The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
oldcycler

Electro-Hydraulic Control Unit - ABS System

Does anyone have experience with the ABS Electro-Hydraulic Control Unit on a 01 Suburban? Mine seems to have gone south. I got a call from my wife that the ABS light was on and there was a loud noise coming from underneath the truck. I went over to her work and the motor to the EHCU was constantly running. The only way I could stop it was to disconnect the power harness. Removing brake system fuses did not help. I carefully drove it home and left her my truck.

The EHCU is on the left frame rail right next to the fuel filter. From the phone calls I made, the dealer is the only one that carries the part - it is about $800.

Does anyone know if the whole unit has to be replaced? Is there some other electronic control that would cause the motor to constanly run?

Thanks.
oldcycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
oldcycler

Re: Electro-Hydraulic Control Unit - ABS System

It looks like I am out of luck. All the mechanics I talked to say you have to replace the whole part. I finally found that you can get it from the AC/Delco store but it is the same price as the dealer.

GM has also raised the price - $950. With the 1.6 hour labor rate to install it comes up just over $1,100.

The Suburban only has 51K miles. Seems like quite a shame for it to go out so soon and be so expensive to repair. I will definetly be talking to the zone manager.

The shops around town said that this is a very common problem on the 99+ GM trucks and they were suprised that there was not a recall on them. Has anyone had their EHCU go out?
oldcycler is offline   Reply With Quote