The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
z71se

Ridetech vs CPP vs No Limit vs Porterbuilt 4-Link / Trailing Arms?

Hey guys I'm trying to decide which rear suspension to go with on my 77 SWB C10. Let me start out by saying I will never Autocross, I like to cruise on the street and I *might* throw some drag radials on the truck and see what it will do in the 1/4 once or twice. It will absolutely not be a drag truck. I have a bad back and ride quality / softness in the rear of the truck is my #1 priority.

I like the Ridetech kit because it's a complete package, front and rear. Ridetech says I don't need their airbags since I don't plan to lay frame, and their coilovers are tailored for ride quality.

CPP also has a complete kit with front a-arms (conventional springs, not coilovers) and a rear trailing arm kit OR it looks like they also have a 4-link setup?

Porterbuilt doesn't appear to have a front a-arm kit (besides their entire crossmember) and they offer (I think) both a 4-link and a trailing arm kit.

Given what I have mentioned that ride quality is my #1 priority, which setup would you go with? I like the idea of going all 1 manufacturer front and rear, but I honestly can't decide between trailing arms vs 4-link.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
JohnJ@RideTech

Re: Ridetech vs CPP vs No Limit vs Porterbuilt 4-Link / Trailing Arms?

You are correct, our kit will give you both ride quality AND performance. With 24 different rebound setting on each coilover and the ability to change spring rate to suit your needs, our kit gives you the ability to really fine tune the ride quality to your liking.

Along with the comfortable ride, having the peace of mind that our products have been Track Tested right here in Indiana and can handle whatever you want to throw at them really makes our components stand out. There are multiple members of this site that run our systems, feel free to ask around and get some feedback from them, I don't think you will be disappointed.

If you have any questions about any of the Ridetech components, feel free to contact me direct. I will be more than happy to help you out. 812-481-4737
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
MalibuSSwagon

I installed a CPP trailing arm kit on my truck. I will let you know that their instructions leave alot to your imagination, they are quite vague and don't contain any measurements. If you contact them for support, they are not much help either.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
bluex

An I have the porterbuilt trailing arm kit. Also a complete lack of instructions, just a few pictures and one measurement for the C-notch. They are helpful with questions and problems when you can get in touch with them. It rides good but it was alot of trouble to install for a "bolt-in" kit. I had to modify alot to get it to fit. I'm happy with it but given the opportunity I would go another direction on a different truck.

Sounds like Ride Tech is your best bet. Honestly anything that gets you away from leaf springs in the rear should ride better.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #5
funkatation

I had a similar requirement. I went airbags over coil over because I still may want to load up the bed.
funkatation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:18 AM   #6
z71se

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkatation View Post
I had a similar requirement. I went airbags over coil over because I still may want to load up the bed.
How is the ride? I read on Instagram that the Ridetech kit with coilovers is "firm but not harsh"... hopefully not too firm!!!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:20 AM   #7
funkatation

It’s still in progress! I went with porterbuilt. They have front arms in a stage 2 kit that use stock crossmember. I’ve seen bags, coil over, and spring versions from them.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:22 AM   #8
z71se

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkatation View Post
It’s still in progress! I went with porterbuilt.
You went with the trailing arm or 4-link kit?

I wonder if the trailing arms, being longer, offer a more compliant ride?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:23 AM   #9
funkatation

I went 4 link because of my engines HP.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #10
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71se View Post
You went with the trailing arm or 4-link kit?

I wonder if the trailing arms, being longer, offer a more compliant ride?
I've never rode in a truck with a 4-link. My truck rides very comparable to my friends 72 now. If you know someone with a 67-72 trailing arm truck on air go for a ride with them and see how you like it. Even if it isnt on air you can still see how you like the ride as long as it was lowered properly and has a decent set of shocks on it.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
Bmstd

Have you checked out the new 4 link from TCI or checked with QA1? They both offer some very nice options for the squarebody trucks.
Bmstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
JohnJ@RideTech

If anyone would like to see the instructions to our 4-Link kit, I would be more than happy to send you a PDF copy of them. I will also include a link below to the video we made when we installed the kit on our 87 SWB.
Also listed below are a few other build threads from this forum where members use our kit. They are very informative and a good resource to those who are looking to upgrade their suspension.

Install video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3v4nPwe6-8&t=5s

Link to the product page on our website:
http://www.ridetech.com/products/sus...1973-1987-c10/

Install build thread (includes multiple pictures of the kit):
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=745710

N2TRUX Build Thread with Ridetech Kit:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=745710

1957_Chief Build Thread with Ridetech Kit:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=747247

Switch Suspension Squarebody Build:
http://www.ridetech.com/info/2017/11...9cace-92839389

Between the above links, there should be plenty of information about the components and how the kit goes together. Check them out and let me know if you have any questions.
JJohnson@ridetech.com

Last edited by JohnJ@RideTech; 11-30-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #13
z71se

Switch describes the ride as firm, but not harsh... on their Instagram page. I love the marketing of the Ridetech stuff and will be using it on the front.

But the rear is my main hesitation. The Ridetech 4-link uses non-heim joint urethane bushings throughout. The CPP and Portebuilt trailing arms are very long indeed! That suggest somehow the range of motion of the rear suspension from a geommetry standpoint could be superior.

The Ridetech and other 4-links also complicate tailpipe routing over the rear axle due to the placement of the panhard bar bracket.

Just a few things to think about on my end... would love to hear any other input.

Also: can we confirm that air bags ride just as soft as coilovers? I still haven't been able to get an answer to that.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:45 PM   #14
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Ill speak on behalf of the ridetech setup.

When I did my research for my truck build I did a lot of reading and searching on this forum as well as many others that we all use. I currently have ridetech components on my 1957 truck, as well as having porterbuilt components on my other 1955 truck. The quality of both kits/companies is above reproach in my mind.

A few reasons why I chose ridetech:

1. I went with Matt at MCB's to purchase the components. He and Kim have taken care of me, and their customer service is the best in the business in my opinion.
2. When I ordered the kit, I got an estimated ship date, as well as an ETA on when my back ordered parts would get here. None more than 2 weeks out. When I bought the kit, they were just hitting the market. I expected delays, but never got them.
3. I formed a great relationship with John and Josh at ridetech. Throughout the whole process, they were always a call/text or an email away. And we worked through a ton of questions/measurements...to help them, myself as well as everyone else that purchases this kit.
4. With the time crunch, I was up against, I decided a true bolt-on kit would be ok. I have no problems or reservations about welding in a 4 link, I just decided that it was easier to just bolt it in, and go.

I have great respect for the vendors and companies that support the aftermarket world, and I chose this system because of customer service and follow up after the sale as well as the fact that not only does it look sexy, it works.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #15
funkatation

I thought they rode softer. Most coil overs I’ve seen tend to be stiffer. But of course it absolutely depends on the application.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
z71se

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957 Chief View Post
Ill speak on behalf of the ridetech setup.

When I did my research for my truck build I did a lot of reading and searching on this forum as well as many others that we all use. I currently have ridetech components on my 1957 truck, as well as having porterbuilt components on my other 1955 truck. The quality of both kits/companies is above reproach in my mind.

A few reasons why I chose ridetech:

1. I went with Matt at MCB's to purchase the components. He and Kim have taken care of me, and their customer service is the best in the business in my opinion.
2. When I ordered the kit, I got an estimated ship date, as well as an ETA on when my back ordered parts would get here. None more than 2 weeks out. When I bought the kit, they were just hitting the market. I expected delays, but never got them.
3. I formed a great relationship with John and Josh at ridetech. Throughout the whole process, they were always a call/text or an email away. And we worked through a ton of questions/measurements...to help them, myself as well as everyone else that purchases this kit.
4. With the time crunch, I was up against, I decided a true bolt-on kit would be ok. I have no problems or reservations about welding in a 4 link, I just decided that it was easier to just bolt it in, and go.

I have great respect for the vendors and companies that support the aftermarket world, and I chose this system because of customer service and follow up after the sale as well as the fact that not only does it look sexy, it works.

Bubba
Good feedback. I can tell Ridetech is clearly the more organized company with the most widely used products. They are a well oiled machine, who have a forum presence and are a household name. I still would like to make my own best decision for my particular goals. I can certainly appreciate the Ridetech brand, but I've learned oh so many times in my hot rodding days that the most popular or well known or most expensive or easiest to install is not always the best choice for my goals.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #17
blindbug

I'd go Ridetech if I could afford it. Customer Service is a dying industry, and it seems to me that Ridetech is way out on top with regards to the response to questions and advice on installation and transparency. Based on that alone, I love Ridetech as a company. This isn't even going into the fact that they have a solid track history and a 1 million mile warranty on their shocks (I mean WHAT!?). Like I said, if I could afford it (dang them kids and wife), it'd be the direction I'd take.
blindbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #18
JohnJ@RideTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71se View Post
Switch describes the ride as firm, but not harsh... on their Instagram page. I love the marketing of the Ridetech stuff and will be using it on the front.

But the rear is my main hesitation. The Ridetech 4-link uses non-heim joint urethane bushings throughout. The CPP and Portebuilt trailing arms are very long indeed! That suggest somehow the range of motion of the rear suspension from a geommetry standpoint could be superior.

The Ridetech and other 4-links also complicate tailpipe routing over the rear axle due to the placement of the panhard bar bracket.

Just a few things to think about on my end... would love to hear any other input.

Also: can we confirm that air bags ride just as soft as coilovers? I still haven't been able to get an answer to that.
I apologize for not answering that earlier in the post.
In all honesty, comparing the ride quality of a properly equipped air setup and a properly equipped coilover setup is like comparing red apples to green apples.
In a static dropped application (coil overs, coil springs) the spring rates are predetermined by the coil, from there (based on your needs) we set up the components with a rate that is best suited to meet your needs. In an air application, spring rate is determined by the amount of air pressure that the bag has in it. With air, changes in air pressure can change the way your car rides AND it can be done on the fly. In a coilover application, spring rate can be changed but it involves removing the coilover from the vehicle and swapping out the spring.
Keep in mind that ride quality doesn't just come from the spring rate itself. Another very important factor to consider when addressing ride quality is the type of shock that you use. The spring rate and shock have to work together as a system to achieve optimal ride quality.
We use a monotube, single adjustable piece with 24 different rebound adjustments built into each shock. The shocks monotube design utilizes a larger piston for superior oil control and increases the handling performance and ride quality while using fewer parts than a traditional twin tube design. Better fluid management will allow the oil to stay cooler which in turn leads to longer shock life (hence the million and one mile warranty).
With the ability to change spring rate and control rebound speed on each corner, optimal ride quality can be achieved with either air or coil springs. It really all comes down to if you want to be able to "air out" the system when you park to get the lowest height possible.
I truly believe that if you were to drive a properly setup air vehicle and one correctly setup with coilovers you would not be able to tell me what vehicle had which suspension in regards to ride quality.
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Old 03-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #19
z71se

Hey guys just bringing this back up to the top to see if anyone else in the last 6 months has installed a CPP trailing arm kit, or a Ridetech or Portebuilt 4-link kit.

My main goal is to improve rear ride quality. I also do not wish to put the truck in the weeds. Given that the Ridetech kit does not offer the ability to adjust ride height, I must eliminate it from my options. They simply set the truck far too low for my liking.