The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
truckster

Cordless 3/8 Ratchet

I was cruising YouTube today and happened across this Project Farm video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8yGSigHp1A

He compares four 3/8 cordless ratchets: Makita, Milwaukee, Earthquake, and ProStormer (unfortunately, DeWalt doesn't make one). The budget one (ProStormer) actually surprised me. I hopped on Amazon, and there are dozens of budget brands... so, I'm curious. Have any of you used any of the budget brands, and what's your experience? My thinking is that there aren't too many places I could get with one that would make it worth buying, but I'd like to hear from anyone who owns one.

I do use my 1/4 inch impact driver to make quick work of fasteners that are accessible and my 1/2 inch impact wrench (both DeWalt) to convince any stubborn fasteners to cooperate. I'm just not sure a cordless impact would add much to my toolbox.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:34 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Cordless 3/8 Ratchet

Two things.

Always buy a cordless tool in a system that is well supported, and that has options you may want. Since you have Dewalt just keep going that way.

Why get an 3/8's when you have a 1/2 inch. I am sure if your a professional it would be useful.

I use Milwaukee 12V tools at work since anything bigger is to much to carry to the roof, and is just to much tool. At home I have Craftsmen 19V, and I am starting to collect Milwaukee 18V. Mostly starting off with items to use when camping.

The problem with cheap tools is they don't last or work as good as most name brand. Then the batteries are just not a bargain most of the time.

Plus with the deals Home Depot or Lowes offers. The real price difference can be slim
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
truckin 79

I have a cordless 12volt Earthquake (harbor frieght) ratchet and I also have a AC Delco cordless ratchet. I bought the earthquake to use at the junkyards I visit every other weekend. It has worked great and I thought at the price of 100.00 it was a good deal just in case I accidentally lost it. I have used it for over 2 years now and works great for what I need it for. I didnt really get it for the amount of torque it produces. I got it for those longer bolts that take forever to back out. I break most bolts loose manually with ratchet and then after a few turns use the battery to back them out. I have used the Delco less sparingly at home but same works great for backing out/in long bolts. In tight places it can be hard to get ratchet to fit some spots but 90% of the time it fits just fine. A cordless ratchet is a must for any person turning bolts in my opinion
Old 12-22-2020, 05:35 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I bought some battery ratchets for work..(with company money)..I got the IR brand...they are not cheap...but I dont know of one that I feel would outdo it...they are unreal...I dont know if I could swing the cost for having one at home since I don't use rachets that much..
I also have the IR cordless impact at work...its a beast..my snapon at home is on its last legs and I will be getting a IR to replace it with...but the $$$ will hurt
Dewalt is good but I cant get them to hold up for very long..no telling how many chargers and batterys I've gone thru just for my dewalt drill..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Bimus

I like the Dewalt battery tools but I'm going back to my air tools or corded tools to many problems with tool battery charger even switching battery styles .
Bimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #6
SeanB242

Picked up the Kobalt 3/8 impact couple weeks ago. Already love it and used it for a ton of things already. 150 ft lb which is fine for what I wanted to use it for.
SeanB242 is offline   Reply With Quote