The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2022, 05:59 PM   #1
smullen

Question for Bagged Folks on putting the vehicle on jacks or a lift.

I know pretty much how bags work, parts, concepts, etc...

I'm building a collection of parts now for a future bag job....

I tend to over analyse things I've not had much experience with so please forgive my stupid questions.

IF a truck is bagged and it goes into shop for repairs and they jack it up high enough to work under it, or put it up on a lift, does that put any strain on the bags, or bag suspension system?

Seems like the weight of the Rim/Tire would want to rip them off, if that make sense...

Seen a lot of bagged trucks, but never talked to anyone or seen any measures to prevent issues... I never thought about it till now, when I was researching 4 Links and stuff for the rear.
smullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Question for Bagged Folks on putting the vehicle on jacks or a lift.

Limiting straps or set the shocks up to limit travel.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:37 AM   #3
Willie Makeit

shock travel is the limiting factor in most systems
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:29 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by smullen View Post

I tend to over analyse things I've not had much experience with so please forgive my stupid questions.

IF a truck is bagged and it goes into shop for repairs and they jack it up high enough to work under it, or put it up on a lift, does that put any strain on the bags, or bag suspension system?

Seems like the weight of the Rim/Tire would want to rip them off, if that make sense...

Seen a lot of bagged trucks, but never talked to anyone or seen any measures to prevent issues... I never thought about it till now, when I was researching 4 Links and stuff for the rear.
You are correct.... If the vehicle is lifted off the ground & the weighted suspension extends beyond the limit of the air bags, they can be damaged.

Some type of 'limiter' is needed to prevent damages. As indicated, the 'limiter' is typically a shock but even then sometimes the shock travel range is too long & damage can occur. This is where a limiting strap works well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
smullen

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You are correct.... If the vehicle is lifted off the ground & the weighted suspension extends beyond the limit of the air bags, they can be damaged.

Some type of 'limiter' is needed to prevent damages. As indicated, the 'limiter' is typically a shock but even then sometimes the shock travel range is too long & damage can occur. This is where a limiting strap works well.
This is what I thought, but I've been scouring Magazines, websites and youtube videos for days looking at 4 links bag systems and bagged front ends in planning out what I'm going to do or have done to my C10 and I have yet too see anything extra or see anyone mention it.

I tend to obsess over the small stuff like this and other details.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
smullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 04:44 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
This is what I thought, but I've been scouring Magazines, websites and youtube videos for days looking at 4 links bag systems and bagged front ends in planning out what I'm going to do or have done to my C10 and I have yet too see anything extra or see anyone mention it.

I tend to obsess over the small stuff like this and other details.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
IMO, you're not obsessing over small details & stuff like this can impact your results in a detrimental way.

There are a lot of things not mentioned when it comes to any vehicle that can make contact w/the concrete when air'd out. Many safety points are conveniently passed over in favor of the "but it's so cool" mantra.

One thing I didn't mention is that shocks aren't intended to be a 'limiter' for the weighted suspension. Typically it's the springs limiting things. Over extending a shock can damage the seals. That may not be a big deal on cheap shocks but if it's a high-end set of dampeners it can unnecessarily hit the wallet hard.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote