The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
timcrow00

turning traction control and stabilitrak off

i got a '11 scsb 4.8l with 3.42 gears. ive tried holding the button till it says they are both turned off but it still wont spin the tires on pavement but with 300hp in as small of truck as i have it shouldnt be a problem. If im on a dirt road i can spin the tires but if i do it too much or fishtale at all it shuts down and wont let me have any fun. if i buy a tune will it make this truck any more fun to drive?
timcrow00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Doug_J

Re: turning traction control and stabilitrak off

well you do have a 4.8 an I didnt think they were rated at 300 hp or maybe they are but its at the flywheel an by the time it gets to the tires its more like 265 guessing. But yes you can wake it up a lot with a programmer but I'd send your computer out an do like a blackbear tune or take it somewhere to have them tune it better option to me because your gonna get way more out of it that way then with a handheld one.
Doug_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
timcrow00

the 4.8 is rated at 302hp and 305tq. and with 3.42 gears and it wont even chirp the tires on pavement. does the computer take the timing out at low rpms? what im getting at is a tune will prolly give like 20 more hp but if the tune helps do away with something that is holding the power back then it would really increase power
Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Doug_J

I think theirs people getting way more than 20hp out of a tune but I could be wrong. A good place to check out for more info on that tuning is gmfullsize.com theirs a lot of them on their that have done it but they’re not very helpful like on here. I’m not very familiar with the 4.8 but I’d say it likes the higher rpms more than off the line, I drove a 4.8 4wd then drove my truck I have now with the 5.3 4wd and that 4.8 didn’t have anything on the 5.3 it was a dog but like i said they was both ccsb 4wds. Now in a rcsb it’s lighter so that 4.8 may move it along pretty good but I just don’t think it’s going to be a monster or anything.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
LEEVON

It's not the stabilitrak and traction control, it's the torque management programmed in the computer. It retards the timing so you don't tear up the drivetrain. Get a tune (not a handheld) and tear up all the tires you wish.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
timcrow00

That's what I was lookin for. I knew there had to be holding it back. Looks like I tune is in my future!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

There is a guy in Topeka that lives and breathes the Gen III and Gen Iv motors. He did a tune on my 2011 SCSB 5.3 and it was worth the effort. I believe that he could help you out if you desire it. He does travel around some and gets down to Wichita quite often. Send him an E-mail at AkNovaMan@Gmail.com. His name is Anthony and is pretty friendly. This would be a tune and not a programmer. He can also adjust the shift points on that automatic, to get rid of the flareout effect between gears. His tunes are around $175.00 and if you need more assistance he will help without a lot of bull.

You didn't say what size tires you are running with that 4.8. My truck came with some pretty tall tires for it's factory rims.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
timcrow00

sounds like a good deal. better than driving to texas for a blackbear tune. and cheaper!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have had this guy tune my 09 Pontiac G8 and when I got the GMC truck, he did an upgrade to it also. He does a lot of GM computer stuff (gas or diesel) and will build you a wiring harness for a computer for a lot less than the market has them. He is big into 6.0 liter engines and installing them into older vehicles. Talk to him and see if you would be interested in what he does. He works out at Forbes field during the week, but has every other Friday off and his weekends are usually available.

However, if I were going to go to Texas, I think I would go down to Patrick G's place and let them have their way with the computer. http://guerragroup.com/LSXDYNO.htm
Old 07-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Doug_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
There is a guy in Topeka that lives and breathes the Gen III and Gen Iv motors. He did a tune on my 2011 SCSB 5.3 and it was worth the effort. I believe that he could help you out if you desire it. He does travel around some and gets down to Wichita quite often. Send him an E-mail at AkNovaMan@Gmail.com. His name is Anthony and is pretty friendly. This would be a tune and not a programmer. He can also adjust the shift points on that automatic, to get rid of the flareout effect between gears. His tunes are around $175.00 and if you need more assistance he will help without a lot of bull.

You didn't say what size tires you are running with that 4.8. My truck came with some pretty tall tires for it's factory rims.
So what kinda numbers did you see after your tune? What did it do to your MPG?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
timcrow00

yeah what kind of gas mileage you gettin with that 5.3 after the tune
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

It did not affect my mileage, I was getting 19 MPG with mixed driving, already. I see the fuel economy computer kick up numbers like 23 and 24 MPG at times, but I have not put the truck on the highway for a really long trip to see if it performs that way. I have seen 21+ on just highway driving from my home to Wichita, but I can't keep the foot out of the pedal. As for numbers, I am not running this at the track, so I don't have numbers. The shift is very crisp and the acceleration is great. The top speed cut off is NO LONGER at 98 MPH---we put a one in front of the 98 and there is no problem passing the old fuel cut off speed. This hot summer heat is not helping a lot either.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
Doug_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
It did not affect my mileage, I was getting 19 MPG with mixed driving, already. I see the fuel economy computer kick up numbers like 23 and 24 MPG at times, but I have not put the truck on the highway for a really long trip to see if it performs that way. I have seen 21+ on just highway driving from my home to Wichita, but I can't keep the foot out of the pedal. As for numbers, I am not running this at the track, so I don't have numbers. The shift is very crisp and the acceleration is great. The top speed cut off is NO LONGER at 98 MPH---we put a one in front of the 98 and there is no problem passing the old fuel cut off speed. This hot summer heat is not helping a lot either.
Well for numbers I really was asking what you thought you had on HP and TQ.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
Doug_J

So what do you think of the 4.8 in that rcsb? does it move along pretty good or wish you woulda got that 5.3?