The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
DENALI

What's with all the "Shiny" patina?

I am not talking the faked out patina jobs, I am talking about true patina as nature made it that's been "cleared" or coated. Is this something that's seriously popular? To me it just seems to "cheapen" the truck. Not sure that's the right word for it or not. I guess I just don't get it?
DENALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
lv2tri2

Re: What's with all the "Shiny" patina?

You are not alone.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
ptc

Big discussion on this already on another thread ---- search patina!

but before you make comments about it - search WEBSTERS first and understand what PATINA actually is.... most vehicle customizing people havent a clue!

Last edited by ptc; 01-21-2016 at 04:58 PM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
Coach529

That is a funny topic.

My truck is on the cleaner end of the spectrum in patina scale and I get a lot of questions from people asking if I am going to clear coat it. The thought has never crossed my mind........yuck!!

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
Task Force Era

I think it's pretty much saving it from any more rust. But if there's no surface rust and just original patina paint then I don't get it.

I have a 60 Bonneville that's original paint but there's lots of surface rust and I've noticed from being out in the weather, it's getting worse. But if that ends up getting a coat of clear it's gonna be the absolute flattest clear possible
Task Force Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I have one in here now that they cleared over the rust and the rot. My opinion on how they look is neutral but it seems a waste of expensive clear coat that's going to bubble in a few months.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
indynick

This is my Father's original truck. This is 58 year old paint. People often ask if I am going to repaint it. My answer is always no because that is not how I remember his truck.
I don't care for the shiny patina or painted patina. Just my opinion.
Attached Images

indynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
flashed

What is the best way to clean and care for a natural patina truck ? My 74 stepside is very thin in original paint with very little rust thru. I dont really want to sand and clear coat it.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #9
HUSSEY

I have wonder about that myself too. Also, why wouldn't clear just eventually bubble and flake off when painted over rust. I don't criticize much but clear over patina looks kinda lame to me, it takes away the patina look.

My thought is, how are you preserving it when it took 50-60 years go get there. If you keep it indoors, maybe some wax or something like Gibbs on it, it's not going to "rust out".

Last edited by HUSSEY; 01-22-2016 at 10:42 AM.
HUSSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:54 AM   #10
mr48chev

One of the popular fads because someone famous did it so now it's done to be one of the cool guys.

To me Indynicks dad's truck is what I see as "patina" well loved, used and cared for over a long period but showing no signs of neglect. Wheel it down to the local detail shop and they can bring back some shine in the paint that ends up being that soft glow that looks the same way a well loved old saddle looks that has always been cared for. You know those worn spots in the paint came from washing and maybe polishing on a regular basis along with using it.
This is an ot rig for here and I hope the mods don't get in a uproar as it shows what real patina is and should be. Softly worn paint and chrome that has obviously been well cared for but shows it's age in a gentle way.

In the late 80's when I worked in a parts house in Sunnyside Wa I am pretty sure I talked to the gent who had owned it for years but was afraid to drive it because the gas gauge didn't work. He was in his 80's then. A few years later I saw it headed up the freeway on a trailer and the next time I saw it was at that car

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #11
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by indynick View Post
This is my Father's original truck. This is 58 year old paint. People often ask if I am going to repaint it. My answer is always no because that is not how I remember his truck.
I don't care for the shiny patina or painted patina. Just my opinion.
It is perfect.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
YukonXL04

This is my version of patina. My only problem is just wiping the truck down and the rag turns red, Im thinking maybe wax it to seal it up?

YukonXL04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
1project2many

My '36 sat in a garage since '59. Other than the fenders, which were probably painted sometime in the '50s, the paint is original. It's faded in spots, gone in spots, and probably qualifies as having real patina.The back of the car has some rust and it's gotten worse since I've put it back on the road. So far all I've done is use phosphoric acid "rust converter" to slow it but it *may* get some flat clearcoat if the rust continues. I will probably have to paint the car eventually but I'm going to put it off as long as possible.

Every time you wash or wipe a lacquer finish you take some of the solids off. That's the problem with lacquer, there really isn't anything to bind the solids together like a modern finish. Wax can protect it. Some folks have used silicone sealers although I don't really like them. If you decide to use a wax, make sure it is not a "cleaner" wax and that it has no abrasives. I believe Mother's has a product for marine use with no abrasives.

Last edited by 1project2many; 01-22-2016 at 10:58 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #14
Coach529

My truck was badly oxidized from sitting for 35 years with no love. I hit it hard with CLR and scotchbrite to clean it up. That took care of the oxidation and surface rust.

I then gave it a really good coat of wax and it looked awesome, for a couple of months. Then every in perfection, crack crevice, etc turned white from the dried wax.

This summer I plan on stripping the wax and giving it a good rub down with some Gibb's oil.

http://www.getgibbs.com/

I have also heard of good things about Boiled Linseed Oil. Rub it on and let it back in the sun. I used it on my bed rails and bed wood and it turned out great.

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 01-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #15
dubds10
Stalker Nate

I prefer to see old faded paint buffed out to its original luster just as the truck would've looked when it came off the line. If there's just surface rust it can be rubbed off & turn to black which we see in some of the cleaning jobs. Once it's buffed out you can try & protect it with wax, but if it's rusted through it'll never fully stop till that metal is cut out & replaced. Everybody talks about keeping the trucks original paint, but then they do nothing to it & keep it dull looking lol The trucks came shiny from the factory so why not make it look as good as it did in its younger years by buffing out the old lead paint.

I agree the clearing over "patina" aka rust is just stupid though. It's take 30-50years for these trucks to rust this far, you think that clear is gonna protect it now lol Especially if the rusty metal isn't fixed first haha

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #16
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach529 View Post
I then gave it a really good coat of wax and it looked awesome, for a couple of months. Then every in perfection, crack crevice, etc turned white from the dried wax.

This summer I plan on stripping the wax and giving it a good rub down with some Gibb's oil.

http://www.getgibbs.com/

I have also heard of good things about Boiled Linseed Oil. Rub it on and let it back in the sun. I used it on my bed rails and bed wood and it turned out great.
To bad the wax didn't work out, but I'm glad you shared it because that was what I was going to do. What kind of wax did you use. I've heard of folks using a heavy paste wax, something like boat anchor wax.

I tried Gibbs on a small area. The thing I didn't like is it left the surface oily which would show finger prints and collect dust. I left it on there for a little while. Maybe it would dry out eventually but I sprayed some simple green on it and wiped it off.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #17
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSSEY View Post
To bad the wax didn't work out, but I'm glad you shared it because that was what I was going to do. What kind of wax did you use. I've heard of folks using a heavy paste wax, something like boat anchor wax.

I tried Gibbs on a small area. The thing I didn't like is it left the surface oily which would show finger prints and collect dust. I left it on there for a little while. Maybe it would dry out eventually but I sprayed some simple green on it and wiped it off.
I used a really good carnuba wax. It looked great until that wax dried.

The Gibb's is supposed to dry with heat....but I am not sure of the timeline. The boiled linseed I used in the bed dried within a week.

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 01-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
Bone$

What about when your patina is i guess you can say is as bad as mine? you can tell it has been painted 3 times and the white is cracked and flaky? I also have some Huge spots of rust but it is surface rust. What would you do with that?

I had plans of cleaning it up with CLR and Flat clearing it but you guys have me rethinking my plans.

Patina gurus shed your knowledge
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone$ View Post
What about when your patina is i guess you can say as bad ass mine? you can tell it has been painted 3 times and the white is cracked and flaky? I also have some Huge spots of rust but it is surface rust. What would you do with that?

I had plans of cleaning it up with CLR and Flat clearing it but you guys have me rethinking my plans.

Patina gurus shed your knowledge
I would try Gibb's or Boiled Linseed in a inconspicuous spot.

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #20
RINC

Had mine clear coated with the thought of stopping the aging of the patina.

A bit of rubbing and clear coating.

A year or more on now and there is a lot of bubbling of the clear in certain spots.

I will continue to "Drive it like I stole it"

'69 C-20
'04 Jeep TJ
RINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #21
joedoh

I leave it alone. I like the dry weathered look anyway.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:45 PM   #22
jackson

clear peels off some basecoats. just sayin
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #23
Iceburgh

I guess it is all what you want and the look you like. I suppose the benefits are there to keep it from getting worse. There is flat clear that might be better.
I am not a fan of patina at all.