The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
Rokcrln

What fleet side tailgate latches are out their?

Looking for somthing other that chains. Also I would like a center handle for latches if they make such a thing. Any info would be great and pics are alway welcome!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:12 AM   #2
BIG CTY
Between the earth and the sky

Re: What fleet side tailgate latches are out their?

I have these pins in my tailgate, but I want chains as I have nothing to hold the gate up with when it's open.

1976 Dodge Tradesman B200
2002 Nissan Maxima 6 speed
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500
BIG CTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
Rokcrln

Yeh that would be a pain! Nice looking truck. What I am after is a clean looking out side with out any visable latches like the 67 and up. I wonder if I can gut out a 67+ fleet side and make it work in one of these. If not than maybe small bear claws with a center inside latch.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

What I have seen alot of is the use of GM seat belts....on the inside of the gate.

The catch/button part was mated to the bed, and the male part was welded to the gate. Lift the gate up, and it clicked right in. Works pretty good.

Then the scissor type hold back was used.

That reminds me, I went to a CarShow a while back in Nevada City, and this old guy had a SUPER clean blown 64...and he was so proud of his power tailgate that he had made, (using actuaters)...it was cool, but that stupid thing took a hour to open !!!

SlepySal used slide latchs on his truck that worked pretty well too.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
68MoneyPit

I don't know about the latches adn the handle but I have seen people use cables to hold the tailgate when it is open like what is on newer model pickups
68MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
nimrocker

I bought a pair of manual dead bolts for a for a regular house door. They are called barrel bolts, and you have to install them on the inside of the tailgate. Only problem is you will have to shade tree some kind of piece to hold the tailgate up when you open. I am not sure, but you might want to check a 67 hardware[hinged] to see if it works. oh, i bought galvinized barrel bolts, look much nicer. I will take some pics and post them.

john
nimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
SIR
SIR

...hope some of this helps,all easy to do ,questions,just ask....
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #8
brawley
Easy Does It

check out mar-k.com they have kits for this. Sir with the green truck could you tell me what you used? thanks
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
fchava

here's mine, just a later model setup extended to fit our tailgates. Latch is centered on the inside.

Last edited by fchava; 11-29-2007 at 10:50 PM.
fchava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
SIR
SIR

...the latches are from "brothers" and the cable came from "auto-zone",just lay the tailgate down flat measure from the existing bolt holes I think these where fo** but it does not matter then trim out the inside edge of the tailgate grind down and weld the seam closed grind to taste the pins come with easy instructions you just need a drill a die grinder and a small stack of round washers welded together to the inside of the bed,for the "latch to attach"..just takes time.OH the bolts are fine thread.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #11
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
What I have seen alot of is the use of GM seat belts....on the inside of the gate.

The catch/button part was mated to the bed, and the male part was welded to the gate. Lift the gate up, and it clicked right in. Works pretty good.

Then the scissor type hold back was used.

That reminds me, I went to a CarShow a while back in Nevada City, and this old guy had a SUPER clean blown 64...and he was so proud of his power tailgate that he had made, (using actuaters)...it was cool, but that stupid thing took a hour to open !!!

SlepySal used slide latchs on his truck that worked pretty well too.
Yeh I have udes the seat belt set up before but on this one I want a clean one hand set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchava View Post
here's mine, just a later model setup extended to fit our tailgates. Latch is centered on the inside.

This is just what I wanted to see! I know that ECE sells a relocator kit that puts the handle on the inside of 67-72's with out needing to skin the tailgate. This means it should fit in the upper boxed section of the tail gate. I might order one and see how I can make it work. I think I will also order two small bear claw latches. It would be nice to have an old truck were the tail gate goes "CLICK" and shuts.

Thanks for the motovation

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #12
fchava

As I said, mine is just a stock unit turned around.

Sort of rough, but works great
Old 11-30-2007, 02:00 AM   #13
sick69

Someone on here is using later model nissan latches and straps on a stepside. That might be something to look into aswell.

Didn't you use something like that on Lemondrop?

