The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #26
vtblazer

Re: Opinions needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yup,I`m askin`for it now.

I`ll be putting a 6" lift on my`72 GMC K2500 as soon as I order brake lines and cables.I have a set of 12.50/35s and a set of 12.50/37s.I really want to run the 37s with my white steel 9.75s and hub caps.The truck has TH350 and 3.54 rears.the plan is to swap in either a 4.0 3/4 set or 1 ton set I have (prolly the 1t).I really don`t want to get into the axle swap at the moment.I want to go over everything,rebuild,and do rear discs on the No-Slip HO52 before installing.I don`t want the truck down very long in good weather and will do the axles/swap this winter.
That leads me to the question I want opinions on...How do you all think it will run with 35s or 37s?i know it will need lower gears to run best.But,do you think I can get by with road driving for the rest of the good weather?I love the power now and I know I`ll lose that.it squeels the 12.50/33s with posi hitting 2nd.I know I`ll lose that even with 4.10s.But,I like this tire size with 4.10s.That`s low enough for me.My last one had a 4spd,so it`s been awhile and I`d like to hear what you guys think.i`d wait or winter but the 33s are aged and keeping me from driving much now.
I realize the 37s will be tight with the 6" springs.I won`t be tearing it up off road (as far as articulation goes) and i`ll most likely use zero rates.i could run the 37s on the 8.25s on it now for better clearance.But,I think the sSRs will look awesome on a 1t set-up with a stockish look.I could wait for a set of 35" SSRs.But...I`M LOSING MY PATIENCE!!!

Glad to hear you still have the 37's Tim.

I'd run em with the 6" lift, look at it like this.

Folks run 35's with a four inch lift all the time and will swear it's the perfect set up, so then why couldn't you run 37's with a six inch lift?
It'd be the same lift/clearance detail.

Would it be perfect? No, same as 35's & a 4" really isn't...but does it work? SURE!

As for the gearing, 4:10's w/35's are great but IMO, growing another 2"s larger isn't going to kill ya.
When I went from 39.5's to 42's, the difference was nominal.

Will 37's on a set of stock steelies look good? HELL YES.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #27
vtblazer

Shackle flip with 2.5" springs & 37's for comparison sake to see what your going to end up with for clearance or close to it anyway.
Attached Images

vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
I'll bring my super BFH.
How about your hot wrench,too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Glad to hear you still have the 37's Tim.

I'd run em with the 6" lift, look at it like this.

Folks run 35's with a four inch lift all the time and will swear it's the perfect set up, so then why couldn't you run 37's with a six inch lift?
It'd be the same lift/clearance detail.

Would it be perfect? No, same as 35's & a 4" really isn't...but does it work? SURE!

As for the gearing, 4:10's w/35's are great but IMO, growing another 2"s larger isn't going to kill ya.
When I went from 39.5's to 42's, the difference was nominal.

Will 37's on a set of stock steelies look good? HELL YES.
This truck will be my dream work truck.I found a low profile utility bed,if it hasn`t sold yet,a couple weeks ago.It won`t see any extreme twistin`.Not exactly a mall cruiser.But,pretty much a 4wd for when you need it.I still will explore to it`s best ability.Just want some practicle (not that wheelin`isn`t practicle).I was going to put these on my Highlander before I sold it.I guess 3.54s aren`t that far off from 3.73s.i`m thinking I can put the HO52 in when lifting and have the 4.10s and the Dana 60 can follow shortly.If I sell the 3.54s I should be able to use the money to go over that axle.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:48 AM   #29
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
What to do , what to do, OOooo my.
I have a ho52 with 4:56 if need be....

Now we're talkin'! Putting a no-slip in an H052 4.56 3rd would be fantastic. Worth also changing the front D60 to 4.56s. I didn't play it up before because I thought finding one would be a hassle. A local one is potentially available, at that.

The 4.56s would make starting in an SM465's 2nd gear with 35s feel close to 285/75R16s. The 37s would feel like 35s. Great ratio for a future NV4500 conversion since the common 93up Chevy versions don't have as deep of a first gear (5.61) as the SM465 (6.55), yet would be better at standing stops in 1st than SM465s in 2nd. Syncho'd 1st, too. Not to mention an OD 5th that would work out well with 4.56s.

As I implied above, 4.56s would be the best you can do for any auto in front of an H052 except that 4.56s would produce higher highway rpms behind 3-speed autos which 35s or 37s would help mitigate. The challenge is 1st and 2nd with 37s, not 3rd.

Interesting dilemma!

BTW, a "work" truck has no business running 37s.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Say what?

Those trucks had 4.57s.One was a 4spd and one was an automatic.

I felt 4.10s (w/no-Spin) were perfect with 35s in this truck and that`s what I want to duplicate.It was a 4spd.

The old Dodge ran 37s with 4.10s & 4spd and ran good that way.
Going to 35s with 4.10s brings you to right about 3.73s and it brings 4.56s to about 4.10s.I agree 37s are soft sided for loads.I used to run Armstrongs that were bias with a tougher casing than off road tires these days.This GMC will be a pleasure work truck.No ladder racks and I`ll work out of it when I eel like it.Basically,I`m going to restore it as a work truck.It`s just my style.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-22-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #31
justcuz

It sounds like you are fond of the way it runs with the combo it has. If so you may want to do this. Find a set of one ton 3 leaf factory springs (usualy good for a 2" lift) put them on the truck and have your rear springs rearched at a spring ship. Run the 235/85's for the winter while you figure out the ratio and tires/lift you want and go with that as your plan for the spring.

To me the 4.10's with 35's on the blue and white truck would be my target.

If it was me I would go with 4.10's, some H2 take off wheels and tires with Chevy center caps (fronts cut out for the hubs) and a 4" lift. Maybe a disc brake conversion for the rear, especially if you are using the HO52/72 rear axle, No-Spin rear and track lock front and maybe cross steer. Other than that I would just drive it and enjoy it.

Build your truck for what you want to use it for...within your budget. When your budget grows, you can make improvements.

I run the 3 leaf one ton fronts on my 76 3/4 ton, because I still want to use it as a truck. I don't want to lift stuff another 4 to 6 inches to get it in the bed. My wheels and tires on this truck are 285/75x16's with Ford one ton wheels that are forged aluminum.

Last edited by justcuz; 08-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #32
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
...I agree 37s are soft sided for loads.I used to run Armstrongs that were bias with a tougher casing than off road tires these days.This GMC will be a pleasure work truck.No ladder racks and I`ll work out of it when I eel like it.Basically,I`m going to restore it as a work truck.It`s just my style.
Sounds promising.

Pneumatic beadlocks would mitigate any soft sidedness of 37s. So would using a 17 inch rim. E-rated would also help, perhaps at the expense of trail prowess (stiffness=a tendency to dig too much).
Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #33
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
... Find a set of one ton 3 leaf factory springs (usualy good for a 2" lift) put them on the truck and have your rear springs rearched at a spring ship. Run the 235/85's for the winter while you figure out the ratio and tires/lift you want and go with that as your plan for the spring...
Interesting suggestion. I run those now on one of my trucks. Stiff suckers!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

These are all great suggestions for raising a truck without tossing usable weight capacity out the window.I`ve used a local spring shop over the years as much as patronized 4wd shops.It depends on the intended use.
This truck will be my driver built to suit who I am.I like back roads but we all hit the hiway from time to time.I spend alot of my life either working on houses or trucks and motorcycles.I like having tools handy.I also love camping and being well equipped then,too.I like my trucks to be hansom and tough.It will go off road,but not too crazy.It will be worked out of,but only when I want to and it will be treated with care.It will tow,but not too much.
I really wanted the truck to be lifted 4" so I could run 255/85s or 33-35s for flotation.Since I`m not going to do the "built for fun" shortbed I`m looking to use the 6" springs and 37s on this`72 for a combination of the two.It will be beefier yet.The 37s are a novelty and 35s will be the mainstay.I`d like to come up with some tall skinnies in a simular height eventually.
I liked the way the blue & white truck ran and am shooting for that.I have a 4.10 HO52 w/No-Spin that I want to mount disc brakes on for this truck.I may go with the drums for now as long as they are operable as they are.They`re supposed to be.I haven`t even looked at the Dana 60.I foresee a minimum of caliper replacement and maybe rotors.I`d like to have a hi-steer crossover set-up ready to go.I have a new 2wd steering box.
I`ll definately keep you guys posted on the progress.I can`t jump into anything with both hands and feet these days.

Tim