The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #26
Cape Codder

Re: 65 short bed, big window restoration, start June 17'

Looks like a great project and a decent truck to start with. Be careful with sandblasting sheet metal I have seen body panels destroyed by sandblasting. It takes an experienced guy to do it without buckling the metal.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:46 PM   #27
ClOsEr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Looks like a great project and a decent truck to start with. Be careful with sandblasting sheet metal I have seen body panels destroyed by sandblasting. It takes an experienced guy to do it without buckling the metal.
oh yes, I know from experience. We have had a few come through our shop that were completely warped and messed up due to heating the metal up too much. No worries here, I chemically stripped all of my panels and only sandblasted the edges/corners where my sander couldnt reach.
ClOsEr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:01 AM   #28
ClOsEr15

I knew I had some problem areas at the bottom of the doors, and sucked sanding/grinding all of the previous filler/fiberglass the previous owner had in there. So I decided to just sandblast the entire inside of both doors, and here is what I found!
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #29
BFD305

Looks like a great truck! Great start with everything there. I just started a 65 small window myself.
Where were you in school at before the Mercedes shop? My son is going into the restoration route as well.
BFD305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #30
rvrfoot

Wow look at them doors and things. Ready for paint the po says.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #31
ClOsEr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD305 View Post
Looks like a great truck! Great start with everything there. I just started a 65 small window myself.
Where were you in school at before the Mercedes shop? My son is going into the restoration route as well.

Thanks! I went to school for 'collision repair and paint refinishing' at my local community college. I tell ya what, it was the big waste of 1.5 years of my life! There are so many kids in the classes who dont care, and have no motivation of learning, meanwhile me and 3 other guys are blasting through fixing dents, and waiting all class on them to finish. I did well in class, and part-time at the shop. Things picked up and my boss asked me to quit school and work full-time for a $4 an hour raise. I couldnt say no to that. I would say, find out what you can about the school and/or program before making a decision. I honestly have learned more the 1 year I have been full-time, than if I would have stayed in school for 6 more months for my degree. Just my 2 cents!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 PM   #32
ClOsEr15

Got the rest of the panels in epoxy last week.

~hood
~inside of doors
~door panels inside and out
~upper radiator support braces
~glove box
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #33
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClOsEr15 View Post
Thanks! I went to school for 'collision repair and paint refinishing' at my local community college. I tell ya what, it was the big waste of 1.5 years of my life! There are so many kids in the classes who dont care, and have no motivation of learning, meanwhile me and 3 other guys are blasting through fixing dents, and waiting all class on them to finish. I did well in class, and part-time at the shop. Things picked up and my boss asked me to quit school and work full-time for a $4 an hour raise. I couldnt say no to that. I would say, find out what you can about the school and/or program before making a decision. I honestly have learned more the 1 year I have been full-time, than if I would have stayed in school for 6 more months for my degree. Just my 2 cents!
A degree is never a bad thing to have. Sooner or later it comes in handy. A local community college shop classes start w/the basics but are effective.

I learned enough to know when to leave things to a pro that does it for a living but have also painted/repaired more than one vehicle in my possession.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #34
BFD305

I think it all depends on the school. Always going to have some students that are not serious. My son started during high school at the local Community College with a dual enrollment program. It did well for him. He is at McPherson College now working on a Bachelors in Automotive Restoration.
I think you are right though. A lot of trades do not require a degree. Hands on teaches quite well. Nice work, keep it up!
BFD305 is offline   Reply With Quote