The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
63C20

Need 62 alternator upgrade to IR alt diagram and wiring info

i have a 62 and all the diagrams online are 64 and up. none of them are the same as mine. i need to know how to wire mine for a internally regulated alternator.

also-- i have a white wire coming out of my ignition switch thats labeled as "GRD" ground, but, the only white wire coming out of the harness in that area is HOT....??

also-- in the same spot there is 2 green wires going into the harness, no idea what they connect to?
63C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
vince1

Re: Need 62 alternator upgrade to IR alt diagram and wiring info

I did see diagrams online but the links were too long to copy.
Got a generator?
What alternator are you planning on using? 10si, 12si, CS130?
Can you unplug the regulator?
Is the horn relay used as a junction block?

I disconnect the regulator and tape up unused wires. If using the 10 or 12 si I usually hook the old output wire to #2 and make a new heavier output wire to somehow get to the battery plus. I hook #1 up to the dash light which is usually brown and possibly connected to blue at the regulator.

Disregard this until you get better information because I am pretty new to this stuff.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
sweepleader

If the gen in your truck works now you should not have to go all the way to the ignition switch to convert. The '63's came with a divorced regulator alternator, the Chev shop manual for '63 shows that it is connected to the truck the same way that the gen is in '62.

Do you have an ammeter on the dash? It matters a lot regarding how you connect the output of the alternator if you want the ammeter to work. I think that is what vince1 is concerned about.

The large brown wire from the reg A terminal gets connected to all the wires from the reg B terminal and the alternator output. The dark blue wire to the reg F terminal gets disconnected/discarded. The small brown wire is the dash light, it depends on which alternator you are using.

The small brown wire from the regulator V terminal goes to the the dash light. You will need that for the alternator.

The rest of it depends on the alternator you are using. Do you know what it came out of? Do you have the connector for it?

A big alternator can overheat the stock wiring, don't get too crazy with the alternator output choice.

Last edited by sweepleader; 04-16-2017 at 08:23 PM.
sweepleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
sweepleader

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...62_3WD-068.jpg

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...62_3WD-069.jpg

These are the 62 car, they are the same as the truck for the gen circuts.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
63C20

The gen was already replaced with a alt, and regulator cut out, so i have wires hanging and thats it.
63C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
sweepleader

Vince1 and I have asked you what alternator you want to use. It sounds like vince1 is more familiar with the various models available. Without knowing which one you have, there is nothing more that can be explained about how to hook it up.

You need to know and tell which alternator you have. It would help to know what vehicle it came out of if you do not know the model number of this specific unit. Without this information, no one will be able to help you as there are several variations and the terminals on the alternator can be different.

You need to explain specifically what you have there, wire colors, etc. Anything that you see or know about the existing situation. Are you doing a restoration quality install with all the original wiring? Is this a work truck that you don't care all that much about what the job looks like?

You need send more information, a lot more, if we are to help you.

Please go back to the top of this thread and reread it. Answer all the questions that have been asked of you when you next post. I am certain that the information that you need will then be supplied.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
vince1

A lot of people use a Powermaster alternator to upgrade with. Places like Summit or Jeggs or Rockauto sell them. I've had luck finding good used items at the junkyard so would not consider buying new. Somebody's got to keep the economy going though.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:15 PM   #8
vince1

If you are still having trouble I suggest moving your question over to the electrical forum.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
The Rocknrod

This should explain it: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379
This should explain the Alternator: http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote