The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
Newtynewt

Single stage vs. Base Clear for Medium Blue

Would love to hear some owner opinion on single stage or base clear for a 72 k5 to be painted medium blue. Durability, appearance etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Newtynewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
69Tom

Re: Single stage vs. Base Clear for Medium Blue

While not specifically for a medium blue K5, I have painted a couple of my cars in single stage. I actually like the single stage for its appearance, as it looks more like the original paint was from the factory. I'd say in general, however, your base/clear system is probably more durable if you keep it properly cared for. At least that's the general thought out there.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
cleszkie

I had my Blazer painted single stage many years ago, and it has held up very well to some pretty good abuse. The benefit of the single stage is that if it does get scratched, marked up, or oxidized, it can be buffed out if not too deep. Out here in SoCal, I see a lot of clear coat paint jobs get destroyed by the sun when the clear coat oxidizes and begins to peel. Can't buff that out. Basically, either way will last if you take care of it, and even better if you keep it garaged or covered. But I firmly believe the single stage is a more robust paint that easier to work with and maintain.

BTW - my Blazer is now covered in primer where it has been repaired. However, the ochre single stage that is left will still buff out very nicely.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
hemi43

FWIW, I've been painting for over 30 years. Single stage is fine for solid colors only, but it's still better if it was cleared. Anything metallic must be cleared because the metallic particles are made from aluminum and you need that thick layer of clear to protect them from UV. Single stage paint is basically clear with the pigment mixed into it, and as it cures, some of the clear floats to the surface sealing in the pigment. The problem is that layer of clear is very thin and leaves very little protection from the elements, and that's why single stage paint will always fade much faster than base/clear.
If you do decide to go base/clear, don't buy cheap clear, and never use universal hardeners because most of the UV retarders are in the hardener.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 PM   #5
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Just had my blazer painted medium blue and went with single stage. In twenty years I'd rather have a truck with faded paint than peeling clear coat.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 PM   #6
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Here's a before/after pic of the buff job on my k1500 single stage OEM paint. It's dark olive poly and has little hints of gold in the paint that shine in sunlight. The freshly buffed paint is on the driver side
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 03-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Just had my blazer painted medium blue and went with single stage. In twenty years I'd rather have a truck with faded paint than peeling clear coat.
Clear wont peel if it's applied properly and you don't use crap materials. The only reason clear peeled back in the 80s and 90s is because paint manufacturers were forced to come out with low VOC products. It first happened in the 80s when base clear was just glorified lacquer base with a clear coat. It happened again in the 90's when OEM started using water borne products.
Today, things are much different ! The only thing single stage is good for is painting trailers. If you had used proper materials and took care of the paint, you would have a shiny truck with no clear peeling . You will not find a quality bodyshop that paints vehicles with single stage (for a good reason). The only reason it's still available is for backyarders.
The OP asked for advice, and I gave mine. I don't care what someone decides to use, but the best thing I can say is don't spray a single stage metallic and then try to cut and buff it. The edges of the metal flakes will be exposed to the elements and the paint will look like crap in a few months.

Last edited by hemi43; 03-01-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #8
68panelman

Single stage all the way for me.
Like said above, once it starts peeling, it's over Jonny. You can only maintain it so much before thinning it out. My '01 3500 will get the single stage treatment when it's due, all the flat areas are peeling off bad. The sun is strong where I live and is terrible on modern paints, don't care how advanced they think they are.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Clear wont peel if it's applied properly and you don't use crap materials. The only reason clear peeled back in the 80s and 90s is because paint manufacturers were forced to come out with low VOC products. It first happened in the 80s when base clear was just glorified lacquer base with a clear coat. It happened again in the 90's when OEM started using water borne products.
Today, things are much different ! The only thing single stage is good for is painting trailers. If you had used proper materials and took care of the paint, you would have a shiny truck with no clear peeling . You will not find a quality bodyshop that paints vehicles with single stage (for a good reason). The only reason it's still available is for backyarders.
The OP asked for advice, and I gave mine. I don't care what someone decides to use, but the best thing I can say is don't spray a single stage metallic and then try to cut and buff it. The edges of the metal flakes will be exposed to the elements and the paint will look like crap in a few months.
I'm not arguing with your painting knowledge. However I do believe a lot depends on where you live with regards to the sun intensity. I would imagine that clear coating lasts much better up in Canada than it does down where I am at in southern California, regardless of the paint/clearcoat chemistry improvements made over the years. I see cars that are only 2 or 3 years old down here with oxidized and delaminating factory clear coats. It happens.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I am still a single stage urethane guy. Been spraying since the late 80's but I have never been into the high end jobs that required cut & buffing. Mainly DD, work vehicles, equipment etc. I am sure there have been major advances in paints since that time but the way it was explained to me back then was the reason for most peeling of the clear coats were that the paint is soft and way more flexible than the clear which was rock hard and way less flexible, so in the climates that rock both ends of the hot cold scales the clear would basically rip free of the paint due to the differences in the expansion and contraction rates. I have several work truck here I have sprayed with Nason urethane single stage that are hitting on 15 plus years old that have not been maintained as well as they should, but I could break the buffer out and have them shiny new again. I think it leads more to personal preference and location.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #11
leddzepp

Quote:
Looks great Pete! I’m going with medium blue single stage on my K20 as well. I agree, faded paint is better than peeing clear coat. Out here it doesn’t matter what year or how old or new the vehicle is, clear peels off right and left after a while.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #12
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Scott thank you. The medium blue has really grown on me and I can't wait to see it in the sun. Let me know if I can help with any parts for your K20 build. Pete

Old 03-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
Tomo

Anyone have a single stage medium olive green paint job and care to post photos?
Tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Anyone have a single stage medium olive green paint job and care to post photos?
About the only way to spray that color and have it look decent is with lacquer, which wont be a cost effective paint job these days. Single stage metallics, especially lighter colors are real hard to spray and keep the metallic from mottleing up and looking really bad. Just go with base/clear for metallic colors.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
It looks the same as base clear, only half the shine,half the life, and double the orange peel . LOL
Old 03-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #16
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

If one spends the money and has their vehicle painted, I would think they would keep the vehicle out of the elements the best they can.

I have painted several vehicles with Base/clear with great results, even after years of application...and yes it is very hot here..... single stage, what is that ? LOL!!!!!!!
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #17
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Anyone know what commercial aircraft are painted with as regards SS or BC?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #18
hemi43

Quote:
Anyone know what commercial aircraft are painted with as regards SS or BC?
Aircraft are painted with Polyurethane which is single stage. Not sure if they still use Imron or not, but that was one durable paint that hid well. It wasn't a nice looking paint because it had no depth or real high gloss to it, which is why it wasn't used on cars. There was an Imron base clear system, but wasn't used on commercial aircraft because of the weight penalty.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #19
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

That's what I thought, thanks. The Imron on my K20 looks good - I need to see it side by side with other paint types.