The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
hotsam

What's the oddest , most weird thing you have found in a vehicle you purchased ??

Ok guys along with CG's post of "what's in your cab" I thought this one may be cool ?? If this already exists then please disregard and I apologize.. So what have you found ?? Of course please keep it family friendly....( I've found some pretty disturbing stuff !!)

I'll have to put some thought to it and will update as it comes to me... but here's the first one...

I was cleaning out an old 70s Jeep Cherokee chief that I bought, and deep down between the inner fender and rear quarter panel was a bleached out Turtle Shell ??? Another vehicle had a ring of many many different locksmith keys under the seat.... it had been seized.. wonder what those were for ???
I've even found a firearm or two..
I'll post a pic or two when I get back to the garage..
So what ya found ???
1955 2 door 210 post
hotsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: What's the oddest , most weird thing you have found in a vehicle you purchased ??

I pick up donation cars , scrap cars etc.. ive fond many things but the most interesting by far comes out of old police cars

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
100%Chevy

Re: What's the oddest , most weird thing you have found in a vehicle you purchased ??

I've hauled off junk vehicles for years.
I do it to support my car habit!
I've never found anything very memorable.
Lots of tools,some money,an empty wallet.
A possum nest under the hood of one.
A trunk full of old computors.
Tons of old clothes.
And,bee nests!I purely hate bee nests!
Miike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
RedRider

The 70 C-10 I'm currently working on has been in our family its whole life. I was cleaning out the front fender pocket and found a rusted ol' steak knife

Grandma and grandpa sure knew how to hide a murder weapon
Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
hotsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
I've hauled off junk vehicles for years.
I do it to support my car habit!
I've never found anything very memorable.
Lots of tools,some money,an empty wallet.
A possum nest under the hood of one.
A trunk full of old computors.
Tons of old clothes.
And,bee nests!I purely hate bee nests!
Miike.
X2 on the HATE for bees!!!! I'm highly allergic and they know it.. they love to chase me around
I'm interested in seeing what all shows up here !! I saw this one for myself with my own eyes. Friend of mine runs a repair shop. He was doing some work for a local police dept. servicing a vehicle that had been seized so they could use it for a dept. vehicle. Called me and said I had to come by and see this !! He had to remove some interior trim for some reason and found almost 15,000 cash in 100 dollar bills. Think it was a setup ?? He's an honest man and admitted it was very very hard to make that phone call !!! Setup or not, the reaction they had when they arrived seemed like sincere, un-rehearsed, appreciative response.. they just kept repeating how they couldn't believe it !!! Wonder how many these days would have made the call ?? Haha
1955 2 door 210 post
Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
hotsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
The 70 C-10 I'm currently working on has been in our family its whole life. I was cleaning out the front fender pocket and found a rusted ol' steak knife

Grandma and grandpa sure knew how to hide a murder weapon
A little wire brush treatment and a sharpening and it'll be good as new !!!
1955 2 door 210 post
Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
RedRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsam View Post
X2 on the HATE for bees!!!! I'm highly allergic and they know it.. they love to chase me around
Oh, I got that too (well, wasps):
Old 11-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Coley

...I don't think I've ever found anything too interesting or of great merit....bit of change, some old advertising stuff, a few minor tools....nothing to speak of.
However, the best thing I found in my '72....was my original factory Fremont, Ca. build sheet...but not in the seat springs....it was sitting in behind the cardboard piece in front of the gas tank...completely intact.
Damn I was ecstatic to find that!!

Coley
Attached Images

2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
hotsam

Coley, That build sheet was an awesome find !! Wish I could find the one on my 72.. no luck yet
1955 2 door 210 post
Old 11-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I wasn't quite as lucky as Coley, because I found my build sheet "where it belonged", meaning it's not as clean. But, if you're wondering what an original "S" hook looks like for a bench seat adjuster rod, this is one.

Other than that, nothing interesting.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Desert_Eagle02

I haven't found anything too crazy. When I replaced my dash in my 78 over the summer, I found a handful of old .22 bullets. The guy must have had a box tip over on the dash of something.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
Coley

Actually DesertEagle you just reminded me of something.
I bought my 2005 Silverado/Duramax out of Georgia (U.S GM dealership) and I had it shipped to the northwest and delivered to the local GM dealership in bellingham, WA.
As it turns out they found a couple of empty .45 shell casings rolling around all over the place under the hood on ledges and stuff....lol.
I laughed and we figured out that the previous owner must have had it out shooting...perhaps over the hood?....with the ejected shells rolling down the window and working their way into the engine compartment. I kept them as souvenirs...lol.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

My truck had 2 less spring leafs on one side than the other,, some one told me maybe it was oval track race truck.. ??
Old 11-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
shp4man

Many years ago in Texas, I was working on a vehicle with an A/C problem at work and had to open the trunk for something. Anyway, it was full of weed in bags. Thought I smelled something funny. Know what, I never said a word. Those Mexican cartels have automatic weapons.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #15
hotsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Actually DesertEagle you just reminded me of something.
I bought my 2005 Silverado/Duramax out of Georgia (U.S GM dealership) and I had it shipped to the northwest and delivered to the local GM dealership in bellingham, WA.
As it turns out they found a couple of empty .45 shell casings rolling around all over the place under the hood on ledges and stuff....lol.
I laughed and we figured out that the previous owner must have had it out shooting...perhaps over the hood?....with the ejected shells rolling down the window and working their way into the engine compartment. I kept them as souvenirs...lol.

