The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Headers on the 2011 GMC

I just put a set of Kooks Long tube headers with their catted 'Y' tube on the GMC SWB. There is a serious difference in performance and sound. I think that this was definitely a good install. The factory system is so inefficient in comparison. I would have taken pics, but was running out of time.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
LEEVON

Re: Headers on the 2011 GMC

I hear Kooks are high quality. How much were they? How was the install and did you get a tune after?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Headers on the 2011 GMC

The KOOKs did cost more than some other brands, but I went through a dealer off of another website and they were running a sale on them, and kicked in Jet Hot coating on them. The cost of the set was around $1100.00 for everything, (including the catted "Y" pipe, gaskets, and delivery ) The install is supposed to take 3 to 4 hours, but I took a little longer, due to one of the O2 sensors not wanting to play well and the tight quarters for a couple of the nuts/bolts on the factory exhaust. Once everything was off, the install was smooth and easy. Just make sure that your headers and the "Y" pipe components are positioned away from any frame contact points---this will send a spark knock retard signal back to the computer.

I already had a tune and it was real close to what we needed with the headers and now the truck runs quite well.