The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Ironhorse

6 Cylinder Valve Cover

Can someone with more knowledge than I have (which would be just about anyone, LOL) help identify what inline engine this valve cover fits? Have spent a fair amount of time looking and searching but not finding any pics with the twist lock oil cap centered as it is with the Chevrolet script logo stamping. Has four mount holes, two each side, no wire routing tabs. Was really nasty, dirty and oily but after a good scrub in a solvent bath, bead blast, prime and paint looks so much better. No dings or dents, nice flat mounting edges. Still had a cork valve cover seal on it when I got it. Will offer it up for sale to the correct parts forum when I find out what it fits. Am thinking possibly early 60's Chevrolet, no provision for PCV. Also would like some input for a value. Thanks
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
Ironworking

Re: 6 Cylinder Valve Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Can someone with more knowledge than I have (which would be just about anyone, LOL) help identify what inline engine this valve cover fits? Have spent a fair amount of time looking and searching but not finding any pics with the twist lock oil cap centered as it is with the Chevrolet script logo stamping. Has four mount holes, two each side, no wire routing tabs. Was really nasty, dirty and oily but after a good scrub in a solvent bath, bead blast, prime and paint looks so much better. No dings or dents, nice flat mounting edges. Still had a cork valve cover seal on it when I got it. Will offer it up for sale to the correct parts forum when I find out what it fits. Am thinking possibly early 60's Chevrolet, no provision for PCV. Also would like some input for a value. Thanks
This Valve Cover fits 216 ci, 235 ci, & 261 ci Straight 6. in the lat 50's is for sure.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworking View Post
This Valve Cover fits 216 ci, 235 ci, & 261 ci Straight 6. in the lat 50's is for sure.
Thanks for the reply, was kinda thinking from what little I do know that the 216 and 235 IL6s had a pair of center hold down bolts or studs with cap nuts? Any idea about a value after being blasted, primed and painted?
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 08-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
Ironworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Thanks for the reply, was kinda thinking from what little I do know that the 216 and 235 IL6s had a pair of center hold down bolts or studs with cap nuts? Any idea about a value after being blasted, primed and painted?
All i can offer is this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Che...YAAOSwJQxdSKuA

An i personally believe the value is in the range he hopes for his BIN. Although, i believe he is over shooting with his. His is just not that good of condition.

I am not authority though. Maybe you should wait for others to chime in.

Ironworking/Robert
Old 08-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #5
Bimus

I removed a 235 motor from a 54 Chevrolet pickup with the same valve cover and I was told the center vented cap was how 54's came new.
The 235 valve covers I have that have the non vented cap in the front all have 4 slits cut in the top of the cover .
Bimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimus View Post
I removed a 235 motor from a 54 Chevrolet pickup with the same valve cover and I was told the center vented cap was how 54's came new.
The 235 valve covers I have that have the non vented cap in the front all have 4 slits cut in the top of the cover .
Thanks for your reply also. Never have had much experience with 6 cylinder engines, a lot to learn about the many different engine sizes over the years.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks