The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #2301
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Since all my wiring worked perfectly, I began the task of bundling it up and securing it. First step was mounting my dimmer switch to the floor, then enclosing exposed wires in split tubing.

For securing the wires I found these awesome little self-mounting zip ties. They are like a conventional zip tie but with a snap-fit mount at the base that plugs into a 1/4" hole - no clamp, screw or bolt required.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2018, 02:53 AM   #2302
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
If it's that well adhered, it ain't goin' nowhere - shoot over it! Heck, if you bought a Boyd Coddington or Chip Foose car it would have that much bondo. Trying to be better than Foose would tire anyone out, ha ha!
Oh I ain't trying to be better, OH HELL NO, I don't have a thing about Bondo. Crap, that bondo if even sorta done properly will out last all of us!

My big thing is the rust, I am going to spend some time with it and see. The front panel, pretty sure I am going to by a new one. Then I have to see about that tail gate, I did it nice 35 years ago but it has cracked some, we will see.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:43 AM   #2303
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
But, but, but you can't look at your beautiful truck every day when it's all covered up!
...but if you see them every day with their clothes off you start to take them for granted... NOT!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #2304
MARTINSR

I got the rest of the parking brake parts sandblasted, along with all four lower fender braces and will get them primed over the next few days.

I can't believe all the sand I wasted up until a few weeks ago when I started re-using it. I do all the blasting over a concrete area behind the garage, use something to block it, in this case an inner fender. I sweep it up, filter it through a screen clamped to the bucket with vice grips and wham, I am using it over and over and over!

Brian

Old 11-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #2305
yossarian19

Today is still young but yesterday, hauled ~1,000 lbs of gravel up to the retaining wall I'm back filling. It creaks and pops a little under the load but goes, stops and steers just fine.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 PM   #2306
MiraclePieCo

At the muffler shop today, I got a complete exhaust system installed but I'm not happy with it. They installed the pipes much too high, running them too close to fuel and brake lines, wiring and the floors. Looks like I'm going to have to have a confrontation with them tomorrow. On the bright side, it sounds killer! But now I can hear all the other rattles!

Then when I got home my door bumpers were waiting in the mail. $3.99 from Jegs Ebay store with free shipping - what a deal! It took a few minutes to install them, cause I had to remove my striker plates, then reinstall and readjust.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 11-14-2018 at 01:39 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 PM   #2307
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
Today is still young but yesterday, hauled ~1,000 lbs of gravel up to the retaining wall I'm back filling. It creaks and pops a little under the load but goes, stops and steers just fine.
Is that the truck in your Over My Head build thread?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:08 AM   #2308
Dyslexic Dog

One of these days I'll figure how to post pics. Got the front end off the truck today. Ready to lift the cap off tomorrow. Found out that the front suspension has been messed with. The cross beam is not straight to the frame and one side is missing two leafs of the spring combination.
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:40 AM   #2309
MARTINSR

Got all the parking brake stuff ready to prime tomorrow morning.

Brian

Old 11-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #2310
DransportGarage

I'm continuing to work on wiring, probably for about 3 hours a day on average. I've started by building up my relay panel on the bench because I don't want to be soldering under the dash any more than I have to

The American Autowire "Highway 22" kit is great, but I'm on my own lot of times because my circuits are not on their page. I've got 11 relays that they don't know about, for instance, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now if I could actually settle on the wire colors BEFORE I pick up the soldering iron...
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #2311
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I'm continuing to work on wiring, probably for about 3 hours a day on average. I've started by building up my relay panel on the bench because I don't want to be soldering under the dash any more than I have to

The American Autowire "Highway 22" kit is great, but I'm on my own lot of times because my circuits are not on their page. I've got 11 relays that they don't know about, for instance, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now if I could actually settle on the wire colors BEFORE I pick up the soldering iron...
LOL, yes it does look a lot like mine!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:43 PM   #2312
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
LOL, yes it does look a lot like mine!
That's amazing!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:25 AM   #2313
MARTINSR

You guys are bruthas from different muthas!

I got my five minutes in today before 7:30 AM. Got out to the garage and primed my parking brake linkage and a seat I repaired for my son. I left it with heat lamps on it and came home at lunch to put them out in the sun.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #2314
idbeast

Quote:
That's amazing!
Are your all for the power windows like mine?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #2315
Dyslexic Dog

Quote:

Interesting, As a sailor, I was informed by a Mate that solder had "no place on a boat or a car." As an electrician, I questioned it but now understand. If done correctly, it will work. Unfortunately most do not do it correctly. Proper flux and tinning. Crimp connections are best for 12V. Solder can melt under load plus it will corrode.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #2316
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dog View Post
Interesting, As a sailor, I was informed by a Mate that solder had "no place on a boat or a car." As an electrician, I questioned it but now understand. If done correctly, it will work. Unfortunately most do not do it correctly. Proper flux and tinning. Crimp connections are best for 12V. Solder can melt under load plus it will corrode.
I'm an electrical engineer with 43 years experience in industry, working in special machine assembly (like, installing 8 miles of wire in an engine transfer line for Oldsmobile Canada), electronic test, control assembly, control design, and dozens of other facets of the electronic industry. (Oh yeah, and 4 years as an Aviation Fire Control Tech, USS John F. Kennedy [Phantom II radar] as a sailor.) Never heard that. I guess you learn something new every day.

Last edited by DransportGarage; 11-15-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #2317
Dyslexic Dog

Quote:
I'm an electrical engineer with 43 years experience in industry, working in special machine assembly (like, installing 8 miles of wire in an engine transfer line for Oldsmobile Canada), electronic test, control assembly, control design, and dozens of other facets of the electronic industry. (Oh yeah, and 4 years as an Aviation Fire Control Tech, USS John F. Kennedy [Phantom II radar] as a sailor.) Never heard that. I guess you learn something new every day.
Like I said, I too am in the industry. Not sure on how accurate his wisdom is, but it made sense when he showed the consequences. I think that mostly it is on a boat in salt water but that follows thru to living in snow areas that salt the roads. Not that you would drive your truck in those conditions, but the principle remains.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #2318
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dog View Post
Like I said, I too am in the industry. Not sure on how accurate his wisdom is, but it made sense when he showed the consequences. I think that mostly it is on a boat in salt water but that follows thru to living in snow areas that salt the roads. Not that you would drive your truck in those conditions, but the principle remains.
I just looked at a Holley EFI tech on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faLn-SjVfwY
He preferred crimps, but he was also selling high-dollar crimpers, so I dunno. I think it's all in the tooling, or, as you said, in the soldering methods. I also know there are a lot of solder flow circuit boards out there that work well in the 12 volt range and below. There is a also lot to be said for hi-tech crimping with great tooling, but most of us don't have that around the house.

Here's another video where the guy has tried both, likes soldering because of the way it looks, but says he's seen more fails with crimps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0i3CAELaC8&t=190s
Note that butt crimps were used, and neanderthal pliers. Sooo...

IMHO, good practices make the difference, regardless of which way you go.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #2319
MARTINSR

Got out there and boxed up the parking brake parts for storage until assembly. Pulled apart the brake linkage bracket and pedal parts, think I am going to have them powder coated. But if I need something to do I will sand blast and epoxy prime pieces too to get something done.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #2320
idbeast

Quote:
Well that makes me happy to know that I think like someone who knows what they are doing!
As for the solder vs crimp, I have found many problems with crimped connections, and can't remember any with soldered connections.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #2321
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Well that makes me happy to know that I think like someone who knows what they are doing!
As for the solder vs crimp, I have found many problems with crimped connections, and can't remember any with soldered connections.
As I said in post #2318, "IMHO, good practices make the difference, regardless of which way you go." My problem is, I don't have the high-dollar crimpers to do a good job. I have those one-size-fits-all "neanderthal crimpers".
Old 11-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #2322
vintovka

Quote:
As I said in post #2318, "IMHO, good practices make the difference, regardless of which way you go." My problem is, I don't have the high-dollar crimpers to do a good job. I have those one-size-fits-all "neanderthal crimpers".
Have had resonably good results with a chinese cheapy. I do a double crimp. One to set connection with first set of jaws and second hard crimp with the jaws nearest the tool hinge. I use shrink tube over the connection and pull hard on it to test. Any problems are usually (actually always) my fault and not the tool or connector.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-1-2-...ool-36411.html
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #2323
crossfire84

Get these, best money I've spent.amazon.$40.00
Attached Images

C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #2324
mikebte

Installed my AC vents. Ran my Ebrake release threw it on the driver's vent.
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #2325
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
Installed my AC vents. Ran my Ebrake release threw it on the driver's vent.
It's great to see those little widgets appear on your ride as you work on it, isn't it?