The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Baby John

Need opinions on Denali Truck

Looking into buying an '06 Denali Truck with about 20K miles on it.

Biggest question I've got is the All Wheel Drive. I have a Z71 now so what's the difference in All Wheel Drive vs 4WD?

I'm looking for a seat of the pants description. Is it really a 4 wheel drive feeling? Is it going to grab the wet grass as I'm pulling my trailer across my field? Pulling a boat out of the river on a steep wet concrete landing? Driving through some shallow slippery mud @ deer camp?
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Need opinions on Denali Truck

AWD means its always working in four high 4WD means you have to shift it in and out of 4WD and you have the high and low option.. personally i dont care for AWD i would want 4WD so i can gear it as low as i want to

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

The AWD in my '01 C3 (the 1st Denali truck) was a NVG-149 by New Venture Gear that would transfer power to the front or rear as necessary. On a regular basis, it would run something like a 38/62 (or near this) bias meaning there is always 38% power going to the front and 62% going to the rear. Having power going to the front axle all the time helps provide better all around traction, not to mention better cornering. The NVG-149 continued in the '02 Sierra Denali's that added quadrasteer. The Silverado SS trucks also used this transfer case. It can transfer 100% front or rear and does everything mechanically, with a viscous unit.

An NVG-149 equipped truck will out preform a 4WD truck in most any slippery situation. Especially in the sand, snow, and ice. Its just not made for rock crawling and stuff.

I'm not sure what the '06 runs for an AWD unit. The Denali SUV's changed to a Borg-Warner AWD unit that worked electronically (delay), and although a good unit...its not as good as the New Venture Gear unit.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken

Last edited by 68GMCCustom; 09-13-2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added additonal info
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Baby John

Thanks for the comments. All good stuff.

From what I can tell I'm very pleased with it. I haven't needed the 4 Wheel Drive yet but I've pulled my trailer across my field once. I think this is going to be just fine for my needs.
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote