The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
cerial

87 V10 removing passenger tank

I saved a 1987 v10 on Monday and drove it 50 miles to where it now resides to have a good amount of work done.
The thing drives and runs beautifully. Goes 70 no vibration, pulling, tight steering smoke or sounds. It says 99k on the dash and I kind of believe that after driving it. Running wise it is amazing. Better then it should be for a $1000 truck that was untouched and just allowed to be eaten by Michigan salt and used as a wood/plow truck. Someone had the idea to put a horrible camo job on the thing and I am just going to hit it with some black so that's covered while I find replacement body parts for well the entire body.

The body is a complete mess. The truck is not without issues. The thing is leaking out of the shiftier shaft seal on the 700r4 which is why the miles are low and the passenger gas tank strap broke with someone stuffing the tank into something rupturing it.

That tank now being full of mud/water/bugs I am guessing the entire thing is junk and a 16 gallons is more then enough fuel for what I plan on using this truck for.

The drivers tank looks like it is been replaced at some point with a strong pump and working sending unit so I just want to run on that.

What I would like to know is how to properly eliminate/remove that passenger tank and the switcher so that I do not cause any electrical or fuel line(feed/return/vent) issues in the process.

I imagine I can just bypass the switcher and hey could probably keep the switcher switch as a theft deturant while keeping my dash looking original. But I don't want to cause more problems by disconnecting one thing and causing a drain because of it.

What is the proper way to eliminate and remove that passenger tank?
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
rainamy

Re: 87 V10 removing passenger tank

I'd do exactly what you said.... remove it.

That side is basically the same.stuff to remove as a 70s single tank truck to start with - undo the sending unit ground, slide off the rubber gas lines, slide off the tank filler and vent hoses, then undo the 9 bolts (the rubber lines going to the sending unit usually have a clip bolting them to the frame) and lower the tank to the ground.

Being an 87 I'm not sure if BOTH tanks have a fuel pump inside... it's possible they might? If so, just bag up the electrical.connectors for it so they don't corrode and zip tie them to the frame in case they're ever wanted again.

After thats done, just get rubberized caps like are used on the unneeded tubes coming off some cars charcoal fuel canisters and cap the ends of the fuel lines where the rubber normally would slide on to go to the sending unit. No need to mess with removing anything further back in the system.and makes it easy to add a tank back should you ever choose to.
rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
hatzie

Re: 87 V10 removing passenger tank

Pull the tank.
Clip the weatherpak connector off the dead passenger sender. Install cavity plugs or cut the wires from the sender very close to the connector. Either way plug it back on to protect the NL2 harness connector. Bags and E-Tape will leak... New senders come with the connectors.
Plug the hoses to keep critters out. Caps or hose will protect the steel line ends. If you install a new tank and sender you'll be using new hose..
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 04-19-2018 at 09:11 AM.
hatzie is online now   Reply With Quote