Coley
I must be cursed with findings... This actually reminded me of something pretty recent I had forgot about. We bought my wife a brand new Subaru Crosstrek in fall of 2016. The second day we had it we took a picnic up on the mountain through some very tame well kept government gravel roads. On the way down I noticed a noise like a gravel was rolling around on a skid plate or something ?? I put the car on my lift and searched it all over. Nothing.. I opened the rear hatch and finally got down to the spare tire well. Pulled it out and there they were...2 marbles rolling around in there!! Must have been pinned under the spare until the bumps jarred them loose! I just had to laugh... I guess karma always gets you back for being a prankster ! Haha I can hear it now from the little punk in the detail shop at the dealer "hey guys watch this.. haha" I carried the marbles back to the salesman and told him to tell them nice try but I was still laughing. I had heard these similar stories all my life about mysterious findings and rattles in new vehicles
1955 2 door 210 post
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I never found anything unusual in a truck, but I found what you would expect to find in the '95 Suburban ex-K9 sheriff's dept unit I bought a few years ago. Between the seat back and bottom was powdered sugar from donuts.

My '72 K2500 had slim tipped cigar butts in all the stake pockets and a bunch, I mean all over, of match burns in the carpet. Kinda strange since the lighter still works to this day. Since I don't smoke, the ashtray has some choice bottle caps in it from my drive back home with it in '01 that I don't plan on removing. Not that I expect to ever sell it. And don't worry, the beer I drank at night once I found my spot at a truck stop each night. Man I miss trips like that!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-08-2017 at 11:50 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #17
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never found anything unusual in a truck, but I found what you would expect to find in the '95 Suburban ex-K9 sheriff's dept unit I bought a few years ago. Between the seat back and bottom was powdered sugar from donuts.

My /72 K2500 had slim tipped cigar butts in all the stake pockets and a bunch, I mean all over, of match burns in the carpet. Kinda strange since the lighter still works to this day. Since I don't smoke, the ashtray has some choice bottle caps in it from my drive back home with it in '01 that I don't plan on removing. Not that I expect to ever sell it. And don't worry, the beer I drank at night once I found my spot at a truck stop each night. Man I miss trips like that!
Tell me again. Where did you buy that truck?

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #18
Greenlee

I bought an 87’ Chevy that must of belonged to an adulterer. I found a package of condoms and a bra hidden underneath the carpet.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #19
atog

This was not a vehicle I purchased but it is about a memorable find that I will never forget. Years ago when I was working at the local gm dealership we would find all sorts of goodies in used cars and such. One of the most memorable things happened when getting ready to do an alignment on a customers car. The vehicle we were working on had the locking wire wheel covers which requires the use of a special wrench supplied to the customer. Since these had to be removed to install sensors on the wheels for alignment purposes, customers would usually leave wrench on the seat or give it to us when dropping off vehicle. This was not the case that morning. Normally these could be found in spare tire area or the glove box. A quick search in trunk are produced nothing. i had no clue that my whole outlook on the day was about to change in a positive way. Upon opening the glove box i located the wrench, but what I found on top of the wrench was like a wish come true. Being a young man in my late twenties I often thought about how things would look in a different light so to speak. The gentleman that owned the vehicle had a girlfriend that was drop dead gorgeous. Well it turned out she must've like getting her picture taken ALOT. There before me was pictures of her wearing nothing but a smile (just like the one on my face). Now as luck would have it at the end of the day in walks the owner of the vehicle, and guess who he had with him? Now this may sound rather amusing to all of you, but you were not in my shoes at the time. Now I have to explain to him and his now fully clothed girlfriend what all repairs were need on his vehicle. Trying to keep a straight face while doing that is not an easy thing to do!!! Especially when your fellow workers are behind them grinning and making obscene jestures ( yes I did show them my find of the day ) And yes I did inform let him know I put his locking wire wheel key back in the glovebox. TRUE STORY PRICELESS
atog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

What's the first thing you think of when someone says Polaroid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Tell me again. Where did you buy that truck?
Modesto, CA. I had it shipped to Indianapolis. At that time it cost about 1/2 as much as coming to the Mid-Atlantic. Plus I was busy, so flew out Friday of Memorial Day weekend and drove it back.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-09-2017, 12:03 AM   #21
atog

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What's the first thing you think of when someone says Polaroid?

Modesto, CA. I had it shipped to Indianapolis. At that time it cost about 1/2 as much as coming to the Mid-Atlantic. Plus I was busy, so flew out Friday of Memorial Day weekend and drove it back.
You know it t was something to behold
atog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #22
In The Ten Ring

I don't buy that many used cars but I used to work at a used car lot and we took in a lot of trades. One particular guy traded his vehicle and in it were all manner of loaded rounds. .22's, shotgun shells, etc. The lot detailing guy knew I was a gun nut and gave those to me.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #23
Keith Seymore

This was what was in my truck when I got it back from my father-in-law. He owned it 18 years.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #24
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Blood & Brain matter under the driver seat. Bought a 92 dodge shadow for a sales car, Had a funky smell..... long story short the last owner took his life with a 357 to the chin. Cleaned the carper and put a new seat in but the sales guys would not drive it. Made money on it when I sold it though

I would have thought with the 357 the bullet would have existed thru the roof, I forget what kind of ammo they said it was but was designed to not exit but rather bounce around inside.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Hard on to beat right there!

Tim