The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
F85Cutlass

1 ton Rear Leaf Spring Replacement, hidden nut on front bolt ?

Hey everybody. I'm currently working on rear leaf spring replacement on my 89' V3500. Don't know. Going to loosen the nut on the front springs to frame bolt, and the nut which faces twards the inside of the frame is obstructed by a brace/bracket that is riveted to the frame. Wondering how many others have come across this and how they tackled it?

I'd like to avoid removing the rivets if possible, unfortunately the opening through which I can see the nut seems too small to even get an open ended wrench on though I have not yet tried.

Strangely enough, my factory shop manual does not mention this piece in the procedure.
Attached Images

F85Cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
4x4k30

Re: 1 ton Rear Leaf Spring Replacement, hidden nut on front bolt ?

if you have torch heat it up some and get your vise grip plylers and there is room enough to slip them in there on that nut and get you the biggest breaker you can find and try to break it loose or if you are lucky enough it will hold its self why you try loosening the bolt
Old 12-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

Any chance that nut is welded in place? If it isn't, keep in mind that whatever you come up with to get it out, you have to allow for a replacement to go back.

In any case, a couple more days of mild heating with lots of your favorite magic break loose juice is a good idea.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
truckin 79

I took a 8 leaf spring from a junk yard truck and I fought this for a hour. I was lucky because truck bed was off and it was still a you know what. I actually got bolts off but rubber bushing kept leaf spring stuck on. I finally just took cordless cut off wheel to brackets. I have a broken leaf on my truck and after fighting j-yard shackle I am just going to replace broken leaf and forget about replacing entire pack. If I had to replace entire leaf pack I would honestly pay someone, good luck
Old 12-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
F85Cutlass

Thanks guys, I'll be giving it hell tonight. Been juicing it up periodically for a few weeks now, and it'll get the torch tonight. Tried breaker bar on the bolt head, but didn't get it to budge yet. I'm sure the bolt is pretty stuck to the inner bushing by now, so that'll take some persuasion.

I was also considering drilling a hole in the bracket and opening it up with a stepped bit untill it was just big enough for my socket, wonder if anyone has thoughts on that. Not sure how much that reinforcement does, or how much it'd be impacted with a hole or a notch.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
F85Cutlass

Update, I can get an open ended wrench in there, just gotta get creative. Had to hook one end in, then pivot the wrench a bit and it's in. Still means it's gonna get interesting getting the new nut in place, and I'm not gonna be able to turn the nut, just use the wrench to hold it. Either way good news
Old 12-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
kwmech

I've got a set of box wrenches that will fit misc. tight places like that. But you may still have an issue with the bolt seizing up on the inside of the bushing. In the past I've had to take a sawzall and cut the bolt up both sides of the sleeve to remove the pack from the frame, or just cut the hell out of the frame hanger
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #8
Rubble

I did a lift on a 3/4 few years back & if I remember correctly either used a sawzall or zip wheel to get it out. Was replacing the whole pack, so the bolt left in Spring eye didn't matter. I've also just replaced several leaves instead of the pack to avoid this too. Good luck����

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
sweetk30

drop the wrench in the back side open or boxed .

hit the bolt with a GOOD impact gun or breaker bar .

if frozen heat is your friend .

done lots of them this way .

be thankfull its not a newer truck as them stupid designers put the bolt out threw now before the gas tank is installed . . . . have to drop the tank to remove the spring . . . unless you cut the bolt 3 times as you slide it out and then install a new one the correct way it should have been done .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
daddyjeep

If I remember correctly the wrench goes in from the top. Of course when I did mine the bed was off. My truck was pretty rusty ( came out of Buffalo, NY) and these bolts came out surprisingly well.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
F85Cutlass

Oooh, from the top, hadn't thought about that, I'll have to give that a better look. Bought a cheap 22mm wrench to bend if need be. So far it spears that the bolts are stuck in the bushings, I've on the rear where I could get the nut off the bolt punch out. It turns very slowly with just about all my might on a breaker bar with another 18" of pipe, and I'm moving the spring is taking a lot of that force. I'm probably going to have to cut the bolts between the bushing and hanger, but if I do not have a way to fit that nut with the remaining end of that bolt from its little pocket, I may be in trouble, so no cutting the front bolt without a plan.