The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #1
bh86

Issues with power windows after rebuilding doors

So I’ve gone through the doors on my 84 and replaced pins, bushings, all new rubber, new motors and regulators, and all new power window harness from gmachinz (The harnesses are beautiful btw). The problem I’m running into is that the windows are still extremely slow, in fact they won’t even go up all the way unless assisted. The brand of power window and regulators is ACI, the regulators seemed to be well built when compared to some others I have seen, but I don’t know if these motors could be the problem? I put the passengers side together first and played around with it and thought, maybe the drivers side will be different, but it was even worse. Has anyone else had the same issues? I have a power probe and tested to see how much voltage I was getting at the motors and there’s plenty. Is it possible I installed the rubber incorrectly? I don’t see how, I’ve done this before and not had issues but I’m definitely no pro and it’s been so long since I did the last windows that it was like starting over again. I’m wondering if I should try different motors at this point but hoping that someone else may have had experience with the same brand and could give their experience good or bad. It’s getting frustrating at this point to say the least but I’m going to figure it out somehow!!
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
Sabaka454

Re: Issues with power windows after rebuilding doors

Loosen the guides and disconnect from the regulator, lubricate the seals and adjust the guides so that the window moves up and down manually with no resistance. Mark the location of the bolt and then reattach the window to the regulator. Use a suitable window lubricant.
Sabaka454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaka454 View Post
Loosen the guides and disconnect from the regulator, lubricate the seals and adjust the guides so that the window moves up and down manually with no resistance. Mark the location of the bolt and then reattach the window to the regulator. Use a suitable window lubricant.
What do you use to lubricate the seals?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
4x4k30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh86 View Post
What do you use to lubricate the seals?
use silicone lubricate on the seals. also with the new widow seals it takes a while to free them up. my new rollup windows and seals and new door weather stripping it took a long time for them to get easyer to use .
Old 03-17-2018, 03:01 AM   #5
bh86

Any suggestions on brand of Silicon lube?
Old 03-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh86 View Post
Any suggestions on brand of Silicon lube?
Dont matter , Just get a spray silicone and spray all the fuzzies . I had to do mine and it made a big difference . Never had to spray then a second time .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

I used white lithium spray grease on mine. You might want to google this topic. I don't know which grease is best for the little plastic rollers.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

Also, I used cheap Ebay window run channels and they are too thick, which puts resistance against the windows as they roll up. I hear that Precision makes the best window run channels. What brand did you use? If you spray silicone liberally on the run channels and the windows roll up better, then that may be your problem.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Also, I used cheap Ebay window run channels and they are too thick, which puts resistance against the windows as they roll up. I hear that Precision makes the best window run channels. What brand did you use? If you spray silicone liberally on the run channels and the windows roll up better, then that may be your problem.
That's good to know about the eBay brands as I've always wondered. I'm actually using Precision myself. I've heard good things so it's all I've ever used. The last couple times I've done these it's been with manual window trucks and I didn't have issues. I sometimes secretly wish they were all manual lol
Old 03-18-2018, 04:07 AM   #10
bh86

Tried using the silicone and, although it did help, it’s still super slow. It’s so slow that it will stop itself a few times on the way up, once it gets to the last quarter of an inch or so it will not close all the way without my help. I rolled it up all the way and decided to leave it for a couple of days, one in hopes that it helps them break in and hopefully soften up, and two because I’m a lil frustrated and had to move onto other areas I’m working on with the truck in the meantime. I got the power steering pump swapped tonight, redyed the dash pad, put the new diverter valve link in for the heat and ac in the heater box, and put some of the ventilation back in. Hopefully after a few days of thinking about it’s attitude it’ll rethink its position and work like butter for me lol �� I doubt that’ll be the case, I’ll likely have to figure something else out but I’ll let y’all know if I get lucky!

Last edited by bh86; 03-18-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
tucsonjwt

To clarify, I meant white lithium spray grease for the regulator tracks, and silicone spray for the window run channels.

If everything is new, and the windows are not binding on the run channels, then I suspect weak motors. You can now get AC Delco window regulators with motors attached, and I think the price for the two components together is less than buying the motors and regulators separately. I would check online for the best prices - I usually do a google search once I have the part number. Maybe if the ACD parts work you can send the other parts back for a refund.

Let us know how this works out because this is a common problem with our squares.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #12
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
To clarify, I meant white lithium spray grease for the regulator tracks, and silicone spray for the window run channels.

If everything is new, and the windows are not binding on the run channels, then I suspect weak motors. You can now get AC Delco window regulators with motors attached, and I think the price for the two components together is less than buying the motors and regulators separately. I would check online for the best prices - I usually do a google search once I have the part number. Maybe if the ACD parts work you can send the other parts back for a refund.

Let us know how this works out because this is a common problem with our squares.
That's a good idea, I'll see if can find those ACD units. I just want to get it all buttoned up and done at this point!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #13
TKCR

I just want to throw this in here, you might already now this. But I have seen it happen several times, when people are cycling the window motor. But make sure the truck is running and not just in the acc. mode. Window motors will tend to run slower when the key is in acc mode, rather than if the truck is running. And then they will get too hot and stop running altogether until they cool off.

I work in an auto factory and doors were kind of my speciality. I would see other people make a repair and then come get me because they are puzzled on why some of the functions of the door, mainly the window, are slower than normal. So we would start the car and all was fine.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:19 AM   #14
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I just want to throw this in here, you might already now this. But I have seen it happen several times, when people are cycling the window motor. But make sure the truck is running and not just in the acc. mode. Window motors will tend to run slower when the key is in acc mode, rather than if the truck is running. And then they will get too hot and stop running altogether until they cool off.

I work in an auto factory and doors were kind of my speciality. I would see other people make a repair and then come get me because they are puzzled on why some of the functions of the door, mainly the window, are slower than normal. So we would start the car and all was fine.
Thanks for the follow-up. I did try starting it and although it helped it didn't solve the issue. I'm going to try again tomorrow after letting them sit rolled up. I do feel that they should at the very least close up all the way even with the motor off, is that correct or should I wait for the rubber to breaking first before expecting that?
Old 03-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
truckin 79

Power windows on older cars trucks draw a lot of amps. I have a 79 Trans Am and I was going to do a relay upgrade but went straight to a CS130 alternator upgrade and helped windows work a whole lot faster, with car running of course. I can actually put both windows up and down at the same time as before I had to do one at a time. Check out this article, Just throwing other suggestions out there for you to possibly try
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...s/3728021.html
Old 03-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #16
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin 79 View Post
Power windows on older cars trucks draw a lot of amps. I have a 79 Trans Am and I was going to do a relay upgrade but went straight to a CS130 alternator upgrade and helped windows work a whole lot faster, with car running of course. I can actually put both windows up and down at the same time as before I had to do one at a time. Check out this article, Just throwing other suggestions out there for you to possibly try
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...s/3728021.html
That’s actually not a bad idea. If I can’t get this figured out then I’ll look into that, thanks!