From personal experience, I would say don't sell it. It's a great truck. Time can correct anything, patience.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #17
mr48chev

Can't say much on the don't sell/ sell to get what really spins your wheels thing. That is between you and your family. I sold my 48 once back in the 70's to be able to buy a TF truck and ended up trading the TF panel back for the 48.

What I can say is do not cut the truck up to put a Camaro subframe on it. First that is obsolete technology and you just flat have to hack the front end sheet metal of the truck up too much to do it. Paying 3 K for a Camaro to strip doesn't make any sense either.

You might want to look into the Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember for the TF trucks http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/...959-gm-trucks/ 875 looks like a lot of money until you figure out that the Dakota donor suspension, brakes and steering should come to less than 400 and possibly a whole lot less if you find a deal. I bought a dead Dakota for 200, sold some parts, pulled the suspension and steering off the front and sold the hulk for 100 ending up having about 80 bucks in my donor parts. I already had the big brake rotors off another rig I parted out that have the same bolt pattern as the 9 inch Ford rear axle I have for it.

If I were going to keep that truck long term I think I'd sit down and make plans for doing the truck in sections over a number of winters rather than trying to do it all at one time. Maybe suspension and engine and trans swap one year. If that goes quick enough then do one small project at a time such as repairing the doorposts or what not until you have it all done but don't have it all spread all over the garage for several years. When it comes to missing several seasons of driving the truck because it is torn down it isn't a lot of fun and one looses interest. If you can do it in stages and then drive it the next season while planning the next stage it sometimes works better all around.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:22 AM   #18
nail pounder

My .02¢ is keep it. But if it's not your dream truck then sell it. Here's how my current situation happened. I have a 66 C20, 350/5spd, PB, PS and it drives great, cruises 80mph etc, but it wasn't my dream truck. I always wanted a 58 fleetside, but they were always out of my budget. While surfing Craigslist one night I found a running stock 58 fleet, I6, three on the tree for 4000$ that needed a clutch and some TLC. Holy crap I was on it! This was my dream truck! I drove a hundred miles, paid $3500 and trailered it 100 miles home grinning from ear to ear. I installed a new clutch, cleaned it up and drove it locally for about 8 months. I hated it! It was gutless compared to my 66, no syncro, top speed of 50mph. One day my daughter and I were cruising down a two lane road and I was getting tailgated by a Prius, my daughter said I should probably pull over...that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I thought to myself, it will be a cold day in HE-double hockey sticks before I pull over for a Prius. I drove straight home and put it on Craigslist, well, just the motor and transmission that is. It took a month or so but I found a buyer for the I6 and trans for $750, meanwhile I had located a "lightly used" crate motor and 700r4 that was being replaced with an LS. The compression checked out and a deal was made. The rest is history, my 58 is still a work in progress but I can take it out on the weekend and let the smoke out of the tires. Its now got a 3" drop axle, power disk brakes and goes 80mph no problem and I'm happy i made the switch. It will probably never be done, but the point of my long winded story is this. If your 59 is not your favorite body style, then sell it. If it is, then make it what you want. I did the motor, trans, drop axle, and brakes for less than $5K and I'm sure you could too.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #19
dsraven

ok, my 2 cents.
if you like the truck but hate the cons (loud, bouncy, underpowered, poor shifting, std strg and brks, poor heater and wipers, slow on the highway etc) and are looking at a newer version of the same thing (from the 60's), except possibly power steering, brakes and more power, then do a little leg work and find out what it would cost to do the mods to the old truck. seriously price it out at worst case scenario. they make bolt in ifs cross members that you can install yourself and have rack and pinion but you will need to modify or replace the column, brake system etc.
you can scrounge some parts off craigslist or buy a wreck that has the engine/trans/diff/steering column you want, scrap or sell what you don't need off the wreck. the other method is as mentioned, buy or build a frame and drivetrain you like and then stick the old body on top when done. you still get to drive the old truck in the interim. the frame is pretty flat so you could even build one if need be. I would not opt for the camaro clip method, personally, because they make so many decent bolt in ifs systems.
the other side of the coin is to sell it and spiff up your daily driver, which hopefully has all of the above along with upgraded safety equipment for the family. the second is what I did years back. now the family is gone and I wished I had kept my 58 fleetside in a garage somewhere because what I could find for a project nowadays is really rusty. wives usually like the newer, better riding, quieter drivers, that they can also drive and feel "cool" in but feel like it won't leave them stranded somewhere. my wife was more apt to spend money on a daily driver to make it cool than "spend more money on that old thing again".

anyway, in my opinion (and possibly your wife's) you would simply be
swapping years and body styles by selling and buying a newer version from the 60's. still gonna be a want list, still gonna be noisy, not gonna have the safety equipment to haul your kids around in (not sure of the ages or if car seats are a factor) and it's gonna be sitting there begging to have money spent. all that aside, if you are ok driving it as is, keep it. upgrading the axle to something with discs won't make it ride better or steer better unless you add power steering and then you will need to assess the rest of the steering system, springs, spring pins and bushings, shocks etc. the frame mounted p/s box from the 70's era trucks, that some use on these trucks with a solid axle, will reduce the steering lock to lock turning radius because the tire rubs the steering box when tuirned all the way to the right. the box is mounted to the frame ahead of the axle centerline, so if you go with the other style of box that, mounts where the old box was, you get full turning radius but it is more costly.
what I am saying is, do a complete feasability study, include the wife in the decision making process (yep, cash spent affects her as well), consider the safety issues with kids riding and decide from there.
your truck looks to be in pretty good shape but could still easily go past the 5g budget.
write down what you want to do with it and how much you want to do yourself
price out what that will cost
write down what you would want from a different truck
price that out
include the upgraded daily driver concept if that would work for you
price that out
decide
easy peasy right?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
dsraven

honestly, that is a solid looking truck but, do a feasability study to repair ALL the stuff it needs. that way you don't keep bleeding from the pocket book. it's great to have a project but you still gotta live. if you have the ability to store it you can always chip away at stuff. it will cost you more in the long run though due to inflation.
really not trying to shut you down. just being honest from my past experience.
if you can afford it the easy way would be the "build a new frame" route.
check all the cab mounts etc to ensure you don't open a can of worms if you decide to go that route.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote