The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
jvictorv33

1972 - Radio Replacement

Hey All-

1972 Cheyenne, pretty much loaded. Grew up riding next my dad in one just like it - now, my kid ready to assume command. Been changing out safety related stuff with him first - he's going to want to head for the stereo soon Thank goodness nobody cut the dash when they swapped out the factory.

Now to the question: How best to get to the space behind the dash to get this one out and a new one in? Do we have to remove AC components and go in from bottom, or get at it with the gauge cluster removed, or???

Thank you in advance for the know-how!
Attached Images

jvictorv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Coley

Smile Re: 1972 - Radio Replacement

Welcome to the forum!
You will find a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people here.

As for changing out the radio:
Noting that most of the radio removal/install work will be done from the glovebox opening, you will have to remove the glovebox door and then remove the inner glove box liner....and there is often not much left of it once you are finished, lol...so perhaps get a new one lined up.
Once you have the glovebox door and the inner glovebox liner out it will be way easier to get started.
You will also have to carefully remove a few duct hoses in there and they are often brittle after years so you might want to throw those on your order list as well.
Some of the good news is both of those items (glove box liner and duct/hose set) are not very expensive so it won't be much of a cost hit.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 1972 - Radio Replacement

-
Not really easy with air. Here is a diagram of the mounting brackets. Not mine, but I don't remember who originally posted it or I would give them credit..

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
jvictorv33

Thank you, Coley! That's very welcome news. Was not looking forward to pulling those other routes apart. Knew there had to be a better way in. Was thinking about an exploration in the glove box, but didn't want to destroy that liner just to get stymied. Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
jvictorv33

Thanks, Leon - Hugely helpful as well.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
jvictorv33

Hey All -

So, just about complete with a Retrosound upgrade with an additional amp. Everything seems good except I am not getting current in the 8 gauge wire I sent through a new hole in the fire wall from the battery to the amp. Crutchfiled wiring kit used. Included the grommet, which I used. I am getting current in the wire at the battery, at the fuse block (both ends) and in the wire right before it goes through the fire wall. When I test for current just past the fire - nothing... it's the the firewall is a current stopping force-field...

What am I missing? Thank you!