The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

NV4500 Throw Out Bearing

I did search the forums and could not find a thread that is relevant. I'll try and get to the point but I will give some of the history behind the issue.

Back in December I started driving a '92 GMC K2500 with a NV4500. A couple months ago I started hearing a faint and intermittent metal on metal squeeling sound in the mornings when I was letting the truck warm up. I initially thought it was the belt idler pulley. As time went by the noise got a little louder and more frequent. I then determined that the noise was the throw out bearing which seemed to be lightly touching the pressure plate fingers, while the trans is in neutral. It seemed to be bouncing back and forth, hence the intermittent noise.But at this point, when pushing on the clutch pedal, the noise would stop and I could not feel any indication of a bad bearing thru the pedal. Then a couple days ago the TOB finally took a crap. So now that the bearing is definitely bad and much louder, I can hear that the TOB seems to be turning even when driving sometimes.

I do not have a lot of experience with these factory hydraulic clutches, but the TOB turning when the clutch is engaged, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I used to have a '90 with the NV3500, that drove for 3 years and did not have any issues with the TOB. My question is, is this normal or is there supposed to be a return spring somewhere that likely is missing in my truck? I am hoping to find a good solution to this issue before I tear into this to replace the TOB. Hopefully it has not damaged the pressure plate.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:56 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Unhappy Re: NV4500 Throw Out Bearing

I'm not sure on yours...mines a mechanical clutch..but we setup a buddies hyd clutch the other day and it gave instructions for shimming the throw out bearing by measuring from both directions to get the needed clearance..but your hyd may not be retracting the bearing back off the p-plate fingers enough to keep it from scrubbing..may need to check that as well
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 AM   #3
'63GENIII

Re: NV4500 Throw Out Bearing

Hey Captain. I had never seen a return spring with any of the stock clutch configurations that Ive run. Even on my current set up with the Adv Adapters BH, the entire deal is hydraulic. No return spring.

Is there a chance that either the master or slave is hanging up somehow?

It is kinda weird though that its making enough contact to spin it with the pedal out yet when you disengage the clutch, it was silent? I get what you're saying in that its "not a good idea" for the TOB to be spinning while the engine is running all the time. Sort of like riding the clutch would wreck a TOB.

I can't see how a return spring would hurt. Especially if it was on the outside of the BH where you could take it off if needed.

I do know that the "inspection plate" for that is virtually useless for any kind of "inspection".

Id also say that while you're getting into it, change out the magic elixir trans fluid for new stuff and add an extra quart through the shift tower for good measure.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:16 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Just be aware if your changing trans fluid the nv takes a special kind.. (aka expensive)
Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
B. W.

Hydraulic clutch systems are designed to run with the TOB in contact. I agree, not a great idea.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

BW..I've never heard that before..the one we setup the other day by the directiins doesn't touch
Old 05-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
B. W.

To my knowledge (lot of gaps there!) all domestic OEM hydraulic systems are constant contact, both the concentric (internal mount) & the external mount slaves. I'm sure there are probably some exceptions. The aftermarket (racing) slaves allow for adjustment. With that said, every time I think I know something I prove myself wrong!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #8
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Cap-en (said in my best interpretation of a drunken sailor). BW is dead on!
My 94 with NV4500 and hydraulic clutch is definitely constant contact, and is supposed to be. Like 63GenIII is saying,, there is no return spring,, just like disk brakes, they are designed to have a very small residual pressure keeping the TB in contact. OTHERWISE, you would have 'lash' like we had in the old mechanical linkage. That would be insane and a down right safety issue if you had to 'pump the clutch up' to get it to disengage at a stop light!

This page has a small section on the constant contact 'self centering release bearing; (what a tecnical bunch of BS for 'constant contact' bearing)
http://www.morris4x4center.com/knowl...tch-basics.htm

Oh and like mongo said, you MUST use the specific GM GL4 lube or you toast the carbon fiber syncro rings. About $120 a gallon and HARD to find. THIS is the only reliable source I've found for it. There is lots of chatter on the Mopar equivalent over at Pirate4x4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QIR1V2...=2K7QIL76TDLFX

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 05-15-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Interesting..I didn't know about the constant contact throwout bearings..my nv4500 is mech clutch and it doesn't ride on the p plate..has about 1/4" gap...as far as the oil goes I got mine from gm dealership....
Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #10
68c10airstream

I had some exposure to s-10's with throwout bearing noises usually followed with only partial clutch release (slight grind in reverse) and probably not your case, but a multifinger pressure plate as it ages it has a tendency to end up with one of the fingers sitting higher than the rest and the TOB was a dead ringer for a full clutch job. Basically a heads up to look over the pressure plate for all of the fingers being level. Good luck diving in!!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #11
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Cap-en (said in my best interpretation of a drunken sailor). BW is dead on!
My 94 with NV4500 and hydraulic clutch is definitely constant contact, and is supposed to be. Like 63GenIII is saying,, there is no return spring,, just like disk brakes, they are designed to have a very small residual pressure keeping the TB in contact. OTHERWISE, you would have 'lash' like we had in the old mechanical linkage. That would be insane and a down right safety issue if you had to 'pump the clutch up' to get it to disengage at a stop light!

This page has a small section on the constant contact 'self centering release bearing; (what a tecnical bunch of BS for 'constant contact' bearing)
http://www.morris4x4center.com/knowl...tch-basics.htm

Oh and like mongo said, you MUST use the specific GM GL4 lube or you toast the carbon fiber syncro rings. About $120 a gallon and HARD to find. THIS is the only reliable source I've found for it. There is lots of chatter on the Mopar equivalent over at Pirate4x4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QIR1V2...=2K7QIL76TDLFX
I didn't even think about having to "pump the clutch" if there was a lash or clearance there. Heck, pumping the brakes and the clutch at the same time would look like I was doing the Jitterbug while coming to a stop! Or had Fire Ants in my pants!

FWIW, and not trying to start any kind of "lube war thread", I couldn't find any of the Syntorque (I think that's what they called it) when I went through my 4500. I went to the Amsoil store and they had an oil which stated "For NV4500 transmissions". The guy swore up, down and sideways that it would be fine for the newly rebuilt transmission. After a little over 12,000 miles, I guess he was right. No issues so far, was easy to get and IIRC, it was just under 100$ to fill it and add the extra recommended quart. Just an option if you have a hard time locating it.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 PM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for the replies guys. Marv D and BW confirmed my suspicion, but that still seems like a bad idea to have the TOB turning all the time. 68c10airstream, yes I will be checking the pressure plate and disc. I am a little concerned that the clutch will need to be replaced as it is not really in the budget right now. The engine was replaced not too long ago (1000 miles according to the PO) and I would think that the clutch would have been replaced at that time.....it only makes sense to me. But if that was the case, why did the TOB go out so soon? As for the trans oil, I did replace that with the correct AC Delco synthetic trans oil back in December when I put the truck back on the road.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-10-4059
Old 05-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
Marv D

I wonder WHY THE HECK I never thought of searching slummit for the gl4 GM synthetic. I'm liking that $18 a quart MUCH better than the $31 I've been paying through Amazon. Because I WORK my trans so hard pulling a 10,000 pound race trailer I change the fluid every 25,000-30,000 miles (it's a lot cheaper than the rebuild to replace those syncro's) . It's coming due so THANKS for the head-slap and Summit link.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #14
Marv D

mongo,, I'm guessing here, but I would assume this is somethig that came about when they went to the hydraulic clutch vs the mechanical linkage. On my 4x4 the drive shaft between the transfer case and front diff (along with the exhaust) would make linkage a tough proposition. The hydraulic slave is on the passengers side of the bell housing. Typical GM engineers of the 90's trying to pack 10 pounds of $#!+ in a 5 pound bag.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:23 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yeah, $31 a quart is ridiculous......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I wonder WHY THE HECK I never thought of searching slummit for the gl4 GM synthetic. I'm liking that $18 a quart MUCH better than the $31 I've been paying through Amazon. Because I WORK my trans so hard pulling a 10,000 pound race trailer I change the fluid every 25,000-30,000 miles (it's a lot cheaper than the rebuild to replace those syncro's) . It's coming due so THANKS for the head-slap and Summit link.