The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
nxtruck

'65 C-10 factory auto column questions

Guys,
I'm in the middle of changing the turnsignal switch in my son's '65 and have a few questions. 1st of all, before I started, the strg. wheel had a little up and down play in it, coming from the column. It will move up and down probably a half to 3/4 of an inch or so. I thought that there was probably a bearing near the wheel that was bad. Well, the only bearing I see is the one in the t.s. switch, and it didn't appear to be bad. With the wheel off, I can wiggle the strg. shaft up and down and see no way of tightening this up. What am I missing here? Is there supposed to be another bearing somewhere near the strg. wheel?
2nd, has anyone used any of the aftermarket t.s. switches and not had good luck with them fitting correctly? It appears that, in oder to be able to use this switch that I have, I'm going to have to drill a couple new holes inside the shroud-part of the column that the switch sits inside of. I compared the original switch to the new switch and they definitely are different in the location of the mounting holes. Has anyone seen this with these new switches before?
Thanks in advance!
Chris
1965 Chevy C10 LWB, 355 sbc, TH350, daily driver
nxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
nxtruck

Re: '65 C-10 factory auto column questions

OK, upon further investigation, I think I see the issue with the wheel movement. The inner column tube is solid, but the shroud that the turnsignal switch screws to is loose when it's twisted in place on the tube. If this shroud were solid when in place, there'd be no up and down play in the steering shaft. I'm not sure if there's something missing in this column or what the deal is. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate hearing them.
Thanks in advance!
1965 Chevy C10 LWB, 355 sbc, TH350, daily driver
nxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote