The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #476
skymangs

Re: S10 Swap how to

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks_st View Post
We are in the process of following your build steps on swapping onto S10 frame. Everything has been great but we are stumped on your motor mounts. We are using the 4.3 with the standard trans. What mounts are you using on the motor side when you built the engine mounts? If we use the same brackets that are already on the motor with your engine mount design it will be a solid mount with no rubber isolation.
I buy 71 Camaro motor mounts then I build the lower pedestals by myself. I detailed that in this thread
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #477
mxer666

Great thread, it has helped a lot on my project. Now, my problem: driveshaft / pinion angle. I shortened an extended cab frame 7" to correct wheelbase. I have a 6" static drop, with an Explorer rear end, and went to a 1 piece driveshaft. I have a serious drive train vibration, and am on my second custom made driveshaft.
With all the builds you do, to you have a go-to solution? Thank you
mxer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:10 AM   #478
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxer666 View Post
Great thread, it has helped a lot on my project. Now, my problem: driveshaft / pinion angle. I shortened an extended cab frame 7" to correct wheelbase. I have a 6" static drop, with an Explorer rear end, and went to a 1 piece driveshaft. I have a serious drive train vibration, and am on my second custom made driveshaft.
With all the builds you do, to you have a go-to solution? Thank you
Have you measured your drive line angles. The trans should be pointing down and the rear end yoke up. Their angles should be equal but opposite. Since you have an Explorer rear end I would put an angle gauge on the face of the yoke, measure, then on the face of the tail housing. I used a Wixley digital angle gauge to get my set-up but I think any decent angle gauge would work:

http://www.rockler.com/wixey-digital...Ap4RoC7-Dw_wcB

Harbor Freight sells one similar but is actually more expensive:

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...not%20provided

I've heard guys say just adding a few washers to their transmission mount to correct the angle took away their drive line vibration.

Last edited by HUSSEY; 12-03-2016 at 10:18 AM.
HUSSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #479
DeanTX

If you have an iPhone download the Tremec Toolbox. It has a very accurate angle finder and will walk you through the three angles that matter- tranny, driveshaft and pinion. It will compare the three and let you know which one(s) needs correcting.
Attached Images

DeanTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #480
mxer666

Thank you both. I've learned a lot about driveline angles in the last couple days. I have it pretty much corrected. Because of the drop, the rear end pinion was above the trans tailshaft. Raised the trans 1", shimmed the pinion down
Old 12-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #481
skymangs

[QUOTE=mxer666;7785317]Thank you both. I've learned a lot about driveline angles in the last couple days. I have it pretty much corrected. Because of the drop, the rear end pinion was above the trans tailshaft. Raised the trans 1", shimmed the pinion down[/QUOTE
glad that you figured it out. I always just put the rear end back on the springs, guess I just have a knack for setting up the driveline. LOL
up
Old 12-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #482
skymangs

Here is some pics of my engine pedistals.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #483
skymangs

The Sorry, this is the pic I meant to post.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #484
dettmer13

Glad to see you back skymangs!!! I have a question. I'm working on a 51 Chevy 3100. I've read through this thread multiple times. Can you cover more of what radiator you use, maybe post a link for to speedway motor's site? I'm running a 5.3L LM7 on a 92 S10 frame. Thanks in advance!!!
dettmer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:35 PM   #485
Lookin4the1

sort of off topic to the current conversation in this thread, but google search and the search button here has been insufficient for what I need. I'm using a stock 95 s10 brack booster/pedal setup on my 49 gmc. a 6.0lqr with 4l80e and need to wire up the pressure switch or tcc correctly. the brake booster has 4 or 5 wires going into a plug.. does anyone know what each of these wires go to?
Lookin4the1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #486
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4the1 View Post
sort of off topic to the current conversation in this thread, but google search and the search button here has been insufficient for what I need. I'm using a stock 95 s10 brack booster/pedal setup on my 49 gmc. a 6.0lqr with 4l80e and need to wire up the pressure switch or tcc correctly. the brake booster has 4 or 5 wires going into a plug.. does anyone know what each of these wires go to?
A wiring diagram can be your friend. You could grab an ohm meter and start checking to see what the terminals do when you press the plunger in and out

This is how I went about mine and how my switch hooked up.

The front pair is for the brake light switch. When the plunger is opened (pedal depressed) the switch is closed and brake lights light up.

The rear pair terminals are for the TCC and Cruise Control. They are normally closed. When the pedal is depressed these circuits open cutting the power to the TCC and Cruise control.

I relocated my switch so it couldn't be seen below the dash. See Post 177 here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=664837&page=8

Referenced from: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...p?f=34&t=72495
Old 12-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #487
skymangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSSEY View Post
A wiring diagram can be your friend. You could grab an ohm meter and start checking to see what the terminals do when you press the plunger in and out

This is how I went about mine and how my switch hooked up.

The front pair is for the brake light switch. When the plunger is opened (pedal depressed) the switch is closed and brake lights light up.

The rear pair terminals are for the TCC and Cruise Control. They are normally closed. When the pedal is depressed these circuits open cutting the power to the TCC and Cruise control.

I relocated my switch so it couldn't be seen below the dash. See Post 177 here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=664837&page=8

Referenced from: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...p?f=34&t=72495
Hussy's right, on the 4 pin brake switch 1 pair is normally open(cold, the brake light switch) and the other pair is closed(hot, runs the cruise control or the TCC switch.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #488
47owner

This is great information. I am searching for an S10 donor. I do have the rear end off of a 4x4 blazer to get the 4" width. My question is the engine location. i read, but could not find it again, if I use the 4.3 V6 Vortec engine, it would have to move back 7" to accommodate the radiator?
47owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #489
skymangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47owner View Post
This is great information. I am searching for an S10 donor. I do have the rear end off of a 4x4 blazer to get the 4" width. My question is the engine location. i read, but could not find it again, if I use the 4.3 V6 Vortec engine, it would have to move back 7" to accommodate the radiator?
Yes, the general figure is at least 6 inches to accommodate the E fan. I generally put the cab on and then place the driveline so that the distributor is about 1 inch or so in front of the firewall. If you are using an LS motor make sure there is an inch or so there is behind the passenger head.
On the radiator question; just go to Speedway. And search for a universal 19 x 22 radiator. If you're using the 4.3 or the 5.7 is one with a driver's side upper hose. If your gonna have an LS motor you need the passenger side upper hose.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #490
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47owner View Post
I just did a 4.3 s10 truck and moved the engine back 7", I ran the stock s10 radiator and clutch fan. in retrospect I would probably move it back 9-10" next time. the best thing is I think if I move it back 10 I can use a standard cab one piece driveshaft unmodified.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:53 AM   #491
lower50's

Seems almost easy. Great info guys!!
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #492
skymangs

Joedoh, are you sure you would be inside the firewall at 10 inches.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #493
skymangs

Here is a bit on installing an LS. I use LT1swaps.com for the wiring. Then I make my own motor mount adapters on the engine side. I use Speedway 19 x 22 universal radiator with the passenger side upper hose. Then I go on eBay and buy a straight billet thermostat housing. I use Hooker cast headers(also on eBay) then I place the motor with the passenger side head about one inch in front of the firewall. You'll want to run a maf or it may not idle right. Send your PCM to Brennen at LT1swaps.com to have it reprogrammed to run in standalone mode and have a basic performance tune put on it. That's about all there is to it. The rest is basic mechanics. Oh yeah, if you choose to run an LS you'll need to separate harnesses. The engine and the body. I use easy wirings 12 or 21 circuit harness, depending on how many accessories I am going to run.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #494
47owner

Thanks everyone. This is my first build, waiting on my sons, to make it a family project.
47owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #495
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymangs View Post
Joedoh, are you sure you would be inside the firewall at 10 inches.
I dont think so, I did 5.5 inches on the last one and the clutch fan didnt fit, so I did 7" on this one and the clutch fan fit but there was still a good couple inches left at the back of the engine to the firewall.

This is for a 4.3, not a v8, but I guess maybe I should go outside and measure instead of just spouting

the thing is, when people use s10 V8 swap mounts flipped over to move a V8 engine back 5", it actually could go more than 5" with a 4.3, because of where the extra cylinder bank on a V8 is. on an s10 V8 swap you need to move the V8 forward 5" to clear the S10 firewall, so installing a V8 to stock unaltered 4.3 mounts on can be considered moving the V8 back 5" on the s10 frame, then another 3-5" with flipped swap mounts.

I will go measure, maybe something like the head will hit the flat part of the firewall before the distributor hits the bell part. its coooold outside though, like 16 degrees today!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #496
skymangs

Here is the motor mount plates I was referring to.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #497
skymangs

This is the radiator I use. Both passenger upper and lower hoses. The last 3 are my PCM holder. I usually tack weld and to the backside of the firewall above the steering column. Pretty slick huh?
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #498
skymangs

Next, is some photos showing that straight thermostat housing I mentioned before.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #499
mxer666

I know moving the motor back is better for handling, etc. I used EZ swaps plates to move a 350 back around 4", but mounted the fan in front of the rad, wired in reverse. Works great
Old 12-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #500
skymangs

See how the lower hose lines up, it's almost straight shot. Now I'll show you a pic of the headers I use. Lastly I almost forgot, I tap the back with of the water pump with an 1/8 inch NPT tap. And I put a 1/4 inch brass elbow with an 1/8 inch NPT end. I put the steam tube there.