Frank
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #14
Rokcrln

Frank~ Lemond drop had a kit from Mar-K that was the sissor hold opens but used the spring loaded pins on each side. It worked well but took two hands and you could not just close the gate and walk away. Like I said on this truck I want that "CLICK" feeling.

fchava~ Very clean truck! Any links to your truck I can check out?
Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #15
sick69

Ok I remember now. What about wondering around a junkyard looking at different tailgates? Could look at all the options at once. Foriegn and domestic setups, I'm sure something will jump out at you as a good plan on what your looking for.

Btw,,, I'm headed to the jy this week end if you want me to look at those hinges, let me know.

Frank
Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Yeh that would be a pain! Nice looking truck. What I am after is a clean looking out side with out any visable latches like the 67 and up. I wonder if I can gut out a 67+ fleet side and make it work in one of these. If not than maybe small bear claws with a center inside latch.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Mar-K does offer the folding linkage to hold the tailgate in the open position, and also the spring loaded sliding latches. These can both be installed on the stock tailgate. Our latches can be latched in the open position so you can close the tailgate then release them to hold the tailgate closed, two hands not required. http://www.mar-k.com/installation_hints.html and scroll down to "hidden latch instructions" and "link assembly instructions"

We are developing a replacement tailgate for these trucks with a center handle and "bear claw" type latches. This will be similar our stepside tailgates with the latches and handle. We hope to have these available in 2-3 months. These will have that "click" that you desire.

Mar-Ktech
Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
slepysal

This is what I came up with cheep and easy
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=tailgate

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #18
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick69 View Post
Ok I remember now. What about wondering around a junkyard looking at different tailgates? Could look at all the options at once. Foriegn and domestic setups, I'm sure something will jump out at you as a good plan on what your looking for.

Btw,,, I'm headed to the jy this week end if you want me to look at those hinges, let me know.

Frank
Yes please see what you can find in the not too warn out section of the yard! Let me know what you find, I'll cover ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAR-Ktech View Post
Mar-K does offer the folding linkage to hold the tailgate in the open position, and also the spring loaded sliding latches. These can both be installed on the stock tailgate. Our latches can be latched in the open position so you can close the tailgate then release them to hold the tailgate closed, two hands not required. http://www.mar-k.com/installation_hints.html and scroll down to "hidden latch instructions" and "link assembly instructions"

We are developing a replacement tailgate for these trucks with a center handle and "bear claw" type latches. This will be similar our stepside tailgates with the latches and handle. We hope to have these available in 2-3 months. These will have that "click" that you desire.

Mar-Ktech
Yes I used your keeper and spring pin kit on LemonDrop (68 step side). And yes they can be loked in the open position so one hand can be used but you know theat is not what I am looking for I can tell that it is not your first choise ether since you are working on a gate like what I want! I think it is great that people like you (Mar-K) are spending good money to create these parts for everyone.

I was talking with Stan down at ECE today (he is one of my local guys I call while sitting in trafic) and I checked with him and they (you may also) offer a handle relocator kit for teh inside of teh 67-72 fleet side's. Thekit comes with the mounting plate, handle, bell crank and rods for like I said a 67-71. This should work out great for the 60-66's and with some Small Bear claws and alot of fab time it should work. If I was normal I would wait for thenew Mar-K gate but that just is not me. Plus if I just bought it how would I justify all my welders and tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
This is what I came up with cheep and easy
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=tailgate
Looks like it works well! Nice truck.

Kevin
LFD inc.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #19
fchava

Quote:
Frank~ Lemond drop had a kit from Mar-K that was the sissor hold opens but used the spring loaded pins on each side. It worked well but took two hands and you could not just close the gate and walk away. Like I said on this truck I want that "CLICK" feeling.

fchava~ Very clean truck! Any links to your truck I can check out?
Kevin
LFD Inc.
here's some pics
http://www.picturetrail.com/fregon
Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #20
sick69

Quote:
Yes please see what you can find in the not too warn out section of the yard! Let me know what you find, I'll cover ya!
Kevin
LFD inc.

I'll drop you a pm this weekend with what I picked up.

Frank
Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #21
Shorty Cox

I had the "no chains" look with the "seat belt buckle" latches on mine. Never liked to looks. I picked up a tailgate with chains a couple months ago, and went back to chains. Just call me "old school", but I like the looks of the chains.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote