The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
Alex V.

Say it ain't so: Wet plug on 454

Changed the plugs on my '85 454 the other night and they were all nice and consistent save for number 2 (right):

The lower electrode, insulator, and outer case look the same as all the others, but the upper strap had a damp, yellow-green residue on it. The engine has 125K on it with no other feedback to indicate it's burning water - clean oil and coolant, no noticable coolant loss, no steam out the exhaust, etc. Oil comsumption is a quart every 6-800 mi. but a large portion of that is valve seals and various leaks. Haven't done a compression test yet. How likely is it that, considering the position of #2's intake port in relation to the water passage, it's the intake gasket seeping and not a head gasket?

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Say it ain't so: Wet plug on 454

Lacking any other evidence, wouldn't worry too much. Wait until time to add the next quart of oil and pull the #2 plug and check. Could be that set of valve seals is leaking a bit more then the others. If you know someone with a cylinder inspection tool, take a look after it has sat overnight.

Probably a lot of folks on this forum that wished our plugs looked that nice.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Heck that don't look bad at all for an '85! Wait till the oil and crud bridge the gap and the entire plug is black.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Alex V.

Ha - that's the main reason I'm paying it any mind from such a small indicator, I'd like to keep it that way. Near as I recall, before the leaks got worse (valve seals have shown signs since I got it in '07) it would take 1,200-1,500 mi. to use a quart. I'll run the new plugs a little and check it again, then maybe do a compression check just for good measure - never done one.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Run Power Punch through that sucker....that stuff will seal anything. haha They call it a Zinc additive....but man...it does more than that. My GMC's engine would burn about 1/2 a quart every 2 weeks(daily driven...only about 5 miles a day so the engine never gets very warm)....with power punch it took over a month.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Run Power Punch through that sucker....that stuff will seal anything. haha They call it a Zinc additive....but man...it does more than that. My GMC's engine would burn about 1/2 a quart every 2 weeks(daily driven...only about 5 miles a day so the engine never gets very warm)....with power punch it took over a month.
Do not see any Zinc additive in that one. Unless I missed something or you have other info???

http://www.powerpunchinc.com/v/vspfi...S/SDS%20PA.pdf
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #7
Alex V.

To each their own - I've been using Schaeffer's 7000 (15w40>10w30 the last two changes) and I have peace of mind with their formulation of zinc and moly. I also don't think the engine needs any internal cleaning because of the regular diet of Schaeffer's. Trying to band-aid the deterioration of the original 32 year old seals and gaskets with additives isn't my plan for this engine. Not that some of them don't work, but I intend to do whatever I can to see this engine another 125K - I can do any work short of rebuild machining that's necessary so all that's needed for any repairs is time and parts money.

I'm towing a CJ7 to St. Louis (700 mi. round-trip) with the truck next week and just want to minimize any chance of hiccups during the trip.