The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
jayrock77

help with airbag front and back brackets on 69 c10

hey all im new to all this airbag stuff and need some info on placing front and back brackets ? I got a so called bolt on kit from chassis tech and come to find out its a semi bolt on kit ther is some minor welding to be done and they sent me 4 round brackets and 4 flat plate with pockets for bags brackets. im a little confused on how they go on ?? let me know if im right on this ?? on the front 2 round brackets ontop of bag then one of the flat brackets go on a arms ? then 2 round brackets ontop of bags and flat brackets on bottom in rear ? then run air lines to tank ? sorry about all this im a greenhorn !! if anyone reading this could help me out with some advice and even some pictures would help me out a lot !
jayrock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: help with airbag front and back brackets on 69 c10

The large squarish looking plate shold bolt to the upper spring housing in the front. A round plate will bolt to the trac arm in the back. You didnt get 4 cups about 8 inches wide? 2 cups would go in the lower a arm cups and two would bolt to the top of tje bags in the rear. Post pics of what you have
Old 09-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
jayrock77

hey thanks Michael ! ya got 4- 8 inch round plates that they took and welded together what they did is took 2 8 inch plates and welded them together with 1inch pipe in 3 spots so they are hollow inside ? and thes plates are cut on both sides for air fittings and bolts ? then I got 2 of the squarish brackets and 2 of triangle brackets ?I hope this all makes sense !! ha.. if I knew how to post pictures on here I would ? thanks again.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
michael bustamante

Yup hollow inside for the fittings. Use pushlock fittings in them. Not sure on the triangle brakets. Id have to see those. The squarish ones toull have to mark and drill holes tto mount those. 2 flat plates should have holes in the center to run a 4" bolt from under the trac arm, thru the plate and into the airbag. The 8" cup bracket will bolt to the top of the rear airbag and viola! Theyre installed. Moun the other 2 round cups to the bottom of the front airbags and put them in the a arm. Lift up the a arm with a jack and mount the bag to the upper sqarish plate.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
jayrock77

wow you make it sound ez ! thanks a lot ! I will try to put a pic up of the kit I got and I will take a pic of the round brackets if I can .again thanks
Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
jayrock77

Name:  20140918_152301.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  39.2 KB
Old 09-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
jayrock77

I will get some pics of the kit so you can see what im talking about
Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
jayrock77

ok I got some more picturs for you. im just not to sure how everything goes on and you will see the bolt holes from bracket to bag don't even line up !
Old 09-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
jayrock77

[attach]Name:  20140918_185521.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  43.8 KB[/attach]
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #10
jayrock77

[attach]Name:  20140918_185700.jpg
Views: 2158
Size:  45.3 KB[/attach]
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
jayrock77

Name:  20140918_184418.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  20140918_185543.jpg
Views: 4175
Size:  47.5 KB
Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
michael bustamante

Ok it looks like those triangular ones bolt to the lower control arm and not an 8" cup like i said earlier. Those are better than the ones i had. Mine didnt have cutouts for the airline fitting. Those round plates with 4 cutouts are the used in the lower rear. (Trac arm) have you mounted the upper plates yet. Get a shrp drill bit. If i still has the airbagged truck id send you pics.
For those lower control arm plates it looks loke youll have tocut off the bump and steer stops. Redrill the holes for the sway bar though
Old 09-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #13
michael bustamante

Were those pics taken in a sheet metal fabrication shop?
Old 09-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #14
jayrock77

no its at my buddies shop he has a little bit of everything. we are both trying to figure out what and where everything goes .but does this look like I have everything ? and did you see how the I don't know what you said before if its the upper or lower bracket bolt holes do not match up with bag ??? im so stressed out ! does this kit look good ? thanks again
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #15
jayrock77

I got the kit from airbagit or chassis tech I thought I was getting a whole kit but then come to find out I need electric solinoids and wiring and fittings ? and I been talking to chassis tech and asking if I got everything in kit and I never got a packing slip or items list nothing no directions nothing ! I have 7 days left to decide if I want to keep kit or return it ! ? I think everything is looking good but only thing holding me up is the bolt holes not matching up to brackets as you see in the pictures ?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #16
redtailboa

Hello I have plans to do the same for a 68 i just picked up and doing research on frame cutting for a SWB, and air bag system . I don't what you paid for the system ,it looks nice , but you would think it would come complete for the price that thy want ,too expensive in my opinion . Try looking at a tractor trailer supply place for air bags and the things you need , just like air brakes . Make your own pockets up , If you have to modify ones you paid good money for what's the point .
redtailboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #17
michael bustamante

Yeah im not liking those triangular lower control arm plates honestly. Youll have to drill six holes to mount them and cut off the steer stop and have the holes for the sway bar. In reality all you really should have to do is mount a cup to lower part of airbag and place it in the recessed part of the lca.
I cant tell from the pixs how the holes dont line up. Do they not line up on the upper bracket in the front? ( squarish plate with 20degree bend) what you do is mout the front bag to upper plate first then use the floor jack to lift the lca and line up the bag to the mount holes in the lca plate bolt together and ssecure the lca ball joint
See those cups in the first pic inbetween the airbags? Those are whay i was saying go in the lca recessed part where the coil spring sits

Last edited by michael bustamante; 09-19-2014 at 12:03 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #18
michael bustamante

Can someone else chime in on. This? Make sure im giving the right info?
Oh and as for a complete kit.... theyre never complete. I spent about a hundred on fittings alone. But use brass fittings. Theyre avail at home depot. And youll have to make a few trips cuz youll never guess which fittings youll need til you start plumbing the airlines. ( speaking from exp) . I thought most complete kits would come with valves.? Front back side to side and pancake will need 8 valves and theyre not cheap.

