The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
Matt_50

Old wheel to newer column

You guys might like this. I recently got a 68 tilt auto steering column with no key for a Chevy truck. Thought it would look more stock like than an 80s or 90s column in my 50 3100. Anyways I got to doing some searches on keeping the original wheel. It's shape at the base doesn't fit but I thought someone might have fabbed something up. I was right!! I copied part of out conversation. Btw, splines match.

"Yes the hard rubber old wheel has a rubber boss on bottom that adapts to the skinny steering column. It spaces the wheel too high to fit on the stub shaft of the new column. I cut off the rubber and ground down the metal internal core, leaving that small ring of the steel for max interface with the stub shaft. The round steel disk (I said aluminum before but I remember it is steel) was glued on with 5 minute epoxy with both parts mounted on the new column for perfect indexing. Bondo sticks permanently to the steel ring and hard rubber. Don't worry about delamination there. All the repairs on the wheel are done with Bondo. I have tried the expensive epoxy putty made for that purpose and it is no better than good old Bondo. Both eventually hair-line crack. As far as I know there is little difference in the basic design of GM columns form the 70s thru the early 90s. The horn button insulator needed to be extended a bit for the thicker '53 wheel hub bout works identically to the new one other than that."
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2018, 01:38 AM   #2
Matt_50

Re: Old wheel to newer column

More pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2018, 01:52 AM   #3
Matt_50

He said he did this 8 years ago and it has held up fine.

So... I figured I'd try it. My column is a little different but same basic steps. Worst case I use the 68 wheel or find another but I'd like to try and keep the original. A major difference I have had to do with mine is drill a hole for my horn tube off the canceling cam. The original wheel has a hole at 12 o'clock. This would put the cam in wrong line up and the signals wouldn't turn off in a turn. So I drilled a hole at 10 o'clock, like in the 68 wheel. My wheels metal center and the 68s metal center are the same thickness. So when I inserted the cam, it fits pretty good.

I will grind the back down a bit to get the same lip ring in his so that the plate doesn't interfere with cam and horn contact, while also keeping the thickness of the center.

I cut a round metal disk, it's ugly... but no one will see underside. I'll try to get it glued tomorrow. The test fit works though. Horn in right spot, cam cancels, and it sits with a tiny gap like in his finished pic.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Clay54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
More pics.
Matt_50, can you identify the column type shown in the yellow truck. Looks to me like a van column. Thanks, Clay
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
mr48chev

The yellow one is 69 or later car or 72 or later truck. I'm thinking the shift indicator was an add on.

I've always done it the other way with a late wheel on a stock column which is real ugly except for a 50 something Corvette wheel or maybe a pre 55 Chevy car wheel.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
Matt_50

Clay54 I messaged the guy earlier today and still no response. I'll let ya know when he gets back to me.

I ground down the wheels center some. To get the lip/ring like on the 70ish wheel. I did this so that when the canceling cam was behind it, only the very center touched. I ground down a bit more than the thickness of the round plate. I didnt just use a washer to space it because the two wheels are the same thickness without an added washer and the horn plunger is a perfect fit. I happened to have some 5 min epoxy left and glued it on. Between the epoxy and future bondo... it shouldn't move. He said his hasn't separated in 8 years so I'm just copying him.

Couple pics, you can see how I copied the 70ish wheel.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Clay54

Quote:
Clay54 I messaged the guy earlier today and still no response. I'll let ya know when he gets back to me.

I ground down the wheels center some. To get the lip/ring like on the 70ish wheel. I did this so that when the canceling cam was behind it, only the very center touched. I ground down a bit more than the thickness of the round plate. I didnt just use a washer to space it because the two wheels are the same thickness without an added washer and the horn plunger is a perfect fit. I happened to have some 5 min epoxy left and glued it on. Between the epoxy and future bondo... it shouldn't move. He said his hasn't separated in 8 years so I'm just copying him.

Couple pics, you can see how I copied the 70ish wheel.
Thanks Matt_50, maybe the "guy" will get back to you real soon. I'm following along as I have access to a '54 wheel that I could mount, with your help, to the '69 non tilt chevy stationwagon column that is in my '54 truck.

And yes Mr48chevy, the yellow column does look like the '69 column I mentioned above. I also have the shift indicator that I never mounted as I could not find a pointer that I liked. The pointer in the yellow picture is the type I would like to have. Clay
Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
Matt_50

Clay54 do you have a hamb account? His name is willys36. Still havent heard from him again.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #9
Clay54

Quote:
Clay54 do you have a hamb account? His name is willys36. Still havent heard from him again.
Yes I do. Looked him and found he has what I would call a '53 crew cab with only 2 doors. Thought I might find a thread about it but no luck. Thanks for your help. Clay
Old 04-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
Matt_50

Finally getting back to the wheel. I started filing at the cracks. Should I go all the way to metal ring?
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #11
_Ogre

i like what he did with the top column & wheel
i've read articles on resizing a big stock wheel down to a more modern size wheel for power steering
yes, V groove any cracks down to the steel, the articles use jb weld epoxy both time

if you want to resize the wheel cut it off the spokes and weld it back on the size you want/need
then reshape everything with jb weld or the epoxy you're using

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
Matt_50

I like the bigger wheel, part of why I wanted it.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #13
Root2812

I'm interested in hearing more about this 68 tilt column you used. I want tilt and integrated turn signal lever with no key in the column in my 50. I was thinking my only option would be a big bucks Ididit or something. Please share some details.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:17 AM   #14
Matt_50

I put the column sorta in place to see if I needed to move the brake pedal over, and I also fitted the little cover plate on firewall under column.

Hard to see but there is enough room to fit my hand between column and valve cover. There's also some room to play with to install linkage. The 68 column is pretty plain looking, wires are covered nicely, so it's like the factory column. No need to make a cover. I used a strap to hold it up...couldn't find the bolts and was in a hurry... but you might be able to see the 50s steering column hold down clamp piece. Same OD as 50 column. When I find some bolts and figure out the height of the wheel, I'll post better pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #15
1project2many

Quote:
And yes Mr48chevy, the yellow column does look like the '69 column I mentioned above. I also have the shift indicator that I never mounted as I could not find a pointer that I liked. The pointer in the yellow picture is the type I would like to have. Clay
I'm not Mr48chevy, but I'll take a stab at it.
Might that be an aftermarket part designed to look like a 55-57 shift indicator?
https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=13236

The shifter handle and lever definitely appear to be from an older vehicle than the column.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #16
Matt_50

When I bought this column it had that kind of indicator, but black to match. I've taken off a couple things for clean up.