The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Natcox017

Clutch and flywheel question

Hey guys found a 73 1500 with a 350 in it and auto. I also have a 69 c30 no motor just a 4 speed. I know I need a 168 tooth flywheel. I just don't know what size clutch I need. I'd prefer a bigger one since it's going in a one ton. Any way to tell a difference when ordering?
Natcox017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Clutch and flywheel question

The 350 s that I've seen all had 12 inch clutches standard.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
7 Devils

Should be able to take your trans model and call a trans supply house and get your options based on year and chassis along with trans model. Don't quote me but I think some of the 1 tons could be had with a severe duty 14 inch. I could be wrong on that though.

Dan
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
kipps

Keep in mind that a 12" clutch actually measures 11-7/8". This had me confused quite a bit when I was replacing my clutch.

The 12" clutch goes on the 168 tooth flywheel. There's no extra space on the flywheel with that clutch. I can't imagine a 14" clutch fitting there.

The summit racing catalog lists 3 or 4 manufacturers of clutches for sbc/bbc engines. Each manufacturer lists 3 different strengths of clutch kits. Frequently, a stock replacement clutch, a higher clamp force clutch, and a double disc clutch. I got a stock replacement Ram clutch for my 350. It worked excellent.

Pay attention to the spline count of your input shaft when ordering.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #5
7 Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Keep in mind that a 12" clutch actually measures 11-7/8". This had me confused quite a bit when I was replacing my clutch.

The 12" clutch goes on the 168 tooth flywheel. There's no extra space on the flywheel with that clutch. I can't imagine a 14" clutch fitting there.

The summit racing catalog lists 3 or 4 manufacturers of clutches for sbc/bbc engines. Each manufacturer lists 3 different strengths of clutch kits. Frequently, a stock replacement clutch, a higher clamp force clutch, and a double disc clutch. I got a stock replacement Ram clutch for my 350. It worked excellent.

Pay attention to the spline count of your input shaft when ordering.
Yeah I was for some reason thinking flywheel diameter rather than disc. I was a bit off. After some research I found that the largest factory unit was I need 12". The severe duty utch added ceramic buttons. Sorry for the bad or info but like I said done quote me on that one.

Dan
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote