The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Zook75

91 Jimmy window issues

So after almost a month I got my Jimmy today. happy with it so far and if it was not for football i'd be wrenching on it now..
Anyway first issue I want to address is the rear window. It clicks when you push the switch and the key, I pulled the safety switch and jumped it and same results. I pulled the cable off of the motor and it runs as should with the key and switch.
So I hooked up a drill to the cable and it will not move so something is suck some where. I don't want to twist the cable to hard.
Little history, in the pass 14 years the truck has only had 8,000 miles put on it so its been sitting quite a bit.
So what's the first place to look?

If there is a thread that covers this please direct me to it. I've looked with no luck.

Last edited by Zook75; 01-07-2018 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added more info.
Zook75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Zook75

Re: 91 Jimmy window issues

ok no one has any suggestions. How about this. once you take the cable off of the motor, what direction should it turn to make the window go down? counter clock wise or clock wise?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

If it's frozen up you might get away with penetrating oil and time but it might be better to pull it out for inspection.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Ski-me

I think there is a lock at the bottom when the window goes all the way down.....but I think it's just to prevent the rear tailgate from releasing if the window is partially up. So this probably isn't your problem...just fyi.

Using a drill is the easiest way. There might be a binding somewhere. I would cycle the cable with the drill "gently" a little clockwise and then counterclockwise. You should be able to determine which direction will move the window up or down. Don't force it too much though.

You can loosen the side channel bolts a little so that the glass and channel can move more freely while cycling up and down. Should be two on each side.

Another place to look at is the actuator arms. It does come pretty close to some rivets and might be binding on them possibly. You'll have to study it a little.

Might also see if there is some binding at the bottom of the glass in the two channels that the actuator arm slides in. Maybe those plastic wheels have broken or jamming something.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
Zook75

Thanks for the info guys. turns out it was rust in the drive cable itself. After going back and forth with the drill it broke about 4" into the casing. we pulled the other end of the cable off and the cable would not move at all and the window was still stuck. so 3 bolts later and the transmission or what ever it's called came off and the window came down. A small screw driver in the cable hole in the trans turns it easy but with it installed the window will not move. So a new cable is ordered and I'm going to check this one off as an easy fix that only cost me $50.

On another note, when I was in the back I see the rear seat belts are attached to the top. So what do you do to take the top off?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
grillzy

When you put that new cable in spray in liquid lube or something that will keep the cable free. As far as removing the top. You will be then a three seater. The way around it is find belts and buckles from a pre 1990
grillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 AM   #7
Zook75

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillzy View Post
As far as removing the top. You will be then a three seater. The way around it is find belts and buckles from a pre 1990
So you have to unbolt the belts from the floor? That's insane, I'll be looking for some lap belts then.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Zook75

new cable came in today. 5 mins later window going up and down like a pro.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #9
phillipm

I don't know what he's talking about it being a 3 seater.. That doesn't even make sense. Pop the top, you'll be fine. If you want belts in the back install some simple lap belts back there like the earlier trucks had.
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
Zook75

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm View Post
I don't know what he's talking about it being a 3 seater.. That doesn't even make sense. Pop the top, you'll be fine. If you want belts in the back install some simple lap belts back there like the earlier trucks had.
Think he meant legal seating belted in with out like you said adding a couple of lap belts. I just find it crazy that they would make it this way.

So now I'm in the market for some male end lap belts. who got some?
Old 01-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
Ski-me

Junk yard....and those bolts are hard to break!! That big star head bolt for the two sides.....

It's probably safer to have shoulder belts in the back, but unfortunately, it does make it more difficult to take the top off. But they only had 2 years left in this truck so they probably just slapped them in to be compliant with safety requirements that year.

Sometimes I wish I had the rear shoulder belts. My wife would let me take the kids with the top off until I had a rear rollbar installed.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #12
Irish1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zook75 View Post
Think he meant legal seating belted in with out like you said adding a couple of lap belts. I just find it crazy that they would make it this way.

So now I'm in the market for some male end lap belts. who got some?
I sold off my last NOS ones but you might get lucky finding used set.
Trouble is the drivers male would often get crushed under the seat. Cant see it when seat folds back down.
Correct color might be tough too. Cognac color 89-91 but only one yr for ('89) for the color belts you'd want.
81-88 Saddle would work without anybody noticing.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
Zook75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1941 View Post
I sold off my last NOS ones but you might get lucky finding used set.
Trouble is the drivers male would often get crushed under the seat. Cant see it when seat folds back down.
Correct color might be tough too. Cognac color 89-91 but only one yr for ('89) for the color belts you'd want.
81-88 Saddle would work without anybody noticing.
I'm not color picky. Most of the time they will be on the floor tucked between the seat and the wheel well.

I've read the owner's manual and no where does it say anything about the top. So I'm guessing in the last few years the really didn't intend for them to come off.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
Nomadicflyer

Hey, Zook~ Did you have any issues with the tailgate key switch? I've got a 90, new to me, and the switch on the front console works, but the key switch at the tailgate is jammed. Lubed it and tried to blow it out, no good.

I do need to change out the mechanicals, as well. The noise is horrible when the glass goes up and down, I'm betting it's all really old and dirty. It's an old fire service rig. Where did you get your parts?

Thanks,

Nomad