The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Mt Man Chad

Question Best pre bent brake lines?

It's been a awhile since I've ordered any stainless brake lines for rear axles.
Who purchased some recently?
And how was the price and was the fit similar to original lines.

Last edited by Mt Man Chad; 04-29-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Mt Man Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Gene

Re: Best pre bent brake lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Man Chad View Post
I didnt order SS lines, but original steel ones. Did the whole truck and they all fit great. Ordered mine from www.inlinetube.com
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
POPO1984

I'm happy with my inlinetube steel lines
Posted via Mobile Device
POPO1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
AJLChase

Do either of you have a non factory power booster in your trucks? The reason I ask is I was told by GMCPauls that I would need to bend my own lines to connect to the new position of my new Booster/MC/pro valve because it now sticks out further than what the stock manual drum brake prop valve did.
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLChase View Post
Do either of you have a non factory power booster in your trucks? The reason I ask is I was told by GMCPauls that I would need to bend my own lines to connect to the new position of my new Booster/MC/pro valve because it now sticks out further than what the stock manual drum brake prop valve did.
You will have to do that with any companies pre-bent line.There are too many combinations of brake set-ups. We sell Right Stuff products. In line Tube is good too.
No one offers a kit if you have modified it with aftermarket stuff. No way it will fit. Even if they try to, you still have to bend and reposition the lines to suit
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLChase View Post
No, mine is factory brake booster setup. My differentials are different than stock though, no worries just took care to make my lines conform to what I needed.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
John H.

The Right Stuff Detailing, Columbus, Ohio. I have used them for several sets from trucks, Gto's, camaros and corvettes.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
mbgmike

Quote:
as far as rear axles kits i have installed In line, Right Stuff and Classic Tube., they fit fine.

The rear axle is easy to make and all the above will fit fine. Unless they send the incorrect set
Old 04-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
ItsRandy

Quote:
I bought SS InLine Tubes through GMC Paul's for a 69 long bed. I am still trying to get them to fit. Supposed to be identical to the originals...NOT!
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
turp mcspray

I have used The Right Stuff and Inline Tube. Very happy with both.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
c10hevy

I know this is an old thread but would any of you guys be interested in buying a DIY kit instead of prebent lines? I'm thinking about putting together a kit with everything you would need, after I swapped a 91 suburban suspension and brakes into my 66 and spent more money on gas back and forth to the auto store did I get this idea.

Im thinking multiple feet of different tubing, multiple types of fittings, a double flare, and a tubing bender. Would that be something you would buy or would you rather have the ease of a pre bent system?
c10hevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
z10kl

You have to tweek all of them but I had to do a lot of tweeking on INLINE Tubes front lines. I always used The Right stuff on the Camaros and Vette. I will go with them nest time.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10hevy View Post
I know this is an old thread but would any of you guys be interested in buying a DIY kit instead of prebent lines? I'm thinking about putting together a kit with everything you would need, after I swapped a 91 suburban suspension and brakes into my 66 and spent more money on gas back and forth to the auto store did I get this idea.

Im thinking multiple feet of different tubing, multiple types of fittings, a double flare, and a tubing bender. Would that be something you would buy or would you rather have the ease of a pre bent system?
Personally,I would either use pre-bent from one of the good companies mentioned (I've only experienced Inline Tube) on anything OEM or just get the universal stuff from my local parts store for custom. If I'm doing something custom I expect some trial and error. I already have benders and flaring tools. I even have some tubing and fittings in my shop. It's not that hard to guesstimate what is needed. If I ordered someone else's guesstimate I figure there's a good chance I'd be running to the parts store for an oversight anyway.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Run, don't walk from Classic Tube. Anybody is better than them. Sent me wrong parts & made it seem like it was my fault...
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthebuck View Post
Run, don't walk from Classic Tube. Anybody is better than them. Sent me wrong parts & made it seem like it was my fault...
Yeah we have had the problems before with them. I would not say to run from them. If you don't know what to order as far as your power brake setups they generally will send you some straight tubing to bend yourself.

I personally have been upset with them at times. I still handle their parts cause they do make a good product. Sometimes they have shipped the incorrect parts so I know what you mean.

I like bending my own cause i think its fun. Its hard to get everything to fit if on a modified truck mainly. iI can appreciate the problems companies have in selling brake lines. I haven't found one yet that fits perfect or at least whatever perfect means. Inline tube,classic, right stuff I have used all of them.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #16
mcbassin
Still Learning

I recently did a full stainless set from Inline tube. The quality looks pretty good but it sucked trying to figure out which pieces go where. My chassis had no brake lines to look at so I didn't have a clue where each line went. All they need to do is put a tag with a number or a set of instructions to show where they go. They all had to be tweaked a little too to make them fit. I would think this is normal because stainless is a little stiffer than mild steel lines. I would recommend them for the quality but not for ease of installation.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #17
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

In hindsight, I should have got a coil of good annealed stainless tubing, some stainless rockguard, some stainless fittings & a really good flaring tool. I'd would have been so very far ahead & I would have done it exactly right & I wouldnt feel like kicking myself everytime I see the tubing mess I was sold. I learned a hard lesson. I _would_ buy such a kit c10hevy.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
big_al_71

What I did was buy five foot rods of brake lines, then I bend and flared my own lines. It is time consuming but when you are done they look pretty good

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #19
69SWB4X4

I just ordered a set of rear axle brake lines for a 72 K10 and the replacements are 1/4 inch line instead of 1/8 and the wheel cylinder fittings are too big. The package is labeled 1/2 ton 4x4 but they don`t fit. Anyone run into this?
Old 09-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #20
dfrank

I think classic tube has the best pre bent stainless brake lines. I got them for my 86 k10 and the company 95 chevy 1500 2wd. And they seem like high quality brake lines and we haven't had any problems with them.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #21
CUSTOM/10

I bought SS annealed tubing, SS fittings and the rock guard and bent all my own brake, trany & fuel lines myself. I went this route because I had too many mods to my truck, so I knew none of the stock lines would fit. There's some new copper/nickle tubing for brake lines now that I here good things about. Easier to bend & flare than the SS.

I've heard good and bad things about the pre-bent lines, some fit great others don't fit at all. You could try buying pre-bent for the parts of your truck that you KNOW are stock and bend the others yourself. Just make sure you tell them exactly what your truck is and what year, because there are differences between yrs.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote