The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
JimDirt

58 Steering Box , Still Looking

Its getting close for me to start working on my dads 58 (as soon as the weather starts warming up) , so i am starting to gather parts i will need to start on the project

I am still looking for a "replacement" steering box (will be using tilt column and not reusing the stock column) without spending $500 , either a Wrecking Yard find , or a "Kit" to completely rebuild my box including gears , as my box is worn beyond adjustment and then i will need to adapt it to the new column

I will be retaining the stock straight axle so i need a box that will be as close to stock mounting/hookup/function as possible , as i do not want to have to figure out steering geometry issues

I have heard about the Vega box , but from what i have read , its not recommended for vehicles over 3000 lbs , and a Vega box from what i have seen are very hard to find used (power or manual ?)

I have heard about Toyota boxes (power or manual ?), but i have not found what year/make/type box is used , and what other components are needed if any , or if this also creates any steering geometry issues without "building " specialty components , again , i want as close to "bolt up" as possible

Or if available at a decent (cheap) cost , a complete kit to rebuild my original box from end to end , as its beyond adjustment and has half a turn slop , and is not fun to try to keep the truck straight at anything over 30 mph (this was how it was 40 years ago , it has not gotten better with age)

I just have not been able to find anything in the $50-$300 range ($50 price , meaning used wrecking yard/eBay parts) ,, which is where my budget lies , i will be picking up a welder before too long (as soon as i find one within my price range , as i am looking now)

Any guidance within my specific needs would be appreciated ($500 or anything close to that is too much for my budget ,period) ........Thanks ........ Jim
JimDirt is offline   Reply With Quote