Last edited by michael bustamante; 09-19-2014 at 11:58 AM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
jayrock77

hey guys thanks for all of your advice ! ok so here is the latest I been emailing and talking to the company for almost 3 weeks trying to ask why the listing on ebay said bolt on kit for a 63 to 72 c10 and its not she said sorry and had the listing changed on ebay ! and figure out why the bags bolt holes don't line up to brackets and why didn't I get a complete kit ! like bracket cups and air valves .what you see in the pic is what I got ! I found the kit on ebay and the seller is from chassis tech or airbagit ! im a ratings fan and I always read the comments and ratings always before I buy ! and ther are a lot of good and bad from chassis tech ! so I took a chance and everthing I think looks good and all that but I just wish I would have got a packing list and didn't get mislead by ther false listing BOLT ON KIT !! and got the right bags and got air valves ! so I know a guy that installs airbag kits on c10s I packed up my kit took it to him to see what he thought . he said it all looks good and going to have to drill some holes and do some trimming on brackets and asked how much I paid for it ? and he said ya you need some air valves like 8 of them ! and ther not cheap $25 bucks each ! so we ended up on ther website and saw a manual gauge setup with mini air valves but it was $80 more then the electric gauge I had .so my buddy told me to call the company and tell them whats up and they would work with me and trade my electric gauge for the manual mini valve gauge cluster . so after 2 days of emails I called and they did it ! so I asked about why bolt holes don't line up ? they didn't no so I took some pictures and emailed them to her ! and with in 1 hr I got a call back sorry sent you the wrong bags ! so I packed up the bags and gauge sent it back I will be getting new bags and gauge Monday. so I was happy ! until I was on ebay lastnight and came across a almost complete kit for 63 to 72 c10 with 2 air comp the right bags round cup brackets front brackets air tank air valves everything besides fittings and air hose from ther company ! for about $80 cheaper then the kit I got !!!! !!! I turned red !!so I emailed the lady I have been talking to pictures of the kit on ebay and the kit they sent me. also I told her I saved every email ! I got pictures of everything !! and I showed my lawyer everything and why I paid more for less and whats the big deal I feel like I got dicked around ! so my lawyer told me to wait to hear from her to see what she has to say then we will go from ther ! you know I hate drama don't want to around it or even hear about it ! so for me to get into a mess like this sure pisses me off ! I will keep you guys posted and more pictures of truck and kit !
Old 10-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #20
jayrock77

ok here is the latest its been 2 months since bought the airbag kit from airbagit.after 100 emails and calls to ther corporate office and found out they sent me the wrong bags and a broken mini air valve gauge and a couple trips to the post office to return this stuff I think I got everything knock on wood !!! so I should be getting the new gauge next week and 1/4 fittings. so they have been hlpful but I will never buy from them again ! ever I have found and talked to a new airbag company im buying from them for now on I just got 63 to 72 bolt on front and back brackets and wow pretty nice. so the brackets you see in the pics above I have on craigslist for sale. so now im waiting for the new gauge and fittings and I can get going on this project I cant wait its been 2 months sitting here looking at this kit and cant do nothing with it ! I will get some pictures of my truck before and after ! thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #21
michael bustamante

So what was the kit in the pic really for then?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:45 PM   #22
jayrock77

Name:  20140831_200643.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  48.0 KB here is my truck now I will put more pics up while working on install and after.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #23
jayrock77

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
So what was the kit in the pic really for then?
funny you asked that my buddy said the same thing so what does it fit on ?? I took the kit to my brothers buddy that installs airbags on hotrods and he said the brackets looked like c10 brackets but I would have to do a lot of cutting also said it looked like a nice kit one of the nicer kits hes seen for c10 .so I got bolt on brackets from another seller didn't want to mess around with cutting.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #24
jayrock77

hey guys I need some advice on what or how to wire up the air compressor ?im going from the battery but I want to get a fuse in ther somewhere so I don't fry compressor ? I think I might just get a amp install kit but how many gauge wire should I get ? and what size fuse should I use ? just let me know if im right im thinking 8 gauge wire ? with a 15 fuze ? thanks and let me know
Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #25
tinsoldier

Hey, I know everyone hates chassis tech. However I already have their kit and trying to work with it. My question is, how does the bottom plate mount to the lower control arm. I have already removed the bump stop but still can't really figure how this piece goes. Anyone installed one and has a picture would be greatly appreciated. I am referring to the triangular piece circled in red. I have already email the company and they are of no help.
Attached Images

tinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote