The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Grumpus Monkus

73-87 window switch issue and fix

Don't know if this fix has already been posted, if not, I hope it helps others out. I am assuming the window switches are the same for these years, if not please provide correct info.

My problem was my driver side window switches quit working, initially it was an intermittent problem, and then completely stopped working. I just assumed the switch was bad and bought a new one at the auto parts store.

Long story short, it was the wrong switch. My window was stuck down and rain was on the way and I need to get it fixed.

Solution, I removed the window switch and tested the wires to ensure the motor worked. Using a jumper wire I was able to conform the motor worked and the window easily rolled up & down.

On the back of the switch there are 4 tabs holding the internal parts in place. Be forewarned the tabs can easily break off. I loosened two of them and was able to remove the internal contacts. The contacts were corroded with dirt and debris. Using sandpaper I cleaned the contacts off and tried the switch again. It worked intermittently, took the switch off and looked at it closer. There are thin tabs that sit on top of the contacts and had debris under there as well so I cleaned under those (one of the pictures I have the thin tab separated with my finger), I also looked at the contacts closer, the down contact for the driver side had a concaved area in it, and there was still debris in that area. I scraped it out with a jewelers screw driver and put a small tab of dielectric grease in that area.

I re-assembled the switch, and in the process broke off 2 of the aforementioned tabs. I was able to bend the remaining elevated portion down enough to secure the internals in place. I re-tested the switch again and the driver and passenger side window easily went up and down. I put the switches (window and door lock) back in the door panel, put that back on the door, and again re-tested the switches, everything worked, and called it good.

All the best.

1981 C20 350ci TH350 LWB Edelbrock Carb

Last edited by Grumpus Monkus; 04-17-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Pictures added
Grumpus Monkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: 73-87 window switch issue and fix

1977 was the first year for power windows and locks.

1977-80 switches were all stainless and the window motors were self grounding.

1981-up switches were plastic and motors were reverse polarity.

There are several difference in the harnesses beyond just the switch difference but as for the switch style, this is what I've found.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Grumpus Monkus

Re: 73-87 window switch issue and fix

Thanks for the info. The switch in my 81 is metal not plastic, that being said I am not the original owner so who knows what has been changed.

1981 C20 350ci TH350 LWB Edelbrock Carb
Grumpus Monkus is offline   Reply With